Prolific NA/designer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
I am still discovering things in my boat once in awhile that startle me a little in how clever, useful, or well thought out they are. This has prompted me a couple of times to research the designer whose name plate is on the boat, a naval architect by the name of Pieter Beeldsnijder. I am amazed at the vast number of boats that one man in one life can be involved in.

I have noticed that there are many on this forum that seem to like looking at pictures of boats as much as I do. If you are one of those, I highly recommend that you do a google search for Pieter Beeldsnijder and then click on one of the top choices that is 'images for Pieter Beeldsnijder. I am not sure I could make a link work.

Plan ahead by stockpiling provisions as you could spend days gawking at this array. While he primarily worked in steel boats like mine, there is even a woody or two in the portfolio.

How about this one? This one surprises me because most of his boats (and the Dutch boats generally) are steel or aluminum, but is sure is pretty and the lines/layout are typical.

Attachments

• Big Sur.jpg
    Big Sur.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 99
Many designers are like that. I was amazed the first time I looked at Bill Garden's designs. I must get to Mystic Seaport sometime to see his designs. This gives you an understanding though of these men, from Boats of Every Sort by William Garden:

I love to design boats. Rather design boats than eat. Often do. So let's get going on the perfect ship before you are so old you have to be carried aboard.

I have drawers full of stock plans and a head full of boats that want to be launched.

Whether you want the ultimate in a motor or sailing yacht or a one cylinder clam hound, I can fix you up with a plan to suit.

He had over 670 designs. He was pretty much a recluse. Washington was too busy for him so across the border to Canada to an island.

Many designers have such a love for it that they are quite prolific.

Back
Top Bottom