question: tipping the dock master

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For our trips to FL and the Bahamas we are like most. We keep an envelop of fives. It's worth the assistance dock hands give.

I think what a few of you are overlooking is the minimum wage in Canada, is a lot higher than in many other places, and rising rapidly.
If we had a minimum wage of just $6, $8, or even $10 an hour, it might make a lot more sense to just tip everyone.
But the minimum wage is already far above that, and many places pay far more than minimum wage anyway. My niece started a job at McDonald's a few months back, $14 hour from day one. Saw her last week and was asking how it is going, she is 17 years old, and still new there, already making $16.
Some countries pay terribly, generally speaking Canada is not one of them.

I never have... but that is a great idea! I will see if they take it next time we fly (assuming we get good service). I tipped the guy from DirecTV that came out day before yesterday. It wasn’t much... $20... enough to get him a good lunch and a 6-pack to take home.
We recently had 200NTD (New Taiwan dollars,about $4AUD), left when exiting Taiwan. In the airline lounge in Taipei waiting for our flight, my partner was impressed with work of the ladies cleaning the toilets, each of 2 surprised cleaners got a 100NTD tip. Unless we did something with it, it was valueless after we left.

"For our trips to FL and the Bahamas we are like most. We keep an envelop of fives. It's worth the assistance dock hands give."

J.D.Rockefeller was hassled for giving a dime as a tip.

No question boaters are not in Rocky league ,

but inflation adjusted from 1913 , a $5.00 tip ( usually for nothing) seems OK.

I never have... but that is a great idea! I will see if they take it next time we fly (assuming we get good service). I tipped the guy from DirecTV that came out day before yesterday. It wasn’t much... $20... enough to get him a good lunch and a 6-pack to take home.

Apparently some airlines do not allow tips and others do...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2017/06/18/tipping-flight-attendant/102912112/

This says average cabin attendant pay is mid $40K's - don't know if it is correct.

Never received tips while splitting logs into firewood, constructing barbed-wire fences, painting sheds, or preparing/serving hot dogs, sandwiches, and sodas. Pay checks were never considered a living wage. Lived at parents' home or shared housing with others. Got along OK. The expectation was that with more hard work and self-denial there was a better future. I did have the "golden spoon" consisting of parents paying for my college education, however.

Yes - I agree, Never received tips as a gas station worker, warehouse fork driver, lifeguard, floor installer , etc.
But I am in a position to tip now as opposed to being on the receiving end (or not) and times have also changed.

Tipping is not a set rate. It's about how an individual feels about service he's getting and the person giving it. Very subjective. This thread seems to be about people that don't want to be seen as cheap. As in wanna be a respectable member of an abstract community. Status perhaps.

Just tip (or don't) till you feel good. Hard to believe there's so much talk about tipping.

Back
Top Bottom