Old 09-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #1

City: West falmouth
Anyone know this boat.

I am giving this one serious consideration. The wife already gave it the go ahead so that's one major hurdle. How is the quality of the mainships? All opinions and advice welcome.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/Mainship-390-2721803/Hobe-Sound/FL/United-States#.VgBVKKTluM8
Jjackpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
They are decent quality. I don't know the market for this boat but it seems significantly under-priced.

Keith
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
They are decent quality. I don't know the market for this boat but it seems significantly under-priced.

Keith

Yeah, I have a call into the broker to see what I can flush out.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
We have a much older mainship and are relatively happy with it. The styling suggests a more trawler-esquema hull than what you will find. You should check into the Mainship sub-forum on here as well as the yahoo email group for more info
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

OK, Ill check those out. What is esquima?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjackpepper View Post
OK, Ill check those out. What is esquima?

I understand what trawler-esque would be, the esquema is new for me.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Twin Volvos bear some scrutiny. The later 390s commonly had single Cats which would bear some comparison. In any case on an older vessel you are purchasing the previous owner's maintenance skills and budget, or lack thereof.

Shop carefully and take your time, there are many of these types out there with some well loved ones lurking.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjackpepper View Post
I just read the listing and if a survey comes anywhere close to what the photos show, I'd definitely pull the trigger on this boat!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #9

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
The 350/390 with twins could be ordered with Volvos or Yanmars. My 98 has twin Yanmars. I would check the decks very closely for moisture. It appears to be leaking into the ceiling from the looks of the headliner. Commonly, the starboard bridge bench storage drainage tube leaks into the ceiling cavity.
Again, at that price (which should be north of $100k) I would have the upper deck checked very closely for water intrusion.

Good luck.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #10

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
One other thing I noticed is the salon floor is not original.

Here is one a couple of years newer : 2002 Mainship 390 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Shop carefully and take your time, there are many of these types out there with some well loved ones lurking.
What Sunchaser says is true but sometimes the first boat you looked at is the one! When we went looking for an Ocean Alexander 3.5 years ago, we saw one in Newport Beach, CA. We liked the boat but passed on it due to the asking price. We continued our search for the same model (country wide) for another 3 years with no good results. Our broker (and very good friend) called to say that the Newport Beach boat had been sold and moved to San Diego. (Our home) We immediately contacted the owner's broker who indicated that the owner had some new health problems and was going to put the boat back on the market. We negotiated an acceptable offer to both parties and "Sandpiper" is now ours!

When you love a boat & it surveys well and the price is right, pull the trigger! Life is too short!

"Sandpiper"

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1078-1.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
There is a lot of discussion on this site about these boats and their older sister the 350. I encourage you to search around the forum. Also the notoriously picky former surveyor David Pascoe did a review of the 350 on one of his web sites.

I chartered this model a few times, one with a single Caterpillar / bow thruster, and one with twin Yanmars. If I was going to buy one, I'd personally go with the single as that engine room was awfully cramped with twins. I felt they were good honest boats, having run all the different flavors of 2000'ish Mainships (30 and 34 Pilots, 430 "trawler").

It seems like Mainship used every engine manufacturer known to man at the time, I ran a couple of others with Cummins as well. Volvos in a Mainship is a new one to me.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #13

Thanks for all the feedback. If water is coming in through the upper deck is that a deal breaker or something I would be able to remedy myself. I know it all depends but generally speaking, how big of a deal would that be. It does seem like a flag to not list any information on engine hours or maintenance, If they took care of things you would think that would be something that they would tout more. Maybe that is why its for shorter money. Haven't spoken with the broker yet.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

Well I just contacted the broker and he said the boat was currently under contract so I guess that puts an end to this discussion, unless his deal falls through. I appreciate all the feedback and will be back with the next contender for advice. This is a great community with a lot of collective knowledge. Thanks everyone.