Old 03-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quarantine Boat Projects

Well, there seems to be lots of time and with the great benefit of having our boat behind my residence, I really don’t have any more excuses for not tackling the plethora of uncompleted boat projects. Given enough time in health, I may even paint the topsides!

Things like deck cracks & non-skid rebedding stanchions & hardware, two window replacements, closet floor replacement, genset tuneup and sea-cock replacement, bottom job is due, veranda deck sand & sealer way overdue, on & on. It looks like cruising is out for the time being so as long as I’m healthy, I should be after all these things, resources permitting.

Anybody else resigned to doing what they said they couldn’t get around to doing? It might keep us out of trouble, if ya know what I mean.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I'm at anchor for a couple of days. Tomorrow after a walk ashore I start to put the blue masking tape around the brightwork and do a bit of sanding, and hopefully the first coat of poly.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Once back on the boat, cleaning the ER bilge. No oil, just dirt that falls into the ER bilge when opening the hatches.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Will be washing the boat this week and doing final checks and prep for the trip North. Departure won't be till about the middle of next month depending on "Lung Pao Sicken". Should have it all done except food provisioning and filling the water tanks.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #5

City: Langley BC
Vessel Name: Summer Wind
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Heard a Dr. on TV say to get through the boredom of self isolation we should finish things we start and thus have more calm in our lives. So I looked through the boat to find all the things i've started but hadn't finished...so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum xther
stanfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'll continue to fix it as I break it. No doubt I'll have a list of repairs needed when I return from my Quarantine Cruise. It's always that way with a 40+ year old boat.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
Heard a Dr. on TV say to get through the boredom of self isolation we should finish things we start and thus have more calm in our lives. So I looked through the boat to find all the things i've started but hadn't finished...so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum xther
Brilliant!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
I'm still under shrinkwrap and the boat yard is closed until further notice.

I'm working on BSA motors I've been hoarding.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #9

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
Now that there is funny!!
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #10

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Down here in Brisbane, Australia, ‘Beluga’ has been given a present of the dreaded capping rails taken back to bare timber and re-done....
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #11
TF Site Team

We’re working on exterior painting; eye brow, grab handles by pilot house doors plus what ever needs white paint. We brought everything we need and some. We usually wait till the fall but now seems like a good time and I may even get Lena’s help.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #12
Guru

Geez, you guys make me feel like a slacker!

I’ve been doing some hated plumbing projects—a water filtration system that makes us comfortable with drinking tank water—and raw/freshwater washdowns near the bow (the butyl rubber caulking is still oozing out).

Next week, it’ll be time to start on the teak. (One more reason I’m rooting for a cure for the CV.)
Attached Thumbnails
D2091367-0D4D-4FCE-BD31-3DB60E34EE54.jpg   E78744A4-AD6D-4A71-A35B-93CD9A761272.jpg   2B1A8C54-5063-4D4F-910C-1A936A281A69.jpg  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #13
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I'm just scrambling to finish the winter projects, same as I'd be doing regardless. No indications so far that my launch will be delayed, so probably no time for extra projects. I bit off a good chunk this winter anyway.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Installing a new Digital Yacht Wireless AIS transponder. Wireless in that it sends info to Ipad wirelessly, but to the chartplotter via NMEA2000. Was debating using existing vhf antenna with splitter, but the vhf/ais splitters are more than twice the cost of a new ais antenna. So a new antenna it is.

Then there is that new Marine Elegance toilet that has been sitting in it's box on the deck for several months waiting for install
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Wappingers Falls, NY
Vessel Name: Dream Come True
Vessel Model: 2000 Rosborough RF-246 & 2018 18' Carolina Skiff Center Console
Coronavirus Boat Projects

Company restructuring and early retirement last year, we kept the boat out of the water and planned to do some extended trips this year.

Last year I bottom painted the boat before covering it as we had no repairs to complete. This year our boat is 20 years old with regular updates. Decided to add a few more.
  • Purchased new chartplotter
  • Replacing manual pump on toilet
  • Replacing one of the two batteries-normally change every other year.
  • Replaced both thru hull valves, clamps, water hoses, cleaned or installed new inline strainers
  • Found one rooftop railing connection to be leaking so will re-bed all rooftop fasteners.
  • Re-bedding bow rail fasteners
  • Re-freshing interior teak cabinets/trim
We live 60 miles north of New York City along the Hudson River. Marinas and yacht clubs are currently closed with no work progressing to open dock systems. If the resulting season is too short we may not splash this year and just use our fishing boat. Taking the same wait and see attitude with other travel plans while we enjoy a more peaceful initial retirement.
Leonard Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #16

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Marina is still open as far as I know but no idea about the boatyard where it's stored. So no projects now. Not even sure if we are going to splash it this year. i'm figuring June b-4 things even get close to back to normal. Whatever normal will be.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #17

City: East Islip
Vessel Name: Giddy II
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32
angus99- I have that filter at my home kitchen sink. It’s awesome
Mike GB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #18
Guru

City: Trenton
I like that water filter project.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
I like that water filter project.
It’s an easy install and this line of filters has excellent ratings. Aquasana has a 50% off sale, but they’re out of this model. I got mine on Amazon for $125.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
It’s an easy install and this line of filters has excellent ratings. Aquasana has a 50% off sale, but they’re out of this model. I got mine on Amazon for $125.
Were did you find room to put it? That looks like great space.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote