Old 01-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Interesting reading about the seawalls. Not trying to be a vulture, but my cousin here in Texas owns a seawall building company. He has done it for years and has a great reputation. Iím wondering if itís worth it to him to have a separate crew in PG or wherever, or does Florida have enough contractors? With those prices it sounds like not enough contractors, or maybe just some gouging going on. Here he charges around $250 per linear foot for wood seawalls (depending on the job complexity obviously) so maybe he could make some money and still be the low bidder.
The city has three contractors working now. Two are local and one from the east coast of Florida. The city went out for bids right after Irma so the job is fully committed.

seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The seawalls in the PG area are all concrete. I understand that the city took bids and hired three companies. That still leaves a lot of Coast. Maybe he should come over and look around.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
If your cousin does docks in addition to bulkheads, there is a lot of work all over Florida. But, I imagine there is a lot of work in Texas too.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #24

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Wife and I are going to PG first week of Feb. He is in PG Isles and has sea wall. He'll know what is going on.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The seawalls in the PG area are all concrete. I understand that the city took bids and hired three companies. That still leaves a lot of Coast. Maybe he should come over and look around.
That's a great idea. Seawalls all over the coast fell in. There is bound to be a ton of work for someone with the right equipment.

The only comment I have and it is not a negative is that most of our seawalls are prefab concrete panels. The city is making them by the hundreds. So the first thing your guy would need is a dependable supply of these panels that are jet driven in the canal floor. Then a large crawler drag line on a barge to dig out the yard dirt, save it on the barge, and then refill after the seawalls and caps are in place.

I lived 30 years on the League City side of Clear Lake in Texas. Hurricane Alicia caused my wooden seawall to fail and pulled in the yard behind it. Our house was new at the time and on high ground so no damage.

The repair was on my nickle. I hired some migrant workers to manually dig out the sucker rods and deadmen up from the failed wall. Next they dug out all the dirt behind the wall. Then I hired a pile driving company who operated from a crawler crane on a barge. They drove new deadmen about 20' inland. They next drove pilings in the water and constructed a wooden wall between the pilings. Next, the sucker rods were ran from the deadmen to the wall pilings and welded with all thread on each end. When everything was tensioned up I pumped 100 yards of concrete over the top of my house to fill behind the seawall and fill the sucker rod troughs.

The wall still stands to this day.

I hired all the sub contractors and labor which saved me a lot of money.

One of the reasons that I moved to Punta Gorda was not wanting to go through this financial hit again.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
He just told me has too much work here in Texas, and he just isnít greedy enough to go to the trouble to hire crews in Florida. I respect that.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
He just told me has too much work here in Texas, and he just isnít greedy enough to go to the trouble to hire crews in Florida. I respect that.
Probably wise. Plus they would have to be concrete. Not much use of wood recommended in Florida, not for seawalls, docks, or houses.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Probably wise. Plus they would have to be concrete. Not much use of wood recommended in Florida, not for seawalls, docks, or houses.
Our bulkhead, dock, and house are wood but hell, this is NORTH FL, aka South Georgia....
Old 01-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #29
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Forgive me for hijacking this thread for a minute. We are heading down to PG this Sunday to look at condos, a villa and a stand alone house, to use as a snow bird escape from Connecticut.

Having lived in Oriental, NC where our house got water in it from Irene's 9' surge, I am a bit leery of grade level homes. We are concentrating on second level condos as a result.

I understand from our real estate agent, a long term PGI resident, that on average the homes along the canals are about 8' above the water level. That worries me as the same thing could happen in PG as in Oriental: a slow moving hurricane with the right path drives the water level in Charlotte Harbor up to the 9 and 10' level. I think that in some areas in SW Florida the water may have gotten that high during Irma, but because Irma went to the east of Charlotte Harbor the water was driven out, not in.

So what do you guys think: stay away from waterfront grade level homes, or What, me worry?

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Can someone post a picture of the type of seawall you are discussing? I know when they install seawalls out here they give them a lifetime. So they may install a 30 year seawall or a 25 year seawall, etc.. but its mostly rip rap from what I can tell.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Forgive me for hijacking this thread for a minute. We are heading down to PG this Sunday to look at condos, a villa and a stand alone house, to use as a snow bird escape from Connecticut.

Having lived in Oriental, NC where our house got water in it from Irene's 9' surge, I am a bit leery of grade level homes. We are concentrating on second level condos as a result.

I understand from our real estate agent, a long term PGI resident, that on average the homes along the canals are about 8' above the water level. That worries me as the same thing could happen in PG as in Oriental: a slow moving hurricane with the right path drives the water level in Charlotte Harbor up to the 9 and 10' level. I think that in some areas in SW Florida the water may have gotten that high during Irma, but because Irma went to the east of Charlotte Harbor the water was driven out, not in.

So what do you guys think: stay away from waterfront grade level homes, or What, me worry?

David
You can pull up a Flood Map for the address or the county. Just google the flood map you need. This will give you history for the location as well as the rating for insurance.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #32

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
Also live on Pine Island in St.James City with over 30 year old sea wall. We were lucky and had no damage. But many did and as previously stated, not enough contractors to go around. Hoping mine last my lifetime..LOL
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Can someone post a picture of the type of seawall you are discussing? I know when they install seawalls out here they give them a lifetime. So they may install a 30 year seawall or a 25 year seawall, etc.. but its mostly rip rap from what I can tell.
Note the broken piling under the dock. The seawall is just a slab of concrete with a cap poured on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F886C547-2A4D-47BA-94D4-BAC6DFF727FE.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	72240  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Note the broken piling under the dock. The seawall is just a slab of concrete with a cap poured on top.
Great picture.

Although the city of Punta Gorda will repair the seawall, if that flat slab between the pilings and the seawall fails or tilts because the concrete pilings under it need replacing, it is on the homeowner's tab.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #35
Guru

City: gulf coast
In the past walls were prefab concrete panels with a concrete cap. The rebar inside would rust and weaken over years and eventually they would fail by pushing out near water line. not by sinking.
Many were reinforced with a concrete belt similar to the cap being added at the bottom. Today you can get corrugated steel or plastic panels also with a cap. The plastic will probably last forever.

Adding riprap,if allowed, makes them much stronger.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Wood doesn't fly in SFL coastal. Historically, tall seawalls were cast walls, set into king piles with deadmen. My 8' tall wall lasted almost 60 years, and then one 20"/24hour rainstorm caved it in taking 1/3 of the backyard. Lucky for me, I had sold the house.
Newer, tall, salt water seawalls are done with batter piles, and better poured caps. Sometimes a footer with sheet pile and a pour at the low water line. Rip rap tends to be cheaper, but has advantage with direct intercoastal exposure for wave breakup.
Yes, a total rebuild from a collapse is trending at $1k/ft.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
Great picture.

Although the city of Punta Gorda will repair the seawall, if that flat slab between the pilings and the seawall fails or tilts because the concrete pilings under it need replacing, it is on the homeowner's tab.
Already asked for a quote from the seawall guys.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Adding riprap,if allowed, makes them much stronger.
In Punta Gorda Isles? Surely you jest! Rib rap (living or dead) not allowed.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
In Punta Gorda Isles? Surely you jest! Rib rap (living or dead) not allowed.

Environmentalists may favor them. But looks leakage and life may disfavor them
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #40
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Not punta Gorda, but in my dad's neighborhood in fort Myers the homeowner is responsible. And repair is very expensive, quotes are $1,000 a linear foot. Insurance doesn't cover it.
I was talking with our old neighbor the other day and she said we sold at a good time. Everyone is having to replace their bulkheads ( all put in at the same time) to the tune of $30,000 to $40,000 each. Ouch!

Tags
hurricane, punta gorda, seawall