question: fuel filter vacuum gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting discussion, good links. So if remote gauges have their own issues, has anyone put a few cameras in their engine room aimed at various gauges? This can be a cheap solution and can double as a continuous ER check.....

My Racor vacuum gage takes days indicating a restriction ( dirty ) filter element, plenty of warning that it's time to change the element. I use a F-1 Gulf Coast filter to polish my fuel so this rarely happens. I do change the elements yearly as the filter medium doesn't last indefinitely.
I would however be interested in a wifi camera setup both for the engine room and security if anyone has installed a camera as Oscar mentioned.

I have twin 135hp Fords on my Marine Trader 38, and I am thinking about installing a vacuum gauge on the fuel filters. I don't need a remote display at the helm; just something to check in the morning before I take off. My original idea was to buy some $3.99 vacuum gauges on amazon and stick them on a T on the discharge side of my Racors. But, I see there are super duper gauges for the Racor T handle fitting that sell for $60 to $80. Is the super duper option really worth that much more money?

The super duper gauges have a needle to show the highest vacuum reached. The $4 ones do not. If you can read the gauges when under maximum load you don't need the super duper gauges. Otherwise, you do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom