Prop repair/rebuild on east coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KalaKai

Veteran Member
I'm currently in Boston headed south. I mangled one of my 27" nibral props in Maine and am using a spare. I'm looking for a prop repair shop on the east coast that reasonably priced and does good work. I had one shop in Maine look at it and tell me he didn't want to do the work as it was too extensive. I've have worse props than this repaired, so think it can be done, I just need the right guy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I've heard good things about Scandia, when we based ourselves in that area one summer, but no direct experience.

Further south we did have a very good experience with Millers Island down in the Baltimore area. Miller's Island Propeller

Cape May has a couple...usually pick up at any of the marinas.

The oldest prop shop in New England is H&H in Salem, MA . There are lots of smaller shops on the coast who can tackle simple jobs but many will ship them out the back door to H&H. A good wheel is expensive and so critical to performance that it’s not worth taking any chances. I dealt with H&H for many years from Maine to CT with no problems. The caveat is that I’ve been out of the business for about nine years so inquire and validate my recommendation.

I've had work done at Hale and they do excellent work and you pay for that.
I have also heard excellent things about H&H but haven't dealt with them personally.
Most marinas will get them picked up and delivered and they usually have enough clout to get them done asap.

I had a good experience with Ocean Props, Middletown, RI.

If you have twin engines, it is good for the shop to have both props so when one is repaired the can be tuned together.

If you make it to Norfolk, I've been dealing with Murphy's Propeller forever. Outboards, sailboat propeller, shafting, and last year I had my Bayliners Nibral props tweaked down in pitch there.

H&H is the "named brand" but New England Propeller in Plymouth is also capable. You may run into the same issue though. At some point they would rather sell you a new prop rather than repair one that is borderline.

all set...THANKS for all of the replies !

H & H is coming to pick up the damaged prop tomorrow in Boston.

thanks SO MUCH to everyone who offered suggestions...all on file for future reference now

H&H is the "named brand" but New England Propeller in Plymouth is also capable. You may run into the same issue though. At some point they would rather sell you a new prop rather than repair one that is borderline.

:thumb: :thumb:

I'm currently in Boston headed south. I mangled one of my 27" nibral props in Maine and am using a spare. I'm looking for a prop repair shop on the east coast that reasonably priced and does good work. I had one shop in Maine look at it and tell me he didn't want to do the work as it was too extensive. I've have worse props than this repaired, so think it can be done, I just need the right guy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Atlantis Propeller in South Jersey near Philadelphia does really good work.
John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom