Racor Management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Magic is set up with dual Racors for each engine. They are valved so that one or both can be in service. In normal service, one is in use and the other is a back up to switch to if the one in service should clog.

Now the question. If, After 250 hours I replace the one that has been in service, do I need to replace the one that was unused as it has sat idle in fuel for about a year?

Thanks, Howard

Now the question. If, After 250 hours I replace the one that has been in service, do I need to replace the one that was unused as it has sat idle in fuel for about a year?
I've wondered about this too! Does the filter element break down when sitting in diesel for a year or more?:blush:

My normal use cycle is 100 hours, but I replace them at least annually no matter how much use they have seen.They are cheap and having a bad one is a real pain.

No the filter will not degrade nor does it need to be changed if not dirty. I would switch just to make sure everything is working

Yeah just rotate which one you are running on when you replace the one you've been using.

I've wondered about this too! Does the filter element break down when sitting in diesel for a year or more?:blush:

I was taught (by the folks that make Luggers/Northern Lights) that the water repellent coating on Racor filters will break down after about a year of use. The filter will still work, but it will no longer shed water, hence the recommendation for changing the filters annually.

YMMV,

It's been my understanding that the coating will break down. That is why you should rotate them as you change the used one in a double element system.

Aquabloc I believe was, or is, the TM name of that water shedding coating.
I changed mine, in a Racor 500, a couple of days ago one had 0 hrs on it I hated to, but, threw it out with the other that had about 150 eng hrs on it but both due for a change according to the calendar.

Appears there are different opinions. Perhaps the back up filter and canister should be left dry until needed?

Reactions: GT6
RAYCOR is cheap if you buy a case.

Change them once a year and sleep better.

For $10. you want to worry?

Appears there are different opinions. Perhaps the back up filter and canister should be left dry until needed?

Absolutely not. You wanted it filled and primed so you can switch over immediately when underway. As said, they're 10 bucks at most.

I always change mine annually, or when plugged. So far I've never had one plug, so just change them annually which means one filter gets replaced having never been used. But that's the "prevent" in preventative maintenance.

Have a dual racor 1000 from the previous motor. Little bit of an over kill for my 107 HP JD. Planned to change the filters annually. Was thinking about switching filters each day when doing the oil check. Didn't like the idea of the fuel sitting in the racor for a year. Wonder if too much switching will be a problem for the valve.

Ted

Have had one filter "plugged" as there wasn't sufficient fuel flow to reach "fast cruise" speed. Nevertheless, it's about time (after a year or so) for me to rotate filters and replace the well-used one.

Last edited:
Switching them once per week accomplishes the same goal with 300 less valve actions.

However, if you have bad fuel, you will slowly be clogging both filters which defeats the purpose of a back up.

How do you dispose of a used filter that is soaked with fuel? Also what do you do with the fuel that you drain from the bottom of the filter?

I changed my racor after 1,000 hrs and it was spotless as well as the bowl.

What would be great is a way to swith them to work in line so that you could use a 10 micron filter and then a 2 micron filter in the second unit.

However, if you have bad fuel, you will slowly be clogging both filters which defeats the purpose of a back up.

Exactly.

Also, why change an unused filter?

Amen I change the old filter, I prime it, Tom the engine, make sure everyone is happy, then switch.

Don't over think the simple stuff

That's why there is a Racor vacuum guage at the helm, see the restriction before it shuts you down.

Ted

Those gauges only really show vacuum at WOT and by then it could be too late. My electronic engines allow a display of engine load and whenever there are fuel restrictions be it the primary or the secondary it shows up there way before I've ever seen any movement on the vacuum gauges. This usually happens around the 200 hour mark and corresponds to about 2000 gallons on a series 500 racor. Never had pleated paper filters in diesel more than a year before they needed changing, but according to an injection pump rebuilder they do get soggy and do collapse creating numerous shop service opportunities. On our boat a clogged secondary caused an 8% increase in fuel use on one engine during a recent trip. It's human nature to try to stretch filter intervals but every time I've tried it I wish I didn't.

Via iPhone.

Those gauges only really show vacuum at WOT and by then it could be too late.

That's a new one on me. Every one I've ever been associated with shows vacuum as soon as the engine goes on, and varies some with throttle level. That's why having the drag pointers is a nice feature.

I changed my racor after 1,000 hrs and it was spotless as well as the bowl.

That's excessive... If I were you, I would be worried my tanks need cleaning. Unless you filter your fuel and you get zero moisture into your tanks, you might want to check that. Just in case.

That's a new one on me. Every one I've ever been associated with shows vacuum as soon as the engine goes on, and varies some with throttle level. That's why having the drag pointers is a nice feature.

+1 With the 450 Cummins, I saw the vacuum gauge moving at 4 gph when the element started loading up on junk from 2 year old fuel. When it reached 2" of vacuum, I switched filters and changed the spent one that evening.

Ted

TomB
Not sure what you mean. Clean filters and no sediment in bowl means clean fuel and tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom