Old 01-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
We travelled with a Neptunus 65 from Chicago to Green Trurtle Bay this fall. It is owned by a lovely Canadian couple and is an absolutely stunning boat. I havenít researched the construction, but the design, fit, finish and interior lighting are close to sex on the water.
Neptunus are fine boats, often overlooked. I know a man in our area who was looking, is always looking it seems, and there was a Neptunus that fit all his wish list. Yet, it wasn't a brand he was familiar with and his captain could not convince him, even after he was on the boat and loved it. He went back to a stylish and well known brand he loved and not half the quality of the Neptunus.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Empire, LA
Vessel Name: Andante Mar
Vessel Model: Neptunus Yachts 62
Thanks, I appreciate the discussion. BTW, I do like my Neptunus. It is a solid boat, and it can go fast, but also (considering the size of the vessel) is relatively economical when running at displacement speeds.

My Neptunus came with a hardtop flybridge, and upper and lower full helm controls. The original owner had the air conditioned flybridge enclosed with removable panels all around. With a glass on vinyl windshield and with lexan sides and back. I've already replaced a couple of panels due to deterioration, but am facing in the near future a full replacement or doing something else.

I'm sorry but IMHO most, including my soft sided enclosures look sucky. I wouldn't mind doing a replacement if it looked good aesthetically on the vessel. I'm challenged to find a practical solution that does not take away from the aesthetic beauty of the boat.

Jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the discussion. BTW, I do like my Neptunus. It is a solid boat, and it can go fast, but also (considering the size of the vessel) is relatively economical when running at displacement speeds.

My Neptunus came with a hardtop flybridge, and upper and lower full helm controls. The original owner had the air conditioned flybridge enclosed with removable panels all around. With a glass on vinyl windshield and with lexan sides and back. I've already replaced a couple of panels due to deterioration, but am facing in the near future a full replacement or doing something else.

I'm sorry but IMHO most, including my soft sided enclosures look sucky. I wouldn't mind doing a replacement if it looked good aesthetically on the vessel. I'm challenged to find a practical solution that does not take away from the aesthetic beauty of the boat.
Go to more than one canvas shop for some proposals and pricing. See what ideas they have. Start soon as canvas shops are notoriously slow in responding. I can't tell you they'll come up with great looking solutions but I do think there are many less sucky solutions. Also, you're not keeping the enclosure on all the time. There are different materials that look more like glass. They do have negatives though in maintenance and care. There are different ways of attaching. One thing I see often that looks "sucky" as you describe is that they're not tight and often it's just canvas on canvas rather than any posts to provide better support.

I'd suggest looking at some of the work on these sites:

https://www.pipewelders.com/enclosures

Custom Polycarbonate Enclosure

Gallery

We each have our personal preferences. I personally don't like any "canvas type materials, as much "windows" as possible, as clear as possible, and as tight as possible.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #24
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
On my prior boat I only had one helm. We used the enclosure during cold weather and stormy weather. Without it we would not have used the boat during those times. On my current boat I have a lower helm which has air conditioning and heat. Visibility is generally good but visibility is 100% 360 degrees from the upper helm. Part of me wished the boat had a full enclosure we could use up top in the colder months (typically April, May, October, November) but the cost to add it and upkeep made me think twice. You have to keep the fabric clean, waterproofed, and treat the eisenglass delicately, cleaning it with only the right cleaner, and hoping it does not yellow. I also question how well we'd be able to see through if it was raining, salt was on it, etc, as there would be no wiper or defroster.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Empire, LA
Vessel Name: Andante Mar
Vessel Model: Neptunus Yachts 62
In order to safely and dependably control a vessel in less than optimum conditions from a flybridge helm requires a windshield that is sturdy, leak-proof, and has a good windshield wipers. The vinyl panels that I've experienced after several years do not meet this standard. For this reason I think that a built-in rigid glass windshield forward (with a center opening window) makes more sense for vessels of sufficient size. Surely cost is a factor, but we all know that everything will cost you, one way or another, on a boat.

Jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote