Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post

The second tip is to pour beer down into the holding tank preferably with it almost at empty and the yeast will eat away at the stubborn solids.

I know this tip is hard to do especially for a Kiwi like me who could be disowned by my countrymen for pouring good beer down the head.

Good luck
Save you beer and just buy yeast packets.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: MILWAUKIE
Vessel Name: Angelique
Vessel Model: Hatteras 80' CPMY
A defect my Grand Banks had that is apparently common was that the copper dip tube into the holding tank which routes to either the pump out or macerator, normally was about 18" long and went nearly to tank bottom, in my case was corroded away to a 4" stub. About 3 gallons is all we could get out. Replaced all tank fittings with new PVC ones from a Seattle marine sanitation company after doing the sludge removal regimen and lots of flushing out. Now we have a nicely working 35 gal system.
Angelique
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 AM   #43
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi Art,
We have 450 liters of fresh in 2 interconnecting internally polished stainless tanks.
When we fill our water tanks we dissolve 4 heaped tablespoons of Bi Carbonate of Soda in warm water (helps to dissolve powder) in a quart jug, pour in slowly as the tank is filling.
It will gently purify the water and keeps the tanks/hoses/taps clean with no after taste or smell.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:37 AM   #44
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You need to install a carbon filter for the fresh flush line that feeds the water maker when you flush it.
I do that as well Capt. Bill, that way I rarely need to change the flush filter for the water maker. I still use the carbon filter when filling the fresh water tanks, overkill perhaps...
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #45
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Isn't there chlorine in most water that we use to fill our aluminum tanks?
Yes but it's just a very small concentration.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #46
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by denloe1 View Post
A defect my Grand Banks had that is apparently common was that the copper dip tube into the holding tank which routes to either the pump out or macerator, normally was about 18" long and went nearly to tank bottom, in my case was corroded away to a 4" stub. About 3 gallons is all we could get out. Replaced all tank fittings with new PVC ones from a Seattle marine sanitation company after doing the sludge removal regimen and lots of flushing out. Now we have a nicely working 35 gal system.
The symptoms of a clogged vent or a broken dip tube would be very different. Anybody who understands a marine holding tank system (and it's very simple) would have figured out the cause of the OP's problem in just a few minutes.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 AM   #47

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I don't want to go too far off topic but on my just completed trip from Sidney to Whittier, AK my macerator stopped processing the holding tank contents. I assumed that the pump had malfunctioned so I went to a marina to pump it out. The pump out also did not do the job so I dug into the system and found that one of two vents was plugged. After unplugging it I tried it again with no results but tried the macerator while the pump out was connected. This resulted in the flow beginning. I carry lots of spares so I switched the pump out and checked all of the fittings. Still no flow without suction being applied to the waste pump out deck fixture. As I carry a wet vac I was able to evacuate the pump by applying suction to the deck fixture and activating the macerator.

I have a vacuuflush system with a sealand pump. The vacuum pump was turned off and the the seal at the heads was broken before we pumped out. The flow rate once I applied vacuum to the deck fixture was impressive, emptying the 60+ gallons in just a few minutes. I recently replaced all of the system's hoses and duck bills and had no problem for 6 months. His boat gets a lot of use(500+ hours/year) and i use digestive enzymes every 30 days.

Anyone have an idea what might cause this issue?

Thanks,
Larry
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #48

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
I have seen the same thing on older Hatteras Yachts. Holding tank pick-up tube corrodes off or is holed and tank cannot be emptied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denloe1 View Post
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #49

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Sounds like your deck pumpout line has a leak preventing the macerator from creating enough suction to prime and pump assuming they share the same pickup fitting on the tank. If the O-ring on the deck fitting cap is OK then you might have a cracked hose or fitting between the deck fitting and pump. Applying suction at the deck fitting and pumping simultaneously is likely enough vacuum to overcome the leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmex99 View Post
I don't want to go too far off topic but on my just completed trip from Sidney to Whittier, AK my macerator stopped processing the holding tank contents. I assumed that the pump had malfunctioned so I went to a marina to pump it out. The pump out also did not do the job so I dug into the system and found that one of two vents was plugged. After unplugging it I tried it again with no results but tried the macerator while the pump out was connected. This resulted in the flow beginning. I carry lots of spares so I switched the pump out and checked all of the fittings. Still no flow without suction being applied to the waste pump out deck fixture. As I carry a wet vac I was able to evacuate the pump by applying suction to the deck fixture and activating the macerator.

I have a vacuuflush system with a sealand pump. The vacuum pump was turned off and the the seal at the heads was broken before we pumped out. The flow rate once I applied vacuum to the deck fixture was impressive, emptying the 60+ gallons in just a few minutes. I recently replaced all of the system's hoses and duck bills and had no problem for 6 months. His boat gets a lot of use(500+ hours/year) and i use digestive enzymes every 30 days.

Anyone have an idea what might cause this issue?

Thanks,
Larry
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #50

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglad View Post
Sounds like your deck pumpout line has a leak preventing the macerator from creating enough suction to prime and pump assuming they share the same pickup fitting on the tank. If the O-ring on the deck fitting cap is OK then you might have a cracked hose or fitting between the deck fitting and pump. Applying suction at the deck fitting and pumping simultaneously is likely enough vacuum to overcome the leak.
I guess I should have thought of that. I was chasing gremlins on the pump side while it may be on the only sani hose I could not reach to change it out. The one from the Y to the pump out tube. Time to get at that one I guess.
Thanks,
Larry
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #51
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmex99 View Post
I guess I should have thought of that. I was chasing gremlins on the pump side while it may be on the only sani hose I could not reach to change it out. The one from the Y to the pump out tube. Time to get at that one I guess.
Thanks,
Larry
The hose you couldn't get to would be the most likely culprit because it is common to either waste port.
Another hard to find problem I had was a defective cracked Y valve on my old boat. This thing caused me a great amount of grief trying to diagnose and fix the problem.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote