Old 04-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #61
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
The conv/MW oven and induction cooktop we’re using are both 120.
Work well on a 30amp boat?
What is the brand of both, please?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #62
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsurfer View Post
Microwaves destroy a food's nutritional value.
If you have any doubts, get two small potted plants of the same variety and make sure one of the plants is only watered with tap water. Water the other plant with water that has been microwaved to the boiling point then let it cool down to room temp before you water the plant.
You will be shocked at the results of how each plant develops.
This is flat-out nonsense. The plant watering scenario is nothing like heating food. No doubt if you boiled the water using any other form of heat it'd also be a problem. Because it's the boiling off of minerals that's causing problems for the plants, not the method used to do it. Distillation is the problem, not the heating method.

Microwaves work by causing the water in the food to vibrate and that causes heat, nothing more. There's no way you're microwaving it long enough to somehow magically destroy "nutritional value". By the time that could happen you'd either have a fire or it'd be tougher than shoe leather.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #63
Guru

Mmmm, nothing better than 1/2 cooked bacon, hot from the microwave. YUMMY
Old 04-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #64
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I can’t imagine anybody that would prefer a microwave to a real stove.

Her's Chris w her new stove. She loves it. Bakes in the oven ect ect. I thought it was going to be for her like me getting a new set of tires for a car. But she was like a little kid on Christmas day. I should'a got it right away.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71563 copy 5.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

Her's Chris w her new stove. She loves it. Bakes in the oven ect ect. I thought it was going to be for her like me getting a new set of tires for a car. But she was like a little kid on Christmas day. I should'a got it right away.
It's really very simple it is all about time
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #66

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Thataway
Vessel Model: C Dory 25, pilot house trailerable cruiser
On my long distance cruising boats the have had propane stove with oven, plus a microwave. Wife likes to bake. We also had large freezers and for ocean crossings, we often heated the food with the microwave--especially in rough weather.

Currently we have a small pilot house boat-don't live aboard more than a month at a time, and we are cooking with one or two induction burners, and a microwave. We have about 200 amps 12 volts available from Li ion batteries, and use a 2000 watt PSW inverter. This works very well. The counter top available is only about 26" X 18". You can also get microwaves with convection overs in the same size and wattage.

Consider an induction burner to compliment the microwave.
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #67
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
I can’t imagine anybody that would prefer a microwave to a real stove....
Depends on how motivated by food you are. Personally, given something quick from the microwave vs. cooking on a stove or in an oven, I'll take the microwave any day.

Or maybe I'll just make PB&J. Doesn't really matter to me (whether I'm on the boat or not).
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #68
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Work well on a 30amp boat?
What is the brand of both, please?
I guess that would depend on what else is running concurrently. Ours is 50-amp service so I’d be guessing about 30. The conv/MW is a GE PSB9100 and needs a 15 or 20-amp breaker on our boat. The cooktop is a True Induction T12B and needs a 15-amp breaker.

We’re hoping to be able to run the MW and cooktop off the inverter for quick dishes.
Attached Thumbnails
1327FAE8-86FA-44B6-9E0C-066138218277.jpg   46FF9EF8-D347-4A63-9E72-8D432B486D95.jpeg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:

She's smiling because it is your turn to wash the dishes.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #70
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I'm not going to bash microwaves, since I was a radar tech in the AF. But I have propane on the boat.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #71
Guru

Microwave..... 1/2 cooked bacon and reheating coffee.
Ah boil water for bullet wounds and child delivery
Old 04-24-2019, 03:43 AM   #72
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Quote:
Having owned both boats and restaurants, my first shortcoming on propane is the lack of making the same BTU's as nat gas. However, I would choose propane over a microwave any day of the week!!!!
If you have any doubts, get two small potted plants of the same variety and make sure one of the plants is only watered with tap water. Water the other plant with water that has been microwaved to the boiling point then let it cool down to room temp before you water the plant.
In your test, did you boil water in a pot and use that to water a plant? That would be the better comparison.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:49 AM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Having owned both boats and restaurants, my first shortcoming on propane is the lack of making the same BTU's as nat gas. However, I would choose propane over a microwave any day of the week!!!!
The fact is, propane contains more BTUs than natural gas. The following was taken from the FAQs section on the WebRestaurantStore website.

"Because propane has a higher BTU rating than natural gas, propane tends to heat faster and use less fuel when compared to the same task performed with natural gas. However, most observable cooking differences between propane and natural gas depend on the equipment you are using. Your equipment’s BTU output limits your*heat while cooking, so be sure to know your appliance’s specifications if you are looking for a specific BTU rating to prepare dishes."

It's the BTU output of the burner that is determinative.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:03 AM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I have an electric stove that I've probably used 3 times. I'm a griller with the grill on the upper deck. It's either getting grilled or going in the crock pot. Couldn't cruise without my microwave. Heating frozen vegetables, heating soup, and making pasta are my most common uses for it.

You could always use the oven as a storage cabinet.

Ted
We have a large battery bank, 920 Ah. Yesterday, after a 16-hour anchorage we had used 400 Ah. That included three 12-volt fidgerators, a 110 VAC five cubic foot freezer, a TV receiver, a satellite tracking dish, and making coffee in the morning with a 1:30 microwave heatup. For cooking we generally use a one-burner portable butane unit. The butane cannisters last a surprising long time. We also use the gas grill extensively.

We rarely use the generator. A six-hour run restores our bank to 100%. A four-hour run gets us to about 95%.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #75

City: Rancho Bernardo
Vessel Name: Pearl Grace
Vessel Model: Marine Trader/Sun Deck 44
love propane to cook

I did the opposite, I got rid of a huge space hogging microwave and use only the oven/stove top for everything. The other bonus is it makes the boat smell good and provides a little heat in the winter.

If you bring your cooked food to the boat every-time you go there and simply use the microwave to heat your food then great it's perfect for you.

If you prefer to prepare your meals on the boat and bring the raw ingredients to the boat and store them on the boat ( like me) then a microwave does little but take up space and warm left overs, which I never have.

A debate of which cooks better would be silly.
Derik is offline   Reply With Quote