Old 06-29-2020, 12:52 AM   #1

City: SEATTLE
proper courtesy on this forum

For proper courtesy here.. Should I just put my name on a post with the type of boat I own, then let my questions rip? Then pray you all return to my thread for every "new" question I ask, (or to laugh at me)? There's going to be a boatload of questions and ill try to search for answers prior to asking.

Or start a separate thread everytime I have a new question like this one below?

I don't like the name of my boat. It's a stencil.

1. When I take off the old names decals, will there be sun marks or stains on the fiberglass? Will the old name be burned onto my boat like the image of batman was on my old plasma TV, (one that will never come off)? Where I see the old name no matter how hard I clean, (it's probably been there since 1897). When I take off the old name, will it peal part of my boat off with it?

2. Does the name of the boat have to remain on it for life? Does the coast guard or licensing agency go by your boats name? I see sale ads for boat's that mention the name of the boat like its permanent?

3. Do you have a painted name or decal one? If painted, any recommendations on any boat name stencil artists in the PNW? Does the paint need to be updated every few years or rarely since it's above the waterline. Does it fade?

4. Do you ever pee overboard, (or shold I start a new thread for just for this question

Thanks again, Brian
Ducatihottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post
For proper courtesy here.. Should I just put my name on a post with the type of boat I own, then let my questions rip? Then pray you all return to my thread for every "new" question I ask, (or to laugh at me)? There's going to be a boatload of questions and ill try to search for answers prior to asking.

Or start a separate thread everytime I have a new question like this one below?

I don't like the name of my boat. It's a stencil.

1. When I take off the old names decals, will there be sun marks or stains on the fiberglass? Will the old name be burned onto my boat like the image of batman was on my old plasma TV, (one that will never come off)? Where I see the old name no matter how hard I clean, (it's probably been there since 1897). When I take off the old name, will it peal part of my boat off with it?

2. Does the name of the boat have to remain on it for life? Does the coast guard or licensing agency go by your boats name? I see sale ads for boat's that mention the name of the boat like its permanent?

3. Do you have a painted name or decal one? If painted, any recommendations on any boat name stencil artists in the PNW? Does the paint need to be updated every few years or rarely since it's above the waterline. Does it fade?

4. Do you ever pee overboard, (or shold I start a new thread for just for this question

Thanks again, Brian

Usually it is best to start a new thread with each topic and a new header name.

No, you can change a boats name. Some say you have to do a proper name change ceremony. I have changed names on boats many times without the ceremony since we are on our 23rd boat now. If the boat is documented you have to go through the CG to change the documentation and that is the time to also change the name and hailing port. You will also have to probably register the boat with the state. If not documented then just register it with the state.

The name may be painted on or a vinyl decal. On a previous boat the name had a metal flake vinyl on it for 25 years that burned the gel coat very deeply, couldn’t sand out the brown so I had to paint the transom. I get my vinyl boat names from Boat/US but sigh shops can make them also. Yes paint can fade, with quality vinyl I have not had that problem but we change boats frequently. We will see if this current boat is our last one...

I don’t try to pee overboard since it is easy to fall overboard or drip on the boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:36 AM   #3

City: SEATTLE
23 boats? New names or you stick with your favorite all the time. Or just keep the name that was on it? At the moment my boats name is, "DREAM TOO". I don't like it.

I want to name my boat "POPCORN" after my best friend my dog. Worried though as he's getting old. When he passes, I might be sad, (or smile) everytime I look at my boat.

Boohoo, hoo.

BTW, I've owned 20 bikes, do you know anyone that's owned more boats than you?
Ducatihottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
No, we have different names for each boat. For a while we worked the boat number into the name but that started getting too difficult so we stopped doing that. My favorite boat name was After Midnight. It was our 12th boat and we are Clapton fans and I am a night owl as you can see by the current Eastern Time 3:39AM...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:08 AM   #5
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Thread naming courtesy

Since you asked . . . (IMHO):
  • Start a new thread for each topic. Searching this forum - or any - is not the easiest, but having threads/topics with names that match the question and answers or discussion makes the search results more useful.
  • Give the thread a relevant name. For example, you named this thread 'proper courtesy . . .' and then mostly asked about boat naming. That's 2 threads or one misnamed thread that drifted off topic with the first post.
Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post
23 boats? New names or you stick with your favorite all the time. Or just keep the name that was on it? At the moment my boats name is, "DREAM TOO". I don't like it.

I want to name my boat "POPCORN" after my best friend my dog. Worried though as he's getting old. When he passes, I might be sad, (or smile) everytime I look at my boat.

Boohoo, hoo.

BTW, I've owned 20 bikes, do you know anyone that's owned more boats than you?
GFC, you're only allowed one membership!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Here is a easy way to remove decals.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-07498-Stri...ents=p_89%3A3M

After you are done use some of this with a buffer.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirr...s%2C394&sr=8-8

If it still isn't clean you may need to wet sand the transom than use the compound again to remove the sanding marks. I assume the boat is fiberglass?

Many places on line to order new vinyl name, or most local sign shops can make it. Watch some videos on YouTube on how to install it.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Putting the year, make and model in either your profile or your signature is helpful. Otherwise, if it is relevevnt to the year, make and model of the boat, then include it in the initial post. Typically the initial post should include enough of the scope of the problem and the environment to allow people to provide useful feedback.

If your question begets significantly more questions, then the scope was probably not adequately detailed.

No, people should not have to scour the site for previous posts to get details.

Yes, you should open a new thread for new, unrelated questions, problems or comments. Starting a thread on navigation, then later introducing scope creep by asking about air conditioning makes things crazy. We don't have one thread per person. Even one thread for an entire project boat that goes from paint, to engine, to electrical is confusing. It might be one project to you, but it's many unrelated discussions.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
More drowned male bodies are found with the fly down than without.
You pays your money and you takes your chances.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Some transoms will discolor either around or under a painted or stenciled name. I repainted the transom of my boat to cover the "shadow" name. Use Interlux Brightside. Clean it well prior to paint, I used a pressure washer, then T.S.P. then vinegar. Came out great.

Change the name through your documentation next time you renew.

Start a new thread with each question, that way it can be searched by yourself and others.

On your final question, Urinating overboard. Birds do it, fish do it little and big animals do it. Strictly following the letter of the law, it is legal. Even in no discharge zones. The waste must go directly from your body into the water. If it makes an intermediate stop in a can, a toilet, the sink or any other container you are in violation.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #11
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
If you put your boat model and length in your description to the left, under your user name, we'll know what boat you're talking about even if we pop into a conversation 3 pages in.

I do an 'advanced search' before starting thread, just to see if anyone has started one in the past that may already provide the answer to a question, and add to that already existing thread if it applies rather than start a whole new thread.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
May I suggest learning and using the correct terms for things? As opposed to using house terms like “roof”..
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ducatihottie wrote;
“BTW, I've owned 20 bikes, do you know anyone that's owned more boats than you?“

I was once “manyboats” on this forum but many cars and many bikes may be more appropriate as I’ve had many more of each of them. But let’s keep it to boats .. or specifically rec-trawlers. It was stupid naming rec-trawlers trawlers as there already was a word for rec-trawlers (heavy cruisers) and most people knew what a trawler was before people mucked it up .. same word different subject or object. And since most everybody knew what a cruiser was heavy cruiser was obvious.

But a boat is clearly a recreational toy so name it whatever you want. But unless it expresses something significant and valid about your boat it’s not a good name.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
I just sold my trailerable sailboat after owning her for 10 years.

I used vinyl lettering that I had ordered online. My wife also cut some images from vinyl on one of her crafting machines.

When I sold my boat, I removed all the vinyl lettering, images, and old boating permits (left the registration numbers on the boat). Reason for this is that one should almost always remove things that personalize a boat as potential buyer's want to visualize 'their' boat and not 'your' boat.

Both the lettering and images were in great condition when I removed them. I used a crafting heat gun to relax the adhesive on the lettering and the permits. Once they were off, I used "goo gone" to remove any remaining residue.

Without a doubt there will be light sun marks where the old decal was as the sun shines on the rest of the hull except where the decals are. When I cleaned my boat to get her ready to sell, I could very faintly see the decal on the stern for the previous owner, more than 10 years ago.

LOL, don't ask any questions about 'going' overboard! Head questions are okay and will get great answers, pee questions (although they elicit fun to read responses) will likely get deleted!

Jim

p.s. Back to the original question, I wouldn't make a thread for every question, but for every topic. Asking multiple related questions in one thread allows others to post more detailed responses.
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Since you live in Seattle, I recommend Prism Graphics. They will help you design something that fits your boat and they can install it for you as well.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #16
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
For removing vinyl lettering I like to use a 3M Stripe Off Wheel. There are other brands also, just google vinyl eraser. Here is a video of one in action.
https://youtu.be/pHpmFnqDX5w
Old 06-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
3) Many online vinyl decal vendors with good design tools.

4) Wear an inflatable vest with a tether; On a calm day jump off the side attached to the tether and attempt to reboard. That should answer your question.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My last boat was from SoCal. It had vinyl lettering that wasn't too hard to remove. However the ghosting of the letters never completely disappeared even after several compounding and polishing. Not really all that noticeable once the new lettering was on it unless you knew where to look.

My current boat was from the PNW. Again vinyl letters were removed and still in the right light you can make out the ghosting.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Since you live in Seattle, I recommend Prism Graphics. They will help you design something that fits your boat and they can install it for you as well.
I have seen these folks at the boat show. Seems good.

Welcome Brian. Just so you know we like pictures and political correctness will not be tolerated, well kind of...LOL
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #20
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Peeing off the boat is probably illegal in most inshore areas, however it’s very commonLy done.
In a stern corner of my boat there’s a funnel attached to a piece of tubing that is run out of the scupper, so one can stand at the rail and discharge discretely.
My wife says that guys with adequate equipment shouldn’t need that!
Changing the boats name must be done carefully to avoid problems with the hoodoo.
Proper name change involves chicken blood, spiderwebs and lots of tequila!