The Pro's and Con's of Hitch Hiking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raingage

Hello Everyone,
I joined this forum very late last night as I was reading many post regarding the thought prosses involved when making a decision on a good liveaboard trawler.
First, just a little background: My girlfriend, my buddy Chief (Australian Shepard) and I live in Mexico at the moment. My girlfriend and I retired early and where on a mission to find the best beach in Mexico to live on. Over the last two years we decided that during the winter they were all great but during the summer they were just too hot and the tropical storm situation wasn't something we wanted to deal with. We came up with the idea to buy a sailboat and follow the weather on the pacific coast. I have sailed most of my life so that was the obvious first choice:). After spending a ton of time talking to the sailors in the Sea of Cortez, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta, I learned that the trip north on a sailboat was less than enjoyable. They all refer to the north passage as the Baha Bash :banghead:. The only time of year that the wind will be in your sails going north is November, exactly when you want to go south? Many sailors just stay in The Sea of Cortez, as it's a hurricane hole supposedly but it's one way in and one way out? Anyway, you would end up waiting for a weather window and still probably motoring most of the way if not the whole way.
My girlfriend suggested I look into some Trawlers, as she has lived on a couple large power boats (72' & 54'). I've always had power boats also but mostly 25' or less. Many of my friends and relatives have had large power boats and I've spent some time on them but most of my life I have put my head down on a sailboat. After many late night discussions over many rum drinks we came to the conclusion. What was the most important points to consider and they are as follows:
1 Safety
2 Effort
3 Cost
The first one is very easy, there are many things to get caught in on a sailboat. Except when you are going overboard and there is nothing. Now while were still fairly young this isn't so bad but as we get older this could be a bigger issue. Trawler Wins. My buddy Chief was all in on this one, as he mentioned to us, there ain't nothin to stop me for going overboard except three strand of fishin line :confused:
The second one was pretty easy also, there is a considerable amount of work while your underway on a sailboat and as we all know that's after you worked twenty days getting ready for the passage work to begin.
The third one is a bit of a toss up for me, lots of people have given me lots to think about on this subject but I'm not convinced. I don't want my fuel cost to cut in to my rum drinks or anything like that. I'm not sure that there might be a lot more things to break on a trawler. I have talked to several broker buddies of mine and insurance should be apples to apples, if value is similar.
I've probably board you enough at this point but before I get off of here there is one more thing. I have a budget of no more than $200K, I'm looking at something between 35' & 40' and I'm not so sure about the age. I have been on some beautiful older power boats and then I have been on some...
I understand how sailboats age but not as sure when it comes to power boats. Lastly, I'm looking for something that is pet friendly, mono hulls will tolerate a pet but they certainly aren't friendly.
I hope I haven't overstayed my welcome already. I truly appreciate you guy's helping me out and any input, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Advance
RRR

Quick question that will help you get better answers: Is your $200k budget just for purchase cost, or for boat, repairs, upgrades, insurance, dockage, repair reserve and operating costs ?

>>I have sailed most of my life so that was the obvious first choice:). After spending a ton of time talking to the sailors in the Sea of Cortez, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta, I learned that the trip north on a sailboat was less than enjoyable. They all refer to the north passage as the Baha Bash :banghead:. The only time of year that the wind will be in your sails going north is November, exactly when you want to go south? <<

Sounds as if you are settled in Mexico, but the above seems to say you would travel by boat to the Estados Unidos. Is that true?

If you really are thinking of an annual northbound passage, your sailor friends are right; it is will be a lot of "bashing", but still, in any offshore passage in any but the mildest weather, a properly found sailboat will be much safer and more comfortable.

I speak as a lifelong sailor who has crossed to the "dark side" and owned a 43' trawler for four years now. I vacation in Puerto Vallarta every year for the last decade, but my boat stays in Tacoma.

Ten cuidado, amigo.
Memo de Jalisco ;)

Last edited:
Welcome, but if you don't want a "fuel" expense to cut into your rum drinks, get rid of costs associated with running and standing rigging and SAILS.

We want to live on the boat, we can go south or north but we are kinda liking the idea of cool summers and tropical winters...

Welcome, but if you don't want a "fuel" expense to cut into your rum drinks, get rid of costs associated with running and standing rigging and SAILS.

That's my question, most sailors motor a lot of the time. We all have fuel expenses. We will travel slow and on a mooring ball or on the hook at least half the time. We will pick a point south and a point north and plan a six month passage with a stop at some marinas along the way. We would do this with motor or sail. The trawler style power boats are intriguing to me because I can get a single screw and keep my fuel cost down but I'm just concerned about the extra regular upkeep and fuel cost. I'm just starting my search and that's why i wanted to get some advise from some people that have experience. I agree that sailboats have tons of expenses associated with them. Safety and ease of use is also a big deal at this point. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If some one had suggested this to me a few years ago I would have turned the idea down without any further consideration. But up in the PNW, coastal BC and SE Alaska, trailerable pocket tug boats are becoming more popular.

You can drive from Mexico to Seattle and areas in a few days, or you could further north, even up to Alaska. The truck trailer covers the majority of the ground and your boating takes you into the most interesting and spectacular locations on the Pacific Coast. Heck after you are done the Pacific Coast you could head on over to the Atlantic Coast.

The negative is that you will be looking at something around 30 + feet. I will link you to a new Ranger Tug, it will give you an idea of the room and trailerability of these boats.

https://www.yachtworld.com/research/ranger-tugs-r-31-more-pocket-trawler-for-your-trailer/

If some one had suggested this to me a few years ago I would have turned the idea down without any further consideration. But up in the PNW, coastal BC and SE Alaska, trailerable pocket tug boats are becoming more popular.

You can drive from Mexico to Seattle and areas in a few days, or you could further north, even up to Alaska. The truck trailer covers the majority of the ground and your boating takes you into the most interesting and spectacular locations on the Pacific Coast. Heck after you are done the Pacific Coast you could head on over to the Atlantic Coast.

The negative is that you will be looking at something around 30 + feet. I will link you to a new Ranger Tug, it will give you an idea of the room and trailerability of these boats.

https://www.yachtworld.com/research/ranger-tugs-r-31-more-pocket-trawler-for-your-trailer/

I have quickly looked over these but didn't give it much thought. I think smaller is better. Sail or Power, I'm a minimalist. We can take everything we own in a VW SUV including Chief our dog. I will take a look and thank you for suggesting something that I didn't even consider.

Wifey B: Simple solutions. Cut back on the rum drinks. :rofl:

And why the heck the title about hitch hiking? :confused:

Ah. Well, I think I got the reference, though it’s a rather uncelebrated work. Midlife crises, west coast travels, and then...clarity :flowers:

Ah. Well, I think I got the reference, though it’s a rather uncelebrated work. Midlife crises, west coast travels, and then...clarity :flowers:

Wifey B: Sounds to me like risky ride with stranger, running for your life in the desert, ending up in hospital with no memory of who you are, finally starting over in a small town in Nebraska. :ermm:

As it happens, a fellow Willard owner is about to list his W40 pilothouse for sale. It's located in San Carlos, northern section of Sea of Cortez near Guaymus. Asking price is $165k. She has paravane stabilizers and is likely in excellent condition, ready to go.

W40's are fiberglass and carry 600g of diesel. I believe this one has a Perkins 6.354 and burns around 2 gph at 7-1/4 kts.

I have no direct affiliation, but happy to connect you with the owner if you PM me.

Peter
lilliana Willard 40.jpg

Lastly, I'm looking for something that is pet friendly, mono hulls will tolerate a pet but they certainly aren't friendly.

Getting the critter on and off the boat is easiest to solve during your shopping phases. Swim platforms, transom doors, side doors, etc.

Once onboard, it depends, also best solved while shopping. Ladders to a flybridge, for example, don't work all that well for most dogs. Steep companionway stairs, ditto. OTOH, stairs to a bridge exist, etc.

Doesn't hurt to start planning emergency recoveries. Harness with a good handle and really good underbelly/chest support... lifting gear if necessary. And/or a decent floating ramp... (Imagine our 90-lb (dry) Golden Receiver, soaking wet, with nothing much to grab on to... We solved it, but it was a backbreaker. Luckily it wasn't our 120-lb Pretty Good Pyrenees instead.)

-Chris

Fuel may be a minor expense today , but it is one you can not control.

AS the USA moves away from hydrocarbons the current goal of $10.00 per gallon might be exceeded.

If you choose sail, when replacing the main sail choose a full battened sail as it allows inland motoring with the sail up , since it does not flog if motoring into the wind.

Last edited:
As it happens, a fellow Willard owner is about to list his W40 pilothouse for sale. It's located in San Carlos, northern section of Sea of Cortez near Guaymus. Asking price is $165k. She has paravane stabilizers and is likely in excellent condition, ready to go.

W40's are fiberglass and carry 600g of diesel. I believe this one has a Perkins 6.354 and burns around 2 gph at 7-1/4 kts.

I have no direct affiliation, but happy to connect you with the owner if you PM me.

Peter
View attachment 116522

Thank you so much, I checked out the boat and its really nice. I have my feelers out on a few that are a bit newer to start but this one will be on my short list. I appreciate you giving me a heads up one it...

Getting the critter on and off the boat is easiest to solve during your shopping phases. Swim platforms, transom doors, side doors, etc.

Once onboard, it depends, also best solved while shopping. Ladders to a flybridge, for example, don't work all that well for most dogs. Steep companionway stairs, ditto. OTOH, stairs to a bridge exist, etc.

Doesn't hurt to start planning emergency recoveries. Harness with a good handle and really good underbelly/chest support... lifting gear if necessary. And/or a decent floating ramp... (Imagine our 90-lb (dry) Golden Receiver, soaking wet, with nothing much to grab on to... We solved it, but it was a backbreaker. Luckily it wasn't our 120-lb Pretty Good Pyrenees instead.)

-Chris

Well Chief has been on a few Sailboats but I'm always so nervous when he goes off by himself. I spoke with a friend of mine who has a trawler in Washington and she said that she bought a Monk 36 because every level was just a few steps and her little buddy had no issue getting up to the flying bridge. I've been looking at a lot of boats and there are some that I really like but they are really not great for Chief or some of my older friends. I will certainly do some training for both of us. I really appreciate you comments.

Thanks a Million

Fuel may be a minor expense today , but it is one you can not control.

AS the USA moves away from hydrocarbons the current goal of $10.00 per gallon might be exceeded.

If you choose sail, when replacing the main sail choose a full battened sail as it allows inland motoring with the sail up , since it does not flog if motoring into the wind.

I'm with you on this one, I'm still looking at sailboats but I have seen several trawler style boats that have impressed me. All sailors motorsail some more than others but the wind is rarely enough for most of us. I appreciate your input and I will keep this in mind.

Cheers

Wifey B: Sounds to me like risky ride with stranger, running for your life in the desert, ending up in hospital with no memory of who you are, finally starting over in a small town in Nebraska. :ermm:

I see that you’re a Lee Childs fan too. I ask myself “I wonder what would happen if Jack Reacher met Serge Storms in say-downtown Jacksonville?”

I see that you’re a Lee Childs fan too. I ask myself “I wonder what would happen if Jack Reacher met Serge Storms in say-downtown Jacksonville?”

Wifey B: Knowledge doesn't make me a fan of Jame Dover Grant. :rolleyes:

Lol. I was focused on the musical reference. Some who wander ARE lost.

Well, I have to say that if you think you will be motoring for the majority of the time anyway, buy a Trawler. For a couple of reasons. One, you won't need to strap jerry cans to your lifelines for a backup fuel reserve! More than likely your trawler will have large fuel tanks. My Kadey Krogen 39 could travel all the way up the Sea of Cortez and back more than once on one tank of diesel. This means independance. A reason why we go boating in the first place. Every sailboat I have seen in the gulf had multiple jerry cans strapped to the lifelines. Second, a trawler is meant to be a power boat. Meaning the engine is usually bigger, better, easier to access and maintain, easier to troubleshoot, able to handle a larger alternator, have more room for upgrades, have a fuel polishing system to help with questionable fuel qualities. The list goes on. I am not saying that some sailboats can't have these things, but many do not. I was a sailor, but in my older age, I want to be able to crawl around my engine and maintain its systems without being a contortionist! Some higher speed trawlers with planning and semi displacement hulls can burn lots of fuel, but a good, full displacement hull at sailboat speeds, will be economical to use. Plus you can go upwind!!! I could go on and on, but these are a few reasons for a trawler... Oh, did I mention room??

We chose power vs sail for ease of travel, and my mate has never sailed.
We finally decided on a cruiser capable of planing speeds, but when we travel we rarely exceed 10 knots. The reason is the enjoyment of the cruise. Why go 20 knots and miss all the sites. BUT, when needed, it's there. I consider our vessel a "fast trawler".

Our initial cost was just under $200K for a 2005 with 700 hours on the engines, 2 staterooms, 2 heads, and a large saloon and setee and decent cockpit. Sedan bridge with no lower bridge rules out traveling in bad weather (unless caught out when something comes up), but that's not an issue. I like being above the crowd when at the helm anyway.

Point is, it's doable with a relatively young boat that's been cared for.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom