Old 06-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Provisions for assistance towing

I didn't want to sidetrack another thread but I am curious what/if any modifications are boats used in assistance towing. I'd be really interested to hear psneeld's input.

I'm only asking out of curiosity, I've heard hearsay that for inboards, the transmissions are upgraded, I'm not sure about this. I can see that the towing bits (whatever they are called) are beefy and probably tied into stringers but there are probably other mods that I'm ignorant of and would greatly appreciate hearing about.

I'm also interested in the general thoughts on the assistance business, my earliest boating memories where in the 80's but I cannot remember assistance boats being around and it was pretty common place for recreational boaters to two each other back to a ramp or marina.

I appreciate they service provided and am not questioning their value, just find it intriguing.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Generally you'd have the boat underpropped for running light, as that'll let the engine rev higher when loaded with a heavy tow, giving you more available power.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Gd. Perhaps the increase in litigious actions has opened a niche for towing services? Pros can do a much better job than the boat you flagged down and the pros are on call 24/7. Help is available if you go aground at O-dark thirty.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #4

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
Having towed a bit I think the most important items are two good bits, one forward and one aft. The aft one we’ll forward of the rudder and prop. Secondly two reels for the towing line Mounted by each bit. Two large fenders and accompanying short lines for towing alongside. Finally a good spot light, deck working lights and enough electronics to find the distressed boat.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Back until sometime in the 80s the US Coast Guard did all of the towing of disabled boats. There wasn't much if any of Tow Boat US or Seatow. But the USCG changed their policies back then and stopped towing most disabled boats. They still would if it were a life or death situation, but in general, no. Since then the two mentioned above have dominated the business.

Once in Galveston Bay I listened to the Coast Guard's conversation with a grounded boat. He was being slammed by wakes from passing freighters and even though he wasn't in (much) risk, his boat a sailboat was about to have its keel ripped off. He told the Coast Guard that he couldn't afford a tow company. They just ignored him until he finally gave in and let one of the commercial towing companies help him. I don't know how it ended.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Actually the USCG stopped most towing BECAUSE OF Seatow and TowBoatUS. It's illegal for the US government to compete with private business and if there was a commercial operator around they had to defer to them. I was active with the USCGaux at the time, had worked long and hard learning how to tow safely, and then they wouldn't let us do it anymore.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We were in the CG Aux for over 30 years and have towed literally hundreds of boats. We used a bridle from the two stern cleats. They had to be thru bolted and have backing plates. Neve had any problems with the many boats we used for towing, but then we didn’t push it that hard. If it took a while longer, it was ok to go slower. Some of our tows lasted for hours. In side tows we used every fender we had and also the victims boat fenders. Watch fingers and hands between the boats, a good friend lost part of one finger trying to stop the boats from hitting each other. Fish food… He was very upset when a doctor flicked the piece of his finger overboard and said “fish food”.

The CG had to change its non emergency towing policies due to being sued by some towing company. The government isn’t supposed to compete with private companies. The policy when we retired, and I assume still is, is that if it is an emergency situation they will tow. If not they will broadcast a MARB, Marine Assistance Request Broadcast, and see if any commercial salvors want the tow. If there is a life threatening situation that will enable the CG to do the tow. For instance someone on board is injured or sick. Or if night is coming on that can up the status of the situation.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwinks View Post
Actually the USCG stopped most towing BECAUSE OF Seatow and TowBoatUS. It's illegal for the US government to compete with private business and if there was a commercial operator around they had to defer to them. I was active with the USCGaux at the time, had worked long and hard learning how to tow safely, and then they wouldn't let us do it anymore.
We did towing until we retired a couple of years ago. The policy was that if the boat called the CG for assistance they would do a MARB. If no commercial salvor wanted the tow, it was ours. If we “came upon” a boat then we could tow it. In Michigan there wasn’t as much towing as when we lived in Arizona. In Arizona it wasn’t uncommon for us to tow 3 to 6 boats in an 8 hour patrol. The Arizona towing made Sector San Diego the top in assists in the CG when I was in leadership there. Made the Sector Commander very happy.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. C. Arizona??? Is there even any water there?

Old 06-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Every boat we have owned has the cleats thru bolted and backed up with a plate. Our last boat had 2 additional bow cleats that were added by some PO. They were thru bolted but no backing plates. I added plates to them. It is a good idea to check your cleats and make sure they are installed properly. If you need a tow, that isn’t the time to find out that they aren’t backed up when the cleat pulls off. It can become a missile with the line snap back. Also some of the commercial salvors tow at a pretty fast clip. It can put enormous strain of the hardware. We always towed a a slow speed to reduce the stress on the hardware and towline. But commercial guys are in it to make money and time is money so they may tow really fast, relatively speaking.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. C. Arizona??? Is there even any water there?

There used to be, before the current drought has drawn down the lakes. Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Lake Mojave, Lake Havasu, Lake Pleasant, Lake Roosevelt were where we did our boating. You did have to drive a ways to get to them and we generally towed the boats. We left some of them in the water but would tow them to various lakes depending on what we wanted to do. Towing to Lake Powell was fun, 6,500’ elevations and some fun grades made it an interesting tow. But Lake Powell was gorgeous. Not so much this year as it is way down.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
As far as boats....have seen all kinds used.

The company I worked for used Shamrocks with keel drive, standard BW transmissions, oversized 4 bladed props, Carbed 454 320hp, and large double bit towing points.

The towing bits were well forward of the rudder as no stern mounted ponts would be suitable for many operations.

Many operators prefer twin outboards, but very often our shamrocks could do dtuff that the outboard ribs only dreamed of. True the ribs were more maneuverable, so we just had to be good boat handlers....and it worked out.

As to the business end...depends on where located and is it seaonal or not. Then, what kind of "other" marine business will supplement during slow times. Another challenge is getting/keeping captains and how to pay them.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #13

City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: 1991 DeFever 49 RPH
There are no commercial tow services in SE AK, so the Coast Guard will tow here.
SeaDogAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #14
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwinks View Post
Your wrong sir... There wouldn't be an assistance towing industry unless the CG got out of the Non Emergency towing Biz... It happened in the 80's but took YEARS for the public to believe and accept it...The Coast Guard wasn't exactly cooperative in the early years adhering to their new policy...
Old 06-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
You're both sorta correct. Laws were passed making it illegal for the US Government to compete with private business. Private assistance towers started to appear as a result of this. As that happened, USCG tows became less and less frequent in many areas as private towing companies became plentiful enough to accept most tow jobs, meaning the USCG rarely had the option to tow. There are still areas with no private towing available, so the USCG will still tow in those areas.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:43 PM   #16
Guru

Here's a good one.

Rumor had it that BoatUS originally asked Sea Tow to be their towing conpany.

The founder rejected the idea. The rest is history.

Imagine where that might have gone.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:30 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
You're both sorta correct. Laws were passed making it illegal for the US Government to compete with private business. Private assistance towers started to appear as a result of this. As that happened, USCG tows became less and less frequent in many areas as private towing companies became plentiful enough to accept most tow jobs, meaning the USCG rarely had the option to tow. There are still areas with no private towing available, so the USCG will still tow in those areas.
That's pretty much how I remember it. We were doing tows, then a Seatow franchise opened here and we couldn't tow unless they refused. And they hardly ever refused. Once or twice we happened upon something, but as soon as we radioed in that we had a disabled, Seatow would come on and say they wanted it. If it was life threatening, the active CG would take over, often with a helicopter which of course we Auxiliarists didn't have.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:45 PM   #18
Guru

We still did a lot of patrols, but if we found a disabled boat we just ended up standing by till the yellow boat arrived. Tended to p**s off the boater cause he knew we'd tow him for free and he'd have to take out a second mortgage to pay Seatow. They did get a lot of memberships that way though. Funny thing is even with all the business there wasnt enough for the operator to make a living at it so he quit. I later ended up working with him on the University research vessels I helped run.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:48 PM   #19
Guru

Things have changed quite a bit.

The working relationship at least where I was was extremely cooperative between assistance towing and the USCG. Also the public gets it better and many join because it is a good deal compared to many things in boating.

I would like to think having the retired Group Operations officer as one of the local captains helped both sides meet in the middle....
Old 06-21-2022, 07:52 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Things have changed quite a bit.

The working relationship at least where I was was extremely cooperative between assistance towing and the USCG.

I would like to think having the retired Group Operations officer as one of the local captains helped both sides meet in the middle....
Yeah I don't think there was any animosity, we just had to let the guy try to make a living. Same thing with the BoatUS operators that are here now.