Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have any boating experience, and if so, what size boats?

Ted

Welcome aboard. Like said above, what level experience are you starting from? There are a lot of classes available. I would start with the CG Aux or Power Squadron in your area. Good luck.

If you are unfamiliar with a single or twin engine powerboat, reward yourself and hire a boat handling instructor. A good instructor will go over your mechanical, electrical and electronics with you describing their function and maintenance requirements in addition to making you a good boat driver. They will also give you some pointers in case of failure of the more critical systems.

Make sure the trainer is a USCG licensed captain - ask to see the license. Check with your insurance broker for recommendations and if you will qualify for a lower rate after the training. Contact previous clients to verify the captains instructing proficiency and demeanor. There are many USCG licensed captains. Most are in the commercial sector. Not many captains have the communication skills, knowledge, patience and pleasure boating experience to train a novice boater.

Expect to spend a minimum of 8 hours (hopefully not in one session) actually behind the wheel practicing docking and other maneuvers. Ideally the mornings are spent docking when the wind is light and the afternoon is devoted to going over the boats systems, handling emergencies and other "book learning". 16 hous total training is typical, 10 to 12 hours practicing handling and 4 to 6 on systems depending on the boat owners proficiency and the complexity of the boat. Avoid the instructors that have the same preplanned program for all clients irregardless of the clients experience or boat.

Do not use the excuse that training is too expensive. Which is what I hear from many boaters. They are buying a boat, they have no problem spending thousands on electronics, dinghy, canvas and other frills immediately after buying the boat, but refuse to spend money on becoming a better boat driver. I'm not sure why boat handling instruction is resisted when people have no aversion to taking flying lessons, golf lessons, performance car driving school and others

Then they embarrass themselves docking poorly or experience railing benders. Eventually the insurance claims pile up and premiums rise. Boat owner gets frustrated or wife refuses to be on boat and the boat owner becomes a RV owner or worse.

Also take the USCG or Power Squadron courses.

Last edited:
You live in the PNW. There are classes available for diesel engine maintenance, corrosion control, refrigeration, pumps etc.

Check with Washington Sea Grant and Seattle Maritime Academy. Northwest Yachting magazine publish the courses on their calendar of events.

It's getting tougher all the time to find liveaboard moorage in Wa State. Get on wait lists for marinas where you want to home port. Money and time well spent. Nothing like purchasing a boat with no place to keep it. And since you're after liveaboard, a home with no place to put it.

Another good resource for boater training would be a charter company school / charter certification course. Most of these I've seen are sail charter companies but time on the water is always transferable to any kind of boating you will do in the future.

If you boat in Oregon or Washington you must have a Safe Boaters Card to be legal operating a boat. Not only that but your insurance agent will ask for it and it will save you money.

The classroom is free online at BoatUS. Even after more than 20 years of boating, I failed the test the first time because I didn't take the class first. Lots of the coursework involves personal watercraft so the class will give you insights to areas of boating you might not be otherwise exposed to. Maybe a 2-4 hour class, worthwhile to everyone here in my opinion.
https://www.boatus.org/washington/

As far as liveaboard slips, they are indeed few and far between in Puget Sound, we ended up coming back to Portland again this year as we failed to find one up north. Lots of them here though.

Just a suggestion but I believe it's a valid one--rather than take a course online to get your boater safety card, I suggest taking one in a classroom setting. The exchange of information you get from those seated around you is invaluable. Most of them are already boaters and will be familiar with the waters you'll be boating in. You won't get that kind of info from an online course.

You may find your nearest classroom setting for a course will be through the USCG Aux in Kennewick. You can call the USCG station in Kennewick (509-586-1110) to find out when their next one is scheduled or to find out if there is one offered closer to Clarkston.

Just a suggestion but I believe it's a valid one--rather than take a course online to get your boater safety card, I suggest taking one in a classroom setting. The exchange of information you get from those seated around you is invaluable. Most of them are already boaters and will be familiar with the waters you'll be boating in. You won't get that kind of info from an online course.

You may find your nearest classroom setting for a course will be through the USCG Aux in Kennewick. You can call the USCG station in Kennewick (509-586-1110) to find out when their next one is scheduled or to find out if there is one offered closer to Clarkston.

This is very good advice.

Knowledge first then skills.
Learn all of the fundamental knowledge you can from books, classroom courses, online courses, THEN spend the money for hands-on training. You will need BOTH because you have no real experience. You can start tomorrow with a copy of Chapmans Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling from a local library.
USCG Auxiliary and US Power Squadrons have classroom courses that are usually 2 hours per night for 6-13 nights. The single day courses are absolutely minimal value to give at least SOME idea of what boating is about.

Try this to find a course near you:
https://www.uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/boating-safety-courses.php

If you try to do this backwards by getting hands-on first, its just mimicking motions with no understanding of what or why you are doing those actions.

If you boat in Oregon or Washington you must have a Safe Boaters Card to be legal operating a boat. Not only that but your insurance agent will ask for it and it will save you money.

Only required if born after 1955. Washington.

Everyone should have the card if new to boating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom