Propulsion Cost: Sail vs. Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be interesting to know how much does it cost to make the electric and the batteries

Wifey B: We were amazed how many rivers and canals were accessible by larger boats in Europe. I'd recommend starting with all those and not initially worrying about the canals you can't travel. Then rent a boat already on those canals if you still want to travel them. I would like one day to do some of them but it's slow and tedious travel and not something I'd want to spend an entire season on when there is so much more to see and experience. Meanwhile, so many places you can go and see in a larger boat. :)

The LRC we are looking at will take us around the world, access many of the canals in Europe, yet because of its low draft, and ability to dry out, opens up even more places. However, there are some canals we really wish we could take the LRC but the locks are too small in some cases, or more often, it is the air draft that is the restriction.

I bought the "books" for traveling the European canals and there are soooo many places to go, even if restricted by boat size. Having the ability to access at least some of the canals really gives one options.

Later,
Dan

Hello Dan,

interesting that you are looking into an LRC. We are doing the same!

Brief history: We have been looking at an FPB64 for a very long time. As you know, the ships are no longer built and to that extent it is not possible to realize our own wishes and ideas based on an FPB. The ships are perfect for long passages, very safe, very economical, very easy to maintain simply perfect for the long range. But living on board is not as considered as we would like. Stairs up, stairs down, small and difficult to use aft deck, little daylight in cabins, no sightlines from cabins, style of silhouette, height vs inland waters, these are points we envision differently.

There are realistic alternatives Arksen and Circa. These ships are certainly good, but also have their price.

For us personally, a large volume, big living space, wide hull is out of the question. We want maximum economy, because we want to go electric, or at least "very hybrid" and harvest the energy from the sun. The development technology will still take some time, but we also have some time.

That is why we have been working intensively on the LRC65. The ship offers all the possibilities we want and we have created an interior design, and formulated our basic thoughts about it. Take a look:

https://www.artnautica.eu/project-vega

Looks great. Is there a second head to use when motoring to windward?
I like the clean European look but do wonder about the square corners on the cabinets while underway.

Can you offer more about the drive train/batteries/solar you will use?

I’m in love with Dennis’s designs. There’s clear evidence he is a cruiser and understands what it means to actually live on and use a boat. I understand he used input from 58 owners when drawing the 65. Personally be quite happy with the twin version of the 58. Checks all my buttons.
Some forget Kasten drew multiple very efficient small Al John Deere powered light, thin boats. Primarily in the 50-60’ range. They’re beautiful harking back to a more traditional aesthetic but could be hybrid or converted to Beta twins if simplicity was desired. Those designs have easy areas for enough solar to be zero footprint at rest.

Last edited:
It is a dream day when a sail boat cruises at full displacement speed yet I can do it at any time.

The sailboat helmsman is outside rain or shine while I am sitting in a comfortable helm seat inside

Parking a similar size trawler style boat next to a sail boat of equal length will reveal that the sail boat is less than half the interior volume. As a liveaboard I can attest that volume is everything.

Nope, don't even need to consider the costs. Some things are priceless

Hey, Mr. Sanders!! You made it from the chilly climes of AK to the Baja? Sweet!

As you likely know, the Trophy 2459 Offshore has new owners and the younger couple are loving it! We have been in refit since July of 2019. We would have shoved off earlier, but then COVID closed all the places we were planning to head. But in the meantime, we have added lots, particularly electrical. But we can chat about that later. I'm anxious to hear where you are now. PM me if you like.

We are currently waiting on new pieces, and will be heading your way end of September.

Are you hold up someplace south?

Kevin D Holden ....aka Cpt Crunchie

Back
Top Bottom