Old 03-24-2020, 06:14 AM   #21
FF
Guru

"It is 2 gal, it is above the stove burner, so feeds the stove by gravity. Its capacity is enough to keep the stove alight for 48 hrs"

That is really efficient , our Dickinson unit takes 2-4 gal per day , the 4 gal is needed when below 0F, About 20,000BTU output.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Diesel has about 128,000 BTU per gallon, so he must have the stove turned down to not much over 5000 BTU for it to run that long. Your example of 4 gal/day is pretty much right on for 20k BTU.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #23

City: cape coral.fl
All the above are true and useful information. BUT my shrimp boat has a day tank and it is for coolant expansion for the keel cooler. If this is what your referring to. Nomenclature varies amongst everyone in the marine industry
thorn8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:52 AM   #24

City: Offshore
On a pleasure trawler a day tank may help with ballast trim with clean fuel transfer options?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:07 AM   #25
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I rather think not. To provide trim the the tank would have to be installed to one side which would create a list. Or, one would need two days tanks mounted outboard on each side. Centerline, it provides no trim opportunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickair View Post
On a pleasure trawler a day tank may help with ballast trim with clean fuel transfer options?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:35 AM   #26
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn8272 View Post
All the above are true and useful information. BUT my shrimp boat has a day tank and it is for coolant expansion for the keel cooler. If this is what your referring to. Nomenclature varies amongst everyone in the marine industry

Wouldn't that be called an "expansion tank" or something like that? Do you commonly call it a "day tank".
Old 03-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #27
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I rather think not. To provide trim the the tank would have to be installed to one side which would create a list. Or, one would need two days tanks mounted outboard on each side. Centerline, it provides no trim opportunity.
John, we can keep our boat in trim using the centerline day tank by simply alternating which saddle tank we draw from each morning. If the boat is trimmed side-to-side in the morning, it generally stays that way all day as we run on the day tank. Of course, the same could be accomplished by pumping from one saddle tank to the other. (We don’t have a cross-over hose between the saddle tanks.)
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #28
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Yes, and you could do the same thing by transferring fuel from one side to the other without a day tank. Or, run off one tank until tanks are balanced. That is what I do. Simple, effective. Ian, my feelings have been expressed many times on this forum. I consider fuel polishing and day tanks unnecessary. However, I do much covet your Seaboard Marine dual filter head with vaccuum gauges for sequential filtering. In my opinion this is all that is needed and far better than what most folks use everyday aboard their boats, including mine.

As an aside, a few weeks ago I opened the bottom drain on one of my side tanks. I doubt whether it had been opened since a prior owner had the tanks cleaned in 1999, twenty plus years ago. No water and just a bit of crud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
John, we can keep our boat in trim using the centerline day tank by simply alternating which saddle tank we draw from each morning. If the boat is trimmed side-to-side in the morning, it generally stays that way all day as we run on the day tank. Of course, the same could be accomplished by pumping from one saddle tank to the other. (We don’t have a cross-over hose between the saddle tanks.)
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #29
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
... my feelings have been expressed many times on this forum. I consider fuel polishing and day tanks unnecessary.

To add to such heretical talk, I don’t believe in have a small “sump” for collecting water and sludge. Instead I believe the fuel pickup should reach all the down to the bottom. Suck the crud continuously.

That’s the way my 40 year old single 1600 gallon tank was designed (with zero access for cleaning) and it was perfect. Of course I had built-in “fuel polishers” in the form of twin Jimmies.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #30
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Courses for horses, guys. I’ve had enough experience with bad fuel to know I don’t want a repeat. I suspect I may have some fouled injectors from the last batch. I may never get another load of fuel crud, but if I do, it will be manageable.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
I would think that if you had two tanks then it would be best to transfer all fuel to one and then only fill the other. Then sit anchored for 24 hours to allow the crud to settle. Then polish thoroughly and finish the first one off as well.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #32
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
" I consider fuel polishing and day tanks unnecessary."
So do I! With regard to saddle tanks causing a listing problem, The use of Duel Racors and an accurate fuel gage make managing both problems quite simple!
Attached Thumbnails
Duel Racors.jpg   Fuel Guage.jpg   Fuel on eS128.jpg  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"It is 2 gal, it is above the stove burner, so feeds the stove by gravity. Its capacity is enough to keep the stove alight for 48 hrs"

That is really efficient , our Dickinson unit takes 2-4 gal per day , the 4 gal is needed when below 0F, About 20,000BTU output.
We are in a temperate area, no extremes of low or high temperatures, so typical stove usage is to warm up the cold boat while running, then turn it down to maintain a comfortable temp. That is where the 2 gal day tank shines.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:48 AM   #34

City: Offshore
Quote:
Well, I should have made clear a given station for the supply tanks for this to make sense. My apologies.

It made sense in my mind, as I was picturing four supply tanks at outboard stations. With the ability to transfer fuel from any supply tank - to the center stationed day tank, this would be a ballast trim option. It would be nice for fishing load and or provision usage (long term)
Nickair is offline   Reply With Quote