Old 12-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #1

City: Naples
Vessel Name: Tothill
Vessel Model: Grand Banks
3208 Manuals

I'm a new forum member. I just purchase a older GB with mid time 3208's. Where is the best place to acquire the appropriate service and overhaul manuals and the parts manual?
findane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by findane View Post
I'm a new forum member. I just purchase a older GB with mid time 3208's. Where is the best place to acquire the appropriate service and overhaul manuals and the parts manual?

Ebay worked well for me.

The parts manual is not intuitive to use. The key to everything is the engine arrangement code. Use that to find the right pages for each of the systems of the engines. The index for each arrangement is toward the back of the manual. Once you have the correct page numbers based on the arrangement, you can use your serial number to pinpoint the correct parts diagram, if there's more than one option. Once you have the part number, you can input into a Cat dealer part ordering website and see if it has been superseded. If you are doing a big project like all new hoses, seals, and gaskets, this can take a ridiculous amount of time.

I highly recommend buying the latest part numbers for everything, there's a lot of new old stock on ebay, but Cat has made lots of improvements to stuff over the years and it would be unwise to use something they deemed in need of re-engineering.

If you need head bolts, I do not recommend Cat parts. I had terrible time with them when I did head gaskets last year and ended up buying VASTLY superior ARP head bolts instead. For stuff like the heat exchanger end cap bolts, I recommend buying 316 SS instead of OEM, in case there's a leak.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+...client=gws-wiz

Old 12-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
To Mischief_Managed's excellent advice I'll add get a membership to boatdiesel.com. A great resource for all things boat diesel.