Radio cord retractors ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon H

Vessel Name
Backchuck
Vessel Make
28' Crozier / Hunt
Anyone know of or have a good solution for getting mic cords retracted
into a console / dash so they are out of the way when not being used?

search amazon for "tool positioner" or tool balancer. Zillions of those. But not sure about corrosion resistance.

Our kitchen sink faucet in the dirt home uses a weight on the pull out sprayer hose to retract. If you have enough cord and free space below the panel maybe a fishing weight would work? Cheap trial to see if you like it too. KISS.

John

Anyone know of or have a good solution for getting mic cords retracted
into a console / dash so they are out of the way when not being used?

Yes, I know the solution to this. Use elastic inside the coils. Thin (1/4") black elastic works well. Buy it at a craft store like Michaels. Then, simply put a small knot in the end of the elastic and use electric tape to secure it to the radio chord. Trial and error will let you know where to terminate the other end in a similar fashion and how much elastic to use.

A self-retracting cord is a great idea! Seems we've had to deal with those coiled mic cords forever, while all the other technology around us has improved. I suppose a boat is a harsh environment for something like the self-retracting power cords found on some vacuum cleaners. And it wouldn't fit neatly into the standard size dash unit. Still, I'd be interested if some manufacturer offered that option.

I've tried wireless mics and the delay is a bit of an issue, although once you can get used to it with practice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom