Old 08-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Marina del Rey
Vessel Name: Fortunate Sun
Vessel Model: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Protecting the dog

Hi All, I have a 45 lb. dog who is now getting adventurous enough to leave the salon on his own and walk up to join us on the aft deck or flybridge when we are anchored or moored. This is a bit concerning as I have a full beam aft deck that is surrounded by just two stainless rails at 2' and 4' above the deck. He has a PFD but it's uncomfortable for him to lie around in and it's a pita continually putting it on and taking it off.

I really don't want full canvas if I can avoid it (It'll destroy a great view from the salon) but I'm considering netting. I'd appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks!

Lucky

R lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:03 AM   #2

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Northern Sky
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Netting seems well worthwhile and won’t look bad at all. Gotta look out for the dog since he doesn’t likely understand the risks.

guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you

Hi and thank you. It looks like netting is plan A for the moment. He actually does know the risks, but a sudden roll can make the most surefooted among us stumble.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #4
Guru

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Speaking of stumbling . . .

Our dog has been boating with us since a pup, starting ~13 years ago on our family ski boat, always wearing a PFD when on the boat. The dog loves the water and boating. When we got the big boat 5 years ago, the dog was just as confident and comfortable, though the steps were steep and everything outdoors was slippery when wet. That didn't bother the dog for a few years, but at about 10 YO, she started slipping and becoming uncomfortable on the boat. I securely but temporarily carpeted the worst spots that weren't already covered with anti-slip, inside and outside stairs and landings, house entrances and exits, shore/boat interfaces, etc. I left most of the large outside deck areas as they were, finding the anti-skid paint adequate.

Now that she's 13, she slips on everything. This season, I found her pinned to the foredeck with all 4 legs stretched out. I hadn't realized that she'd become that unsteady and regretted letting that happen. She still likes boating and hates not being part of the pack's activities, but her age, infirmities, and lack of confidence moving around the boat have required us to leave her at home or at a kennel for some outings.

My message is that if you want your dog as a boating companion throughout his/her lifetime, go ugly early. Treat the whole boat, inside and out, wherever the dog roams, with the necessary anti-skid, carpet, etc. to keep the dog sure-footed and confident whatever age it might be when on the boat.

I hope you and your canine companion have many happy boating years ahead!

Greg.
GregBrannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #5
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
A dog should be wearing a PFD. If its too uncomfortable, try a different one. Kids (and adults) sometime say they are uncomfortable too. Too bad.
If conditions warrant it, they need to be worn.

Our dog confidently moves around the boat, but still has gone overboard while underway. Without a PFD, it would be very difficult to retrieve her in some conditions.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
We don't normally keep a PFD on our dog (becomes an issue for him in hot weather), but we also don't let him off the upper aft deck without it (ours isn't full width like the GB M/Y). If he's anywhere else on the boat, he's got a PFD on in place of his normal harness.

For the slipping and sliding concern, he's not very careful about slippery surfaces, so he wears sneakers on the boat. He got used to them pretty quickly and loves them now, as he's got all the grip he could want on any surface, so he's very confident when moving around.

Obligatory picture included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200628_114546.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	106033  
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #7

City: Tall Timbers MD
Vessel Name: Devil Dog
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Where did you get the sneakers or are they home made?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
My dog max is pretty good. He has become more adventurous over the last year. Netting is a splendid idea, cost effective and very easy to make.

I got him used to a pdf early on. The engine starts and he will dance around in circles until I put it on him. He even wears it when he is not driving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86B0095A-5BF3-43BE-BF46-F4C23F759C50.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	106034  
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We probably have the only Labrador Retreiver in the world that can't swim. He loves the water and wades in the river deep enough for his shoulders to get wet but won't go beyond that. He loves being wet and his favorite activity in life is going after our sprinklers when they are on. I'm not sure if he likes getting wet or getting a rub down afterwards to dry him off.

Since we're selling the boat I won't have to worry about him going overboard but my big concern is him falling in the pool. He's falling in twice and both times I had to go in and rescue him. He just doesn't get the part where he has to "dog paddle" with his front and back legs at the same time.

Last night we were enjoying a beautiful evening by the pool. He was sitting at the edge of the pool and was close enough that his tail was in the water. He didn't fall in but I was ready in case he did.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #10

City: San Diego
While there's no right or wrong answer, I can't imagine a pet on board without a flotation device 24/7. You are responsible for keeping them safe. They are helpless if they start to fall over board. You'll never say to yourself, they wouldn't be dead (drowning is a horrible way to go) if only I kept a pfd on him/her. Sorry for being graphic but those are hard truths.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 28 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I have a Springer Spaniel who is three. At first I thought she would be okay with just a jacket on. But I read of a dog that jumped off a moving boat. The engine had backfired and scared the dog. The dog was never recovered. I could see my dog doing this so along with the jacket I tie her to a long lead from the dinette post. We usually are underway for 4 hours or so and she sleeps in a dog bed for her under the dinette most of the time.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I have a Springer Spaniel who is three. At first I thought she would be okay with just a jacket on. But I read of a dog that jumped off a moving boat. The engine had backfired and scared the dog. The dog was never recovered. I could see my dog doing this so along with the jacket I tie her to a long lead from the dinette post. We usually are underway for 4 hours or so and she sleeps in a dog bed for her under the dinette most of the time.
We have friends whose dog jumped off the boat underway. Thankfully, he was recovered quickly with no harm done. They think he probably chased a seal.

As a result they bought one of the Weems & Plath CrewWatchers (we have them in our store: https://www.pacificnwboatertested.co...rewwatcher-mob). Now they don't worry as much, since the CrewWatcher will set off the alarm if he again goes overboard. Which, they figure, he will!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CrewWatcherPet.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	106043  
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Netting is the best way. It lets the wind and water pass thru and holds up longer than canvas.
How it's done on a destroyer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Life line netting.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	106044  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Everyone, thank you for the thoughtful comments, I appreciate it and I got the message. My dog is always tethered on the F/B with us when we're underway. It's when we're on a mooring that this has come up. I will definitely enclose the aft deck so that it's secure for him to walk around. I've been looking at this https://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-M...vy-Blue-G01-54 It allows air and water through and seems to have good visibility through as well (check the pics on their site). It'll be secure enough to protect the dog if he falls against it. I'll post pics of the final resolution.

Lucky
Old 08-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #15

Sounds good. A harness vs collar will allow you to get him out of the water. Collars are supposed to slip off so a pet can't hang themselves.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #16
yo
Veteran Member

protecting the puppy

we have been using the same product for years, we attach ours to the fly bridge rail by using brass grommets every 10 " and using 3/16 nylon cording
thru the grommets and around the rail for the top support . The bottom and sides I ran a 3/8 nylon rope secured at the bottom of the up right stanchion.
then using the same 3/16 cord thru the grommet and around the 3/8 rope.
When we cut the plastic we left an extra 2" at the top, bottom and sides folded over to hold the grommets like a hem. Hope this helps.
yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Netting is the best way. It lets the wind and water pass thru and holds up longer than canvas.
How it's done on a destroyer.
Lepke, I maybe one of the few here to understand how old that fo'c'sl on that straight-stick DD is and how much you are showing your age.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Bright Way
Vessel Model: 2003 Mariner Orient 34'
gotta love and watch over those little family members, particularly the older, less nimble ones. Just so sweet and innocent - all they want to do is be part of the pack.
Jmreim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #19
DrQ

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Deep Blu
Vessel Model: 1990 46' BestWay Sundeck Trawler
Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a dog to relieve themself on the deck when underway?
DrQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #20

Yes. choose a soft artificial grass mat. At home, place it on their favorite pee spot. Once you get the to relieve themselves on the turf, you can move it to the boat. Lots of positive reinforcement including treats if that works. Cheers.