Puget Sound NDZ and Dye Tablets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe the whole concept of pumpouts needs to be rethought.

Put the pumps on the boat so the owner has better control than a poorly managed public or marina system....that way just an opening into a septic or sewer system is necessary like at RV dump stations.

Nothing more frustrating than having to go many miles to be able to pump out or venture offshore in poor conditions when one gets to holding tank extremis. With the right pumping system, you don't even have to be that close compared to some pumps facilities.

I would think an opening next to the pump out pump would be possible with little engineering or cost.

Your argument is a waste of typing. Next year the vault will be on line and Seattle will no longer have over flow issues. This argument is like trying to convince a cop not to give you a speeding ticket because others around you are speeding. It’s just not a good argument.

The only good argument is that the state has failed to prove there are adequate pump out facilities.

OK Seattle may be in line now. What about Tacoma, Bellingham and other Puget Sound communities?

It's a good idea. But.... I've been in a few places that had such a system. Often inoperative because people put things on there that block the piping.

Interesting how some, who have been exclusively vocal about Victoria, are now targeting neighbourhoods closer to home.

Let’s be fair. These cities never had an issue until they diverted the street run off into the sewer system. This was an attempt to remove road contaminants from the Puget Sound and has been very successful. The by product was an occasional sewage overflow. This was deemed unacceptable and all these communities have been constructing underground vaults to deal with the issue. Victoria only recently committed to treating sewage and only under great pressure from her neighbors. In the next 5 years all the vaults will be completed and more focus will turn to the boating community. This is why the pump out argument is a stronger argument then cities occasional over flow.

It's a good idea. But.... I've been in a few places that had such a system. Often inoperative because people put things on there that block the piping.

If you are talking about my post, never have seen or heard of one on the East coast where there is always a dull road of inoperative pumpouts.

Not sure what you mean about putting something to block the piping. At some dump stations, they have locks that unroll you pay, you can't open them.

If you are talking about my post, never have seen or heard of one on the East coast where there is always a dull road of inoperative pumpouts.

Not sure what you mean about putting something to block the piping. At some dump stations, they have locks that unroll you pay, you can't open them.
Yes, I was responding to your post. No, they aren't east coast marinas, west coast, Ca and Wa. Standpipes at the slips, not locked.

lol Victoria dump all her sewage directly in the ocean! I'm very doubtful that a few boat would be an issue, they really have to fix the big problem before hitting the small taxpayers with stupid rules like that!

As most of the boaters here who frequent BC waters north of Comox know, there are almost no pumpouts available. Even if the few marinas that do exist (eg. Broughtons) did install a pumpout system, where would the sewage go (for most of them)?? There are no sewer systems on these small islands that have very, very few residents. I doubt the feasibility of being able to provide large enough septic systems to accommodate a large number of boats at once. The only other system would be to install large storage tanks and have barges come in to transport the product. None of this is very practical or cost effective. Also having to motor for long hours to get to a (working) pumpout location is not very practical or realistic either.
I do not condone anyone dumping in a marina or anchorage (eg. Von Donop). That is just nasty. Due to necessity, (eg. in the Broughtons), I try very hard to follow the rules and dump as far "off shore" as possible in the fastest moving water available and use pumpouts when available.
Further north, even fewer pumpouts. However, these areas have better tidal action, fewer full time residents, and a smaller number of boaters using the area compared to Puget Sound.

As most of the boaters here who frequent BC waters north of Comox know, there are almost no pumpouts available. Even if the few marinas that do exist (eg. Broughtons) did install a pumpout system, where would the sewage go (for most of them)?? There are no sewer systems on these small islands that have very, very few residents. I doubt the feasibility of being able to provide large enough septic systems to accommodate a large number of boats at once. The only other system would be to install large storage tanks and have barges come in to transport the product. None of this is very practical or cost effective. Also having to motor for long hours to get to a (working) pumpout location is not very practical or realistic either.
I do not condone anyone dumping in a marina or anchorage (eg. Von Donop). That is just nasty. Due to necessity, (eg. in the Broughtons), I try very hard to follow the rules and dump as far "off shore" as possible in the fastest moving water available and use pumpouts when available.
Further north, even fewer pumpouts. However, these areas have better tidal action, fewer full time residents, and a smaller number of boaters using the area compared to Puget Sound.

Good point. Also the added cost of fuel. In SE Alaska if you look at the charts, there are areas between shores that are more than 3nm. They even show these areas on your charts.

Back
Top Bottom