Questions about boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

For some reason I can only cut and paste the whole thing. But I only have questions about....

1. What is a macerator pump? Would my 1987 boat have had one or is this an add on?

2. I won't be doing much cruising for about a year until I learn my boat and it's ways. How long until I HAVE TO change my bateries below. If there hooked up to a battery tender will they last longer? BTW, they look great.

3. About how much will each battery cost to replace?

4. What does 2298 hours on genset mean? Is mine on the new or older side?

5. 2019 services main, gearbox & genset? What's usually done and how much would these procedures cost?

AND. 6. Are there any red flags below on something I need to adress now?

Thanks all.

1987 CHB Ponderosa 42' "Dream Too"
Highlights:

- [ ] Added bow thruster-2015
Garmin electronics-2018 & Garmin depth 2019
- [ ] New galley fridge(2017), new hot water heater2018, new macerate pump(2019, water pump 2015,
- [ ] March 2019-Kevin Ambrose services main, gearbox & genset
- [ ] New starting batteries in 2013
- [ ] New genset battery 2016
- [ ] New house batteries 2016
- [ ] New anchor chain(120’)and rode(300’)2016
- [ ] 3,100 hours mains
- [ ] 450 gallons of fuel out of 500 gallons
- [ ] 2,298 hours on genset
- [ ] Last bottom paint-8.2019 CSR
- [ ] ZINCS-8.2019
- [ ] Varnish cap & hand rails done - April 2019

A maceration pump is usually used to pump your blak water tank over board. Likely it came with the boat and maybe has been replaced a time or two.

2. likely you have a charger or inverter on board that keeps the batteries charged. Did your survey mention this?

4 2100 hrs is nothing for a moderately maintained diesel. I would guess 2100 he is the equivalent if 100000 miles on a semi truck. Just broken in really.

5 plan on spending 1 to 3 boat bucks on a mechanic to service the engines and genny right away. If he doesn't find anything major you are good to go. You can learn a lot from your mechanic so pay attention.

Make sure you check all the zincs on the boat and in the engines and generators asap. Don't trust that list. Do what you have to do to ensure your mechanical system is sound.

Where are the pictures?

For some reason I can only cut and paste the whole thing. But I only have questions about....

1. What is a macerator pump? Would my 1987 boat have had one or is this an add on?

2. I won't be doing much cruising for about a year until I learn my boat and it's ways. How long until I HAVE TO change my bateries below. If there hooked up to a battery tender will they last longer? BTW, they look great.

5. 2019 services main, gearbox & genset? What's usually done and how much would these procedures cost?

Thanks all.

Highlights:

- [ ] New galley fridge(2017), new hot water heater2018, new macerate pump(2019, water pump 2015,
- [ ] 3,100 hours mains
- [ ] ZINCS-8.2019

The macerator is kinda like grinder disposal for the black water system. You likely have one in the toilet itself. If you need to push a button to flush and you hear an electric motor start grinding, you have a macerator Pump in the head itself. Then there are also macerator discharge pumps for the holding tank to do the grinding on the way overboard, or into the MSD device. AKA the **** grinder.

Batteries are three year items. Anything beyond that is either a gift from God or the results of a desulfinator cycle in the battery maintenance, then they can go out to 7 years. All your batteries are suspect to fail at any time even with a great charger. Battery cost varies widely. Minimum is going to be $75 each, and it goes over 10 times that. Lots more different battery technology available on the market today vs even 2016. Since you didn’t specify even a size, cost is impossible to predict.

2300 hours on the gen is low time. If it is a 1987 generator it’s too low of time. Machines like to run, not sit in bilges. Engine service is a completely non descriptive term. Could be an oil change, could be an injector overhaul and valve setting service, not enough info to make anything out.

Unless the top coat on your varnish is AwlGrip, it’s 9 months over due for another 2 coats. 2 coats every 6 months is pretty much required if you just use varnish.

Thanks all.

Highlights:

- [ ] 3,100 hours mains
- [ ] ZINCS-8.2019

1 - Already answered - (you theoretically can only use the macerator offshore (out of Puget Sound) or in Canada under certain circumstances (no pumpouts, certain waterway conditions...)

2 - It really depends on how the batteries have been used/abused. the listing I found on yachtworld indates there are two battery chargers, so they are likely already being charged regularly. (although one of the chargers looks like it might be 24volts, maybe for the bow thruster? maybe incorrect data?) You'll want to learn about batteries and charging. Easiest check for you to do is unplug at the dock for a night or weekend aboard and see how they do.

3 - Batteries vary greatly in price depending on their technology and size. There are advantages and disadvantages to cheap low tech and more expensive modern batteries, again time to start learning about batteries and their care. There are some great past threads here, some that point you to great learning resources too.

4 - The genset is certainly a small diesel, and like your main engine made to run for thousands and thousands of hours. More critical is how has it been taken care of and what kind of shape is it in. Hopefully your survey disclosed an impression on that. As far as age you'd have to look at its paperwork/mfg date, its likely close to as old as the boat. My 7.5Kw Onan is from 1980 and starts and runs great every time.

5 - you'd have to check records of what they asked or paid him to do - as in anything a mechanic will do the service you ask him to. Ambrose is well respected, my guess would be things like oil, oil filters, fuel filters, belts, raw water impellers, heat exhanger zincs, inspect heat exchanger. Maybe some specific check/adjustment to your specific engine. I would expect he would find some hoses to change. I have no idea what this service would cost - I do my own.

6 - No red flags in that list - it is a list of features (although we don't really know whether the house batteries are sized to spend much time off the hook or not....you'll get there though) Based on your battery questions start learning about those. You may find they are fine and will give you another 4-5 years of service, you may find they've been abused or need better charging and need attention. That and start learning the boat systems. You start to realize you are a small public utility; water, sewer, power, and have to supply and repair all of it to your one or several customers. It makes life interesting. Keep us posted, and keep the questions coming!

Thanks all.

Highlights:

- [ ] 3,100 hours mains
- [ ] ZINCS-8.2019

You have already gotten some good advice. The only issue I see is the starting batteries are 7 years old and probably about ready to go. Check on what type and size of a battery charger you have and post back. Check manufacturers recommendations for hours on oil change for mains, transmissions and genset. Then learn how to change the oil. DIY will save you a bundle. If there is no oil change system get a portable pump to do it. It will pay for itself probably the first change.

Overall it looks good as far as the description goes. Good luck.

Sorry all. I did have a survey. Everything mentioned above checked out ok..The batteries were shown to work and some had battery tenders. The old age was noted.

I'm just used to changing out batteries on my others vehicles when they die. Can I keep them all until they die and just change my starter batteries? My cycle is hooked to a battery tender in the winter and fires up great when needed. I can't remember the last time I've changed a battery in any of my home vehicles.

What boat batteries do you have on a battery tender? Like my bike, do I need to disconnect them while the boats running or moving? I know my bikes is hooked up to a plug. But can battery tenders harm a vehicle if connected while driving?

I like the idea and I'll do: "Easiest check for you to do is unplug at the dock for a night or weekend aboard and see how they do".

Is shore power like a battery tender and keep my batteries "fresh" by recharging them? I'll post photos later of my battery tender. Just looks alone, they're kept in solid battery holders and look almost new.

Last edited:
What ever engine & gen set you have order the maint & repair manuals (not cheap) and look up what the mfg says is the proper procedure to not use the engine for over 30 days.

There is usually a detailed procedure for storing engines.
Use their advice , instead of what some dock walking mechanic thinks is OK.

Plan B is to operate the boat -- run it , not just start the engine in the slip, for 3 or 4 hours.
Never start the engine just to idle it to "warm it up" that is sure slow death.

Last edited:
"Never start the engine just to idle it to "warm it up" that is sure slow death.".

I don't get the keys until around the 10th. And I won't even know how to drive it for another month or more

I was told to start the engine every once in awhile for a half hour. This will harm my boat? What do people do in the Winter when they are away from their boats for months? Or it's too cold to take it out for a ride?

While boat shopping, hundreds of boat's looked like they haven't been touched for months at some marina's. Are these boats just dead in the water?

Mine will NEVER be dry docked and sits in rarely frozen Seattle.

Last edited:
You keep saying “battery tender” and I don’t know if you think that is generic for charger or you actually mean the brand name “Battery Tender.” In any event on boat it’s battery charger, often combined with the inverter to be an “inverter/charger.” A boat may have more than one. They are similar to a BT but also very different.

A boat charger will have a lot more amps, it will have specific charging profiles for the specific type of batteries, it will come on when it needs to and shut off when it’s done. It may also have a conditioning or equalization profile to restore sulfated batteries. Many inverter/chargers will automatically sense when shore power is connected then stop inverting and start charging. It’s just nowhere as simple as plugging your bike to a BT for the winter.

Ducatihottie,

You've been asking lots of questions of the forum. That's great in a way. But it's time to really start educating yourself. You'll need a deeper understanding of how your boat and it's systems work than you'll get by having your questions answered here. And with that deeper understanding you'll be able to ask for more detailed input on areas that concern or confuse you. I'll wager I'm not the first to recommend the below sources. You're in for a steep learning curve but it is well worth the effort.

I'd start here with this book.
Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual Nigel Calder. There are older editions of this one out there which are probably good enough for you due to the age of your boat.

Boat Owner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook Charlie Wing

Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook: How to Design, Install, and Recognize Proper Systems in Boats Dave Gerr

Also pay a visit to Marine HowTo and start reading.

Search out YouTube videos by Jeff Cote to get a handle on electrical systems.

Remember that out on the water you are your own mechanic, electrician, plumber, fire department and medical provider. Especially when you feel the call of venturing further north into BC and Ak and help is more than a cell phone call away.

Ducatihottie,

Don't just start your diesel engine at the dock and let it run for half an hour.

I was given that advice years ago by a VERY knowledgeable diesel mechanic, and I have followed it ever since. He was a diesel dude on destroyers, retired and worked for Cummins for several years, and now does freelance diesel work for owners, and knows what he is talking about. He was rather emphatic about not running at the dock and thinking you were doing good when you were actually doing bad.

Ducatihottie,

Don't just start your diesel engine at the dock and let it run for half an hour.

I was given that advice years ago by a VERY knowledgeable diesel mechanic, and I have followed it ever since. He was a diesel dude on destroyers, retired and worked for Cummins for several years, and now does freelance diesel work for owners, and knows what he is talking about. He was rather emphatic about not running at the dock and thinking you were doing good when you were actually doing bad.

Sometimes you have to, just pick up the rpm to 20% above idle or higher. The alternator will charge better there as well. Modern engines, turn them up to 1000-1200 rpm and they’ll be okay. It’s idling, especially when it’s hunting, that you want to avoid long periods of.

Thanks all.

Highlights:

- [ ] 3,100 hours mains
- [ ] ZINCS-8.2019

Hire a captain to spend a day with you covering every aspect of your boat and answering every question you just asked plus many more. You're asking questions that are probably 10 out of 1000 you have and indicate your overall lack of knowledge and experience. Find someone with it to walk through all details of your boat with you.

Ducatihottie,

You've been asking lots of questions of the forum. That's great in a way. But it's time to really start educating yourself. You'll need a deeper understanding of how your boat and it's systems work than you'll get by having your questions answered here. And with that deeper understanding you'll be able to ask for more detailed input on areas that concern or confuse you. I'll wager I'm not the first to recommend the below sources. You're in for a steep learning curve but it is well worth the effort.

I'd start here with this book.
Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual Nigel Calder. There are older editions of this one out there which are probably good enough for you due to the age of your boat.

Boat Owner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook Charlie Wing

Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook: How to Design, Install, and Recognize Proper Systems in Boats Dave Gerr

Also pay a visit to Marine HowTo and start reading.

Search out YouTube videos by Jeff Cote to get a handle on electrical systems.

Remember that out on the water you are your own mechanic, electrician, plumber, fire department and medical provider. Especially when you feel the call of venturing further north into BC and Ak and help is more than a cell phone call away.

+1. Excellent advice.

Thanks: are any of those books you rcomend better for one boat or another? What's best for old CHBs, I'll definitely pick up a few books.

Also, I don't get my keys for another 10 days.

I would say, buy all - but check out Amazon used books. Even latest editions can often appear at used prices. We always go for used first, if the edition is not too far out of date.

Thanks: are any of those books you rcomend better for one boat or another? What's best for old CHBs, I'll definitely pick up a few books.

Also, I don't get my keys for another 10 days.
Brand of boat is almost irrelevant. It's not like Mopar vs Delco - there is no engineering and design department that drives an assembly line. Your boat was built by a crew who did nothing else for about a year. Next to them was another crew who built the same (or similar) boat that was similar, but not the same (okay, probably three crews for hull, deck, interior, but point is same).

Batteries for Diesels are bigger than for cars. You will probably need a pair of group 31s at around $150/ea for each engine. Just a guess. You can wait until they die to replace. Problem is it likely won't be convenient. Get towing insurance.

Head system and electrical system are the most nuisance on older boat. Head system often has older hoses that smell and have calcium build up on inside. You will save yourself some heartache and get decent TP that dissolves in water. Triple ply Charmin and a few women aboard who haven't been briefed in the ways of a marine head will result in a long and messy day.

This forum is great for targeted questions. Seems to help to be fairly specific in your subject about what you're looking for. I've been around boats for almost 30 years and I still ping the forum with stuff I don't know or am unsure of. I invariably get several solid responses, even to gsirly advanced issues.

Welcome and good luck

Peter

Thanks got most my questions answered. It's the name brand "battery tender". Same brand as my cycles.

I'm now confused about whether to start up my boat and run it for awhile. Some say yes, but there's also a firm no.

I won't be taking my boat out regularly for at least 2 months. Plus there'll be times I'm be alone and won't take it out. And Im not certain how soon I can get captain training?

Should I start it up? How often? What RPMS? And for how long?

If I can't drive my boat, at least I can turn it on, steer, honk my horn and play captain for the girls walking by. Girls like Captains don't they?

Last edited:
Thanks got most my questions answered.

I'm now confused about whether to start up my boat and run it for awhile. Some say yes, but there's also a firm no.

I won't be taking my boat out regularly for at least 2 months. Plus there will be times I'll be alone and won't take it out by myself.

Should I start it up? What RPMS? And for how long?

If I can't drive my boat, at least I can turn it on, steer, honk my horn and play captain for the girls walking by. Girls like Captains don't they?

If you’re going to start it to run and splash oil and lubricate, turn it up 1000-1200 rpm, and let it run long enough to get up to temp and heat the oil up. That controls the acid build up in the oil that’s the biggest problem that comes with the ‘start it up for a few minutes’ model. I also use and recommend Lucas Oil Treatment for engines that sit a lot as it has a great film property.

Perfect. How often? Once a week.... once a month? Do you know "about" what temp? Or are all boats "temps" different. Thank you.

Perfect. How often? Once a week.... once a month? Do you know "about" what temp? Or are all boats "temps" different. Thank you.

It should make above 160° if the thermostat is working, anything above that. Sometimes you have to run it in gear to make enough heat though. Weekly doesn’t really gain you much over monthly, unless of course you’re taking it for a ride, then it buys fun.

Oh, I see you’re right across the sound...

If it is going to only be a month or two, I would not bother running them. My diesels don’t come up to temp until you put them under load. At the dock you can idle them for a long time and they won’t come up to temp.

Caphenning, I'll trade you moorage. I'd love to be at Bainbridge or Gig Harbor. Is that huge tug your first boat?

Thanks again ComoDave. Looks like I don't have to fire up the engine much. I do need to buy a few batteries.

Just curious, (maybe for batteries)? Does anyone know if Amazon delivers to your dock? To your boat?

Last edited:
The engine in all likelihood won’t reach operating temperature idling at the dock. It will help it reach operating temperature if you put the boat in gear and run it above a low idle speed. Make sure that you have adequate lines and don’t wash out the bulkhead behind you if there is one.

Caphenning, I'll trade you moorage. I'd love to be at Bainbridge or Gig Harbor. Is that huge tug your first boat?

Thanks again ComoDave. Looks like I don't have to fire up the engine much. I do need to buy a few batteries.

Just curious, (maybe for batteries)? Does anyone know if Amazon delivers to your dock? To your boat?

If my memory serves you're at Fisherman's Terminal? Contact Dyno Battery. Manufacturer of very high quality flooded lead acid batteries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom