Old 06-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #101
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Way way back in the 1960s, while in the Navy, we stopped in Tunisia. All the kids there wanted a polaroid picture of themselves. They were dirt poor. Alas, I only had a film camera. So you see, no matter where we go, the locals will alway strive for something. Perhaps it may not be traditional to tip Canadians but, I suspect they are not offended and do appreciate it, so they can buy perhaps, an iPhone? Will we ruin the economy? I doubt it and I am sure Apple appreciate our efforts.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #102
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
rclarke246.....T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness....

unless you are covering financial loss from lack of promptness, I think the word you need is "ensure"....and then the acronym kind of falls apart.
+1
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #103
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And its exactly this sort of thing ruining many places I have travelled to.
Lands that had little tourism and zero tipping culture were great to go to.
Totally authentic, quiet, simple, any travellers you saw were not there for the western world.

Now that they are now seeing the american tourist* McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks etc is invading the land and tipping is becoming expected, everyone wants a fken iPhone and scams and rippoffs are become more prevelant as everyone scrabbles for the $ to buy more crap.

Its sad to see wonderful way of life and culture ruined by consumerism and greed.

* just about every other nationality has been in these lands for decades and not tried to change things.

I think you are conflating 1st world economies with "American" consumerism and greed. Also, can I assume when you say "American" what you mean is US? Or are you including the rest of North and South American as well?

Now, I'm not a fan of the products of McDonalds or KFC (love Starbucks though). However, if those companies are finding a market for their wares in your remote 2nd and 3rd world getaways, it seems to me that those folks want it.

If the way of life and culture that you lament was so wonderful, I would bet that those very people wouldn't want to make any changes. No one is forcing them. Finally, don't you think it is a bit ironic that someone with the financial resources and leisure time that enables them to cruise in a large boat is complaining that the "locals" are leaving behind their authentic, quiet, and simple life? Maybe some of those folks would like to be in your position someday?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #104
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think you are conflating 1st world economies with "American" consumerism and greed. Also, can I assume when you say "American" what you mean is US? Or are you including the rest of North and South American as well?
Large invading corporation.
You see the occasional family run French, Italian, Greek and even US BBQ place and no issue there.
Its when big corporation comes in and brainwashes the public who have never seen this bombardment of advertising, shiney people and product.
Its like an extreme version of cargo cultism is now reality.

Quote:
Now, I'm not a fan of the products of McDonalds or KFC (love Starbucks though). However, if those companies are finding a market for their wares in your remote 2nd and 3rd world getaways, it seems to me that those folks want it.
See above
For many people in the world they want something because the TV told them they want it.
How much crap have you bought very the years that you never really wanted but you have it anyway?

A frightening thing I have seen on Asian TV now is TV shopping channels.
They seem to be selling all the useless product that was around in the 70s and 80s
Obviously there are warehouses full of crap somewhere that is now being dumped on people who have never seen it.

Mana from heaven or John Frum?

Quote:
If the way of life and culture that you lament was so wonderful, I would bet that those very people wouldn't want to make any changes. No one is forcing them.
And in many parts of the country this is the case.
The happiest people I have met in south east Asia and the pacific islands are usually the ones that are away from the cities and the western influence and, when in these areas I now find myself heading to.
Quote:
Finally, don't you think it is a bit ironic that someone with the financial resources and leisure time that enables them to cruise in a large boat is complaining that the "locals" are leaving behind their authentic, quiet, and simple life? Maybe some of those folks would like to be in your position someday?
Plenty of wealthy people in these lands who didn't have to turn to Americanism to get it.
Best coffee in the world in my opinion is Trung Nguyen, Vietnamese by Vietnamese is one example.
Can provide plenty more where wealth has been made yet culture has been retained with no compromise to the western palette or expectation.

I guess what I am getting at with all of this is if I want to see America, I go to America.
I don't want to go to Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia to see it
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #105
Guru

City: Boston Area
Is Starbucks really damaging the Canadian culture any more than Tim Horton's or Coffee Time ? Is Domino's any worse than 241 Pizza ?

Perhaps this is just societal evolution/devolution based on the dynamic times we live in, and is not unique to anything inherently American.

In an earlier post you said: "Its not anti american as such"

And then later you say: "...who didn't have to turn to Americanism to get it."

It most certainly IS anti American and you don't hide it well. Whenever there is a thread on guns, boarding policy, crime etc you never fail to take a shot at the US.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #106
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:

In an earlier post you said: "Its not anti american as such"

And then later you say: "...who didn't have to turn to Americanism to get it."

It most certainly IS anti American and you don't hide it well. Whenever there is a thread on guns, boarding policy, crime etc you never fail to take a shot at the US.
Like I said, I have an issue with any country, corporation and people that forces their way of life, culture and branding down others throats more often than not at the point of a gun.

The reason why America is singled out more often than anyone is they are the main instigator.

Don't like it?
Change the business model.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #107
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Like I said, I have an issue with any country, corporation and people that forces their way of life, culture and branding down others throats more often than not at the point of a gun.

The reason why America is singled out more often than anyone is they are the main instigator.

Don't like it?
Change the business model.
"forces their way of life, culture and branding down others throats more often than not at the point of a gun."

Too funny...
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Large invading corporation.
You see the occasional family run French, Italian, Greek and even US BBQ place and no issue there.
Its when big corporation comes in and brainwashes the public who have never seen this bombardment of advertising, shiney people and product.
Its like an extreme version of cargo cultism is now reality.

See above
For many people in the world they want something because the TV told them they want it.
How much crap have you bought very the years that you never really wanted but you have it anyway?

A frightening thing I have seen on Asian TV now is TV shopping channels.
They seem to be selling all the useless product that was around in the 70s and 80s
Obviously there are warehouses full of crap somewhere that is now being dumped on people who have never seen it.

Mana from heaven or John Frum?

And in many parts of the country this is the case.
The happiest people I have met in south east Asia and the pacific islands are usually the ones that are away from the cities and the western influence and, when in these areas I now find myself heading to.

Plenty of wealthy people in these lands who didn't have to turn to Americanism to get it.
Best coffee in the world in my opinion is Trung Nguyen, Vietnamese by Vietnamese is one example.
Can provide plenty more where wealth has been made yet culture has been retained with no compromise to the western palette or expectation.

I guess what I am getting at with all of this is if I want to see America, I go to America.
I don't want to go to Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia to see it
"I don't want to go to Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia to see it"

Too late for that.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #109
Guru

Tipping in Australia...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...5875c22aa55be1
Old 06-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #110
Guru

Sony
Samsung
Toyota
Volkswagen
Nestle
Corona
Bicardi
Siemens
Novartis
Glaxo Smith Kline
Banco Santander

Globalization is not an American concept by any means, and no one is "forcing" anything on anyone. If people didn't want the latest Samsung phone, a McDonald's french fry, or a Toyota Camry they wouldn't buy them.

oh..and kudos for getting a gun reference in there....touche!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #111
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

Seems to me that there is a LOT about the US that is worthy of criticism. I don't mean "criticism" in the sense of worthy of scorn or condemnation (although there is plenty of room for that lately), but the process of looking at critically. Since the US has been the dominant economy and most significant player on the world stage, it is normal for others to view us critically much as we do ourselves.

However, I think if we are sensitive about that we won't have to worry much longer. The US is figuring out how to become less relevant all the time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #112
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I never tip people for services I haven’t asked for and/or don’t need.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #113
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Bravo, Eric, for trying to get this train wreck back on the tracks.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #114
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Sheesh. What do you do at Halloween when a little kid knocks on your door?? Tell him to get a job? Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #115
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I either ask for him by having my porchlight on or tell him to pass on as my light is out.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #116
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
Please leave your tipping habits at home when you visit Canada. We like it the way it is now, where everyone is treated equal unless they are jerks and money doesnt buy your way to the head of the line.
My experience as a visitor:there is no difference in the seeking or acceptance of tips between USA and Canada.
That said, it seems utterly wrong that a boat owner or anyone else willing to pay for a service or product at the price asked gets ignored for not previously tipping.
Perhaps it comes down to this.The real price is the sellers price plus the 10-20% direct payment to staff, because the price excludes labour. Or the seller could pay his employees properly and up the price 10-20%.
It is a mess. The seller wants his underpaid and money hungry staff to give good service, but they will only do it for tips. He won`t pay them more as he has to raise prices to do it, that might scare off customers,and maybe paying them more would add to his taxes, it would here in Australia.
And how much tax do you think gets paid on the tips? So the revenue is missing out on tax on what we call "the black economy"(no racial overtone) of no tax on hard to trace cash in hand payments.

Like I said, it`s a mess,but it`s written in stone.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 PM   #117
Guru

There are 2 podcasts on Freakonomics Radio that are very relevant to this thread.

Freakonomics was a series of books about behavioral ecomonis that were fascinating for me....as they describe it:

Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool?

What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?

How much do parents really matter?

These may not sound like typical questions for an economist to ask. But Steven D. Levitt is not a typical economist. He studies the riddles of everyday life—from cheating and crime to parenting and sports—and reaches conclusions that turn conventional wisdom on its head.

Freakonomics is a groundbreaking collaboration between Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, an award-winning author and journalist. They set out to explore the inner workings of a crack gang, the truth about real estate agents, the secrets of the Ku Klux Klan, and much more.

Through forceful storytelling and wry insight, they show that economics is, at root, the study of incentives—how people get what they want or need, especially when other people want or need the same thing.

The 2 podcasts I am refering to are: #1 A restaurant eliminates tipping and charges more and pays their staff more.....and customers seem to like it.

and...#2 one about eliminating the use of cash altogether. It would reduce tax evasion, drug dealing, kidnapping and many other crimes.

They are a very well thought out presentation with a scientificly sound analytical background and make for very good listening. I have no interest in them..I am just a fan.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:47 PM   #118
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
Please leave your tipping habits at home when you visit Canada. We like it the way it is now, where everyone is treated equal unless they are jerks and money doesnt buy your way to the head of the line.

I was in BC for the last week and every time I paid with a credit card I was handed the machine to finish the transaction. It always includes suggested tips of 10-20% or to input your own different percentage. One place had a sign that said to let the cashier know before inserting your card if you are tipping. Looks like things have changed stanfromhell.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:18 AM   #119
FF
Guru

"What do you do at Halloween when a little kid knocks on your door?? Tell him to get a job?"

Halloween kids are beggars , not folks who think they deserve a tip for working.

A flick of a switch turns on a lawn sprinkler system.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #120
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
My goodness, how very American: no regard for local customs and a belief that those with the most money should always be first in line. Sad!
My goodness, how very Canadian: ignore what I actually wrote and just see what you want to see. Sad.

(See what I did there? No? Yeah, I didn't really think you would.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote