Queen of Victoria collision 50th anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for posting. I had seen the "crash" video before (it's shocking), but the linked article also has a (current) video interview with a fellow who was on the ferry that day. It was interesting and brought it to life in a way.

What is really surprising is that someone caught it on video 50 years ago...

T-Boned! Amazing video, thanks for posting it. A miracle it wasn't worse for the ferry or for lives lost. I live about 30 miles from Active Pass and there is not much room, lots of current and a 90 degree turn at either end of it creating big blind spots entering or exiting. In the era of this incident, Active Pass was also full of recreational fishing boats which the ferries had to dodge. Nowadays things are much better and the ferries announce their approach from either direction with vhf plus AIS helps.

Last edited:
Both vessels not following collision regulations...
Pilot error is only one component of accident.
This before VTS, GPS and AIS or full radar coverage.
Q of V should have reduced speed in case such an event.
15 knots was her service speed in 1970.
19.5 knot service speed came later after been lifted and re powered with MAK's in 1974 I believe...
Photo courtesy of By Jim from Kitimat, BC, Canada - Queen of Victoria in Active Pass - c1990.

Attachments

• 1024px-Queen_of_Victoria_in_Active_Pass_-_c1990.jpg
    1024px-Queen_of_Victoria_in_Active_Pass_-_c1990.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 13
Both vessels not following collision regulations...
Pilot error is only one component of accident.
This before VTS, GPS and AIS or full radar coverage.
Q of V should have reduced speed in case such an event.
15 knots was her service speed in 1970.
19.5 knot service speed came later after been lifted and re powered with MAK's in 1974 I believe...
Photo courtesy of By Jim from Kitimat, BC, Canada - Queen of Victoria in Active Pass - c1990.

Thanks for the anniversary post. That wasn't the only BC Ferry involved in an incident in Active, but it was the worst.

Awareness of the traffic in Active (and other passes) has improved somewhat over the years, but transiting still causes some clenching.

Was fishing with my dad at Thrasher Rock when accident occurred. Got a big rock cod that day... Pop got a 2 big Coho's
Didn't know about it until we got back to Cedar...

Back
Top Bottom