PT Watercraft - a "fun" project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
I built a Whitehall rowing dinghy that we keep on the top deck of Delfin. It rows like a Banshee and I love it, but it isn't practical as a utility tender. As a result, we also carry a Porte Bote that is so ugly, we don't have to worry about it being stolen, and you can drag it up onto rocks with a couple of dogs and later just pressure wash it off. However, it doesn't row that well and we decided we would like to have a tender that we could also sail. We decided that the Spear from PT watercraft would be just the ticket, and since they all have to be home built, it also gave the Admiral an opportunity to build out a major wood working project - her first. I am only allowed to help with tools that are capable of removing large chunks of flesh, so this project is really her own. What is nice about this little boat is that it is completely encased in epoxy glass, and while pretty, it is very sturdy yet lightweight. It will replace both the Porte Bote and Whitehall (which I have to find a home for.)

She started the project in January and has pecked away at it, and at this point the interior is ready for the final gloss coat of epoxy and she'll glass the hull later in the week. We hoped to have it done by August 1, but we won't make that date. Lots of work, and not a cheap project, but these boats sail incredibly well, row great, and because they are covered in epoxy are very durable and dog friendly.

The Whitehall, looking for a home:

xe53zs.jpg

The PT Spear kit. All CNC, ready for stich and glue:

mj0h1x.jpg

The interior and ready for final gloss coat:

14dmxph.jpg

The exterior, ready for glassing:

zu2ux2.jpg

A finished Spear. No varnish, just epoxy:

2ut6c14.jpg

Spear under sail:

1829mf.jpg

These are also available in a very workable nesting configuration for tight spaces storage.

I was very tempted but the nesting version. It is the slickest nesting solution I have ever seen. I just didn't have the time or space to do the build. Instead, I went for the Gig Harbor Navigator.

Very nice job on that build. That is not only a very pretty boat, but something your wife can be very proud of.

I was very tempted but the nesting version. It is the slickest nesting solution I have ever seen. I just didn't have the time or space to do the build. Instead, I went for the Gig Harbor Navigator.

Very nice job on that build. That is not only a very pretty boat, but something your wife can be very proud of.

Thanks Dave.

We launched the Admiral's PT this weekend. A very impressive rower. We didn't try the sailing gear yet, except to lay it out on the deck and it looks really simple to manage so I'm looking forward to dusting off the sailing skills soon.

This one will replace the Whitehall, which isn't the best take the dogs ashore boat, nor does it sail. Now I have to find someone who wants the Whitehall....

Attachments

• DSC_0171.jpg
    DSC_0171.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 70
Wow that’s really nice! Did you use the PT Watervraft instructions for painting it with Interlux Briteside paint?

Wow that’s really nice! Did you use the PT Watervraft instructions for painting it with Interlux Briteside paint?

We used two part catalyzed Perfection paint from the same company. I'm used to Awlgrip, but the Admiral is a stickler for following directions and that is what they recommended. The founder of the company, Russel Brand, is a Jedi master when it comes to epoxy. He can lay it out on vertical surfaces and end up with an absolutely smooth finish. I have no clue how he does, but we certainly couldn't, so we applied six coats of Bristol by spray. We'll see how that holds up, but PT's approach to leaving the epoxy uncovered doesn't seem like a great idea due to UV light deterioration and clouding.

To Delfin's wife [sorry, but I haven't heard your name; except "Admiral"] I give you my kudos and super tall praise!

To Delfin... tis another side of you I now see!

To TF members following this tread. May we all give applause and a Big Thumbs Up!! :thumb:

My mistake, I meant Perfection. I’ve used Brands instructions on two boats now with great results. If you thin it to his instructions, just roll it on and walk away. It flattens right out.

To Delfin's wife [sorry, but I haven't heard your name; except "Admiral"] I give you my kudos and super tall praise!

To Delfin... tis another side of you I now see!

To TF members following this tread. May we all give applause and a Big Thumbs Up!! :thumb:

Thank you Art, I will pass on your very kind words to Admiral Cheryl, my better two thirds.

Just for accuracy it's Russell Brown. Interesting guy with a lot of good ideas. The PT Skiff is gorgeous.
I know he uses West System epoxy and their #207 clear hardener that has some UV provides some UV protection but even WS says it needs to be protected with exterior varnish for UV protection.
I've rolled and tipped a number of different LP's and rolled Perfection using his technique. I get about the same result, a little nicer if you roll and tip but not much and using his technique there is no brush to clean so that's a plus. Where his roll only technique falls down is on something with a lot of inside corners and details. You can't get a roller in and with the small amount of thinner he uses the paint doesn't brush.

Just for accuracy it's Russell Brown. Interesting guy with a lot of good ideas. The PT Skiff is gorgeous.
I know he uses West System epoxy and their #207 clear hardener that has some UV provides some UV protection but even WS says it needs to be protected with exterior varnish for UV protection.
I've rolled and tipped a number of different LP's and rolled Perfection using his technique. I get about the same result, a little nicer if you roll and tip but not much and using his technique there is no brush to clean so that's a plus. Where his roll only technique falls down is on something with a lot of inside corners and details. You can't get a roller in and with the small amount of thinner he uses the paint doesn't brush.

Quite right, Russell Brown....

Lovely boat. I would have built one myself but I lacked the time and space.

More of Russell's magic!!!

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 214
Delfin,
We have a 10’ sailboat we use as a rowing/OB tender/dinghy. Hope your’s rows w better directional stability than ours. It rows fine but it requires your full attention on the oars. And it’s shape aft is similar to ours. I think it’s a “Holiday” boat made in Calif. Powers fine w up to 6hp.

We now have a 12’ sailboat/rowboat/OB but it’s a bit large. Have no sails. Haven’t rowed it yet but looks like it should do very well. It’s a Gig Harbor “Defiance”.

Last edited:
Delfin,
We have a 10’ sailboat we use as a rowing/OB tender/dinghy. Hope your’s rows w better directional stability than ours. It rows fine but it requires your full attention on the oars. And it’s shape aft is similar to ours. I think it’s a “Holiday” boat made in Calif. Powers fine w up to 6hp.

We now have a 12’ sailboat/rowboat/OB but it’s a bit large. Have no sails. Haven’t rowed it yet but looks like it should do very well. It’s a Gig Harbor “Defiance”.

It seems to track very well. I rowed it around Pearl Island at Roche Harbor and felt like it was almost as good a rower as my Whitehall. PT Watercraft are pretty "green", so don't discuss something as unenlightened as an outboard motor on one of their craft. So, we made an appropriate mount, covered in heavy leather, for cinching down our 2.5 hp Suzuki. The boat only weighs 85 pounds, so should scoot along just fine with that.

We had a chance to try out the sails Friday, Saturday. Because the boat only weighs 85#, it only takes a light breeze to really get moving. Loads of fun....:dance:

Attachments

• Spear.jpg
    Spear.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom