Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
JLD

We applaud your involvement and that of others with Puerto Rico. We've tried to be active as well and met some challenges but hoping for a little progress. Our efforts have been helped at least by the fact the Aguadilla airport is open and usable.

In many ways the conditions in Puerto Rico are only worsening. There are many times more lives lost as a result of Maria than any numbers reported as only those that can be directly attributed to the storm and certified are being counted. There are many times more of people with medical needs who weren't receiving their treatment and have died or persons experiencing medical events but no help available, of persons dying from weeks of stress and exposure. The funeral homes can certainly tell you how much their work has increased.

We hope just to bring a few jobs back there but every day we see more and more signs that various companies have no intention of resuming production. Sadly with the Jones act and some predatory pricing, we can move materials in and out as cheaply by air as we can by water right now. With changes in US tax laws as they pertain to Puerto Rico, the benefits that led to Pharmaceutical and Apparel manufacturing are gone. Apparel is mostly gone already and now 70% of remaining manufacturing was Pharmaceutical. They never would build there under current tax laws and energy and freight costs and I wonder how many will remain.

My past experience in Puerto Rico was on the west side with Aguadilla, Rincon, Mayaguez, Lajas, Aguada. I have never done manufacturing in any location, US or foreign, with better or more dedicated workers than Puerto Rico.

There are 21 states with fewer residents than Puerto Rico. Would any of them have been left to suffer the same?

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #42
Guru

Apart from other aspects of this discussion, it should be noted that many (most?) architects are just working stiffs who do not make so much money to be categorized as millionaires.
I am not one, but I do l know two, one of whom owns a 44ft (sail) boat.

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #43
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I first became aware of war coverage years ago with company planes where we had it on both the planes and cargo but also on the pilots. I carry it today because I learned that insurers have been known to stretch the definition of war as far as they could, far beyond those events we officially label as wars. That might even include the random action of one man who is from one of the many countries involved in war today.

I had an Act of War exclusion. I made sure the broker added the word 'declared' to the policy. A declared act of war is a very rare and unusual event on this side of the hemisphere and is clear enough that I know I won't go blundering in to one.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
I had an Act of War exclusion. I made sure the broker added the word 'declared' to the policy. A declared act of war is a very rare and unusual event on this side of the hemisphere and is clear enough that I know I won't go blundering in to one.
We actually got war coverage and it wasn't expensive. Our only exclusions are specifically named areas which would typically include known war zones and areas of high piracy. The list periodically changes and those exclusions can be removed in a rider for a price. A high one.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #45

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Seems odd beating up on a "rich" guy. I own a small business and work hard. If I make money why am I a bad guy. Expecting the "rich" to bail out people that don't take responsibility is ridiculous. So tired of the "give me" mentality of many.
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #46

City: Alexander
Sorry officer, those damn kids started a bon fire.

Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote