Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
I had a hypalon dinghy. It started coming apart at the seams first time I used it. Hypalon boats are glued together. If the sun doesn't get them, they will eventually fail due to the glue failing. Quality PVC boats are thermowelded. The seams are actually stronger than the rest of the fabric.

Hypalon is at least 2x as expensive as PVC just for the material. Labor for gluing the boat together also adds to the price. However, for high UV environments hypalon is the way to go. For northerners or people who keep their boats under sufficient cover PVC is probably more cost effective. PVC is also easier to repair.

I had both a hypalon RIB and a PVC RIB. The PVC rib was a much better boat than the hypalon one. You get more boat for your money with PVC (IMO).

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
... Commercial ribs are hypalon. ...
All the Zodiac boats you see the first responders, the military, and expedition cruises type cruises use are PVC (e.g. Zodiac Pro boats). They are not adverse to changing the tubes when necessary.

Some military boats actually use Kevlar in the tube fabric.

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"would likely get a cover."

YES! Direct sun or reflected sun , both eat the fabric.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #24
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
All the Zodiac boats you see the first responders, the military, and expedition cruises type cruises use are PVC (e.g. Zodiac Pro boats). They are not adverse to changing the tubes when necessary.

Some military boats actually use Kevlar in the tube fabric.
I appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of each material but Zodiac offers their pro boats in either form. (Hypalon and PVC)
Tube fabric also includes a neoprene off shoot in specialty boats.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #25

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Looks like a $600 difference at the place that has them on sale this week. Looking through the seat cushions now for extra change.
Lollygag1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #26
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I purchased one of these last summer. Very happy so far. Thought that the Hypalon and aluminum was the way to go.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...8?recordNum=10
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
I purchased one of these last summer. Very happy so far. Thought that the Hypalon and aluminum was the way to go.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...8?recordNum=10
Seems like a really nice boat - as long as the specs work out for you that is the key.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #28

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
I have an 8' Zodiac Cadet 240 aluminum hull PVC RIB. Up here in Rhode Island, PVC works just fine. Monthly wipes with 303 Marine Protectant takes care of any UV issues, conditions the PVC, and helps to repel stains. Follow the 303 directions, wipe it dry, and no icky-stickies. At the end of the season, I use Marykate inflatable cleaner. Underway, I carry the RIB tilted and lashed to the swim platform. I go bow-in into my slip, and I keep the RIB in the water ahead of my bow, and only take it out if cruising . My slip is in a fresh water river so barnacles and other sea growth is not an issue, but I get a pretty good brackish water stain on sections of the hull and rear tubes. I'll pull the RIB periodically to clean the bottom. Where the hull and tubes contact the water at rest, I'll apply Aquagard inflatable bottom coating. I'm using a 2 HP Honda outboard, which is OK, but if you want to get this thing up on plane, a bigger engine is required. This RIB's rated max engine is 6HP. And don't think you can row it. Like most small RIB's, oars are too short and it's like rowing a big beach ball.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Very similar to the gas versus diesel debate. PVC=gas Hypalon=diesel. Gasoline bpoats are cheaper and perfectly serviceable. Diesel boats are.....BETTER!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
My dink is a 1976 hypalon. Its 10' and a 15hp runs on it. Its got a patch on it where I tossed in a lobster and the horns went thru, but no other patches. Pvc dinks are toys, like
a pool raft.

My "military" style PVC Zodiac was a grand raid 12' and had spectacular seam failure and adhesion failure to the transom and was zero value at 5 years; That assessment was by the Ft Laud Zodiac dealer who did major repairs.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Very similar to the gas versus diesel debate. PVC=gas Hypalon=diesel. Gasoline bpoats are cheaper and perfectly serviceable. Diesel boats are.....BETTER!!!
Interesting analogy - in our experience our diesel inflatable was less desirable then our gas inflatable.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollygag1 View Post
Looks like a $600 difference at the place that has them on sale this week. Looking through the seat cushions now for extra change.
If you're looking for dink seat cushion/saddle bags, take a look at these.

https://www.boatstogo.com/bags.asp

I picked up a couple of these for under $39 each and found them well built and versatile. I use them to store all my PFDs, first aid kit, air horn, GPS, anchor, etc. The external pouches work well as drink holders. The underbags unzip from the cushion and come with a shoulder strap to easily take with you if you need to.

They are currently out of stock but they place an order periodically to support the back-orders. (at least that's what they told me when I initially ordered)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #33
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I am surprised that there is any debate as between PVC and Hypalon. In over 40 yrs experience boating with a large number of friends and acquaintances I have never, before this thread, heard anyone putting PVC ahead of Hypalon.
As I have never owned a PVC, these comments only apply to Hypalon.
Cleaning: MEK or Toluene and looks like new.
Patching: New Glue, clean with Toluene, holds for the life of the dinghy.
I bought a new Hypalon dinghy in 1988, sold it after cleaning with Toluene in 2004, and that owner resold it in 2017 to get a different style, not because that 29 yr old dinghy was at end of life.
My present Hypalon dinghy was new in 2004. I expect to get at least the same service out of this one.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Just about everything being said in this thread is not accurate. I did some checking in the industry and got completely different answers from two different manufactures. The first thing I was told was military inflatables use a military spec material that is neither Hypalon nor PVC. Secondly, Hypalon is Dupont’s trade name for a 5 layer spec material that they no longer make. That many low end manufacturers are using a low grade material that is rubber coated and calling it Hypalon. That PVC boats come welded or glued depending on manufacture.

In the end both manufactures agreed that a high quality PVC was better than the junk being pass off as Hypalon on low end boats. What they couldn’t agree on was which was better high end PVC boats or high end Hypalon style boats.

Novurania feels that the superior abrasion resistance of Hypalon style material and its superior UV resistance is necessary to make the finest boats in the world.

Zodiac feels that the extra cost of Hypalon material is not worth the small gains in abrasion and UV resistance.

In the end I would have to say if cost is an issue then PVC will be your choice. If cost is less of an issue you will probably choose a Hypalon boat.

Both manufacturers were very clear that junk materials make junk boats.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
I am surprised that there is any debate as between PVC and Hypalon. In over 40 yrs experience boating with a large number of friends and acquaintances I have never, before this thread, heard anyone putting PVC ahead of Hypalon.
As I have never owned a PVC, these comments only apply to Hypalon.
Cleaning: MEK or Toluene and looks like new.
Patching: New Glue, clean with Toluene, holds for the life of the dinghy.
I bought a new Hypalon dinghy in 1988, sold it after cleaning with Toluene in 2004, and that owner resold it in 2017 to get a different style, not because that 29 yr old dinghy was at end of life.
My present Hypalon dinghy was new in 2004. I expect to get at least the same service out of this one.
"I have never, before this thread, heard anyone putting PVC ahead of Hypalon."
There are advantages to each neither one comes out ahead in every category.

"As I have never owned a PVC, these comments only apply to Hypalon"
There are various grades of quality with Hypalon just like with PVC boats. Describing only the material type does not represent each boat in that category on either material.

"MEK or Toluene and looks like new."
Yes - you can generally clean these boats with those solvents, and maybe some orange cleaner for rusts etc. Not nearly as easy as just a soapy water solution - and the mildew that can affect the Hypalon boats can mainly be bleached out as well.

"I bought a new Hypalon dinghy in 1988, sold it after cleaning with Toluene in 2004, and that owner resold it in 2017 to get a different style, not because that 29 yr old dinghy was at end of life."
Sounds like a quality boat - not all Hypalon is made that way and certainly today none are the same as a dozen years back
Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Just about everything being said in this thread is not accurate. I did some checking in the industry and got completely different answers from two different manufactures. The first thing I was told was military inflatables use a military spec material that is neither Hypalon nor PVC. Secondly, Hypalon is Dupontís trade name for a 5 layer spec material that they no longer make. That many low end manufacturers are using a low grade material that is rubber coated and calling it Hypalon. That PVC boats come welded or glued depending on manufacture.

In the end both manufactures agreed that a high quality PVC was better than the junk being pass off as Hypalon on low end boats. What they couldnít agree on was which was better high end PVC boats or high end Hypalon style boats.

Novurania feels that the superior abrasion resistance of Hypalon style material and its superior UV resistance is necessary to make the finest boats in the world.

Zodiac feels that the extra cost of Hypalon material is not worth the small gains in abrasion and UV resistance.

In the end I would have to say if cost is an issue then PVC will be your choice. If cost is less of an issue you will probably choose a Hypalon boat.

Both manufacturers were very clear that junk materials make junk boats.
Thanks for a great post , our experiences are the same.
I think Zodiac still makes tubes in each material - at least last time we checked to buy tubes about 6 years back.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #37

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Love the feedback folks. We are looking at Mercury 280 which comes in either PVC or Hypalon.
Lollygag1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Trading up from a smaller, older, more expensive hypalon dink to a larger cheaper brand spanking new PVC dink makes sense for some.

When my $500 PVC dink fails, I plan to take it back to Costco for a refund, credit or replacement. If that doesn't work, I'm only out $500, not $3500. I can buy 7 of these for the price of 1 of those.

Call me cheap...guilty as charged. I can't help it, I'm a pilot.

Why Are Pilots So Cheap?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Manasquan NJ
Vessel Name: Mayrose
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 pilot
Al,
What power are you pushing the Costco dingy with?
How are you mounting it?
We are not cheap--just frugal.
I assume the seat is mounted in the new Costco dingy.
Greg
Beekeepergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeepergreg View Post
Al,
What power are you pushing the Costco dingy with?
How are you mounting it?
We are not cheap--just frugal.
I assume the seat is mounted in the new Costco dingy.
Greg
I know absolutely nothing about the Costco dinghy but here are the specs that answer your questions....

https://www.costco.com/Hydro-Force-M...100341175.html