Old 07-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #1

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Problem in the Swinomish Channel

There was a thread a while back where somone dicussed the difficulties of transiting the Swinomish Channel. Having done it several times, including high tide, low tide, fog and rain, it doesn’t seem too challenging, but this captain found otherwise. These photos were taken today about 1200. I have no idea what happened and haven’t found any info but it appeared the boat was on its side on the wrong side of the tailings piles on the south side. He may have gone aground on the pile and then fallen off it sideways as the tide went out. Rule 1 for the channel, stay in the channel. A bad day.
Attached Thumbnails
963C2958-6757-4C70-A2A6-8A6DFB750A81.jpg   720AA6B8-574F-445B-8385-48AFB79824C5.jpg  
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:02 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Reminds me of the folks we helped in Hawaii who were arguing as to which side of the red buoy they were supposed to be on shortly before they ran up on the reef . . . . Spoiler Alert, the wife was right, and the husband was the skipper of a nuclear ballistic missile submarine . . . .
Old 07-21-2022, 12:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
and the husband was the skipper of a nuclear ballistic missile submarine . . . .

"I have "people" who take care of those details."
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
... it doesn’t seem too challenging, but this captain found otherwise.

Is this on the straight stretch west of "Hole in the wall"? Hard to imagine.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Our late friend Capt. John Aydelotte who owned Vessel Assist/Tow BoatUS in Cornet Bay for many decades always referred to the south channel as "The Million Dollar Mile"...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Our late friend Capt. John Aydelotte who owned Vessel Assist/Tow BoatUS in Cornet Bay for many decades always referred to the south channel as "The Million Dollar Mile"...
In Silva Bay we have "shipyard rock". The mark is a standard Port hand Green, with Fl every 4 seconds.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #7

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Is this on the straight stretch west of "Hole in the wall"? Hard to imagine.
Yes, about halfway between the west entrance and Goat Island.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #8

City: Clearlake
Vessel Name: Wanda June
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 21
I keep my boat in La Conner, and am in and out of that channel all the time.

I saw a boat once, coming from the south, and turned too early into the channel. Ended up about where this one was, on the wrong side of the breakwater.

At high tide, the breakwaters are under water and the north/south current can push you over one even when you think you're pointed down the middle of the channel. Scares me to death when I'm going out in the fog and trying to keep to the side to avoid any oncoming traffic.

A couple weeks ago, in the middle of the "dredged" channel, with the tide at -2.5, my depth sounder registered less than 4 ft, with a foot left to fall.

This is not a place to let your guard down.
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Anybody can make a mistake in this channel if your not constantly updating your position.

And on very low tides water depth is always fairly skinny at low tide at the so. entrance. I went across the so. entrance w about 6” below keel. Numerous other times w a little more water. I slow down and survey my position carefully w less than 1.5’ of water.

Boat wakes are another problem. Have a plan .. A and B. Attack at an angle (about 30 degrees) depending on relevant variables.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #10
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRhodes13 View Post
I keep my boat in La Conner, and am in and out of that channel all the time.

I saw a boat once, coming from the south, and turned too early into the channel. Ended up about where this one was, on the wrong side of the breakwater.

At high tide, the breakwaters are under water and the north/south current can push you over one even when you think you're pointed down the middle of the channel. Scares me to death when I'm going out in the fog and trying to keep to the side to avoid any oncoming traffic.

A couple weeks ago, in the middle of the "dredged" channel, with the tide at -2.5, my depth sounder registered less than 4 ft, with a foot left to fall.

This is not a place to let your guard down.
I think you've figured out the cause. Looks to me like his keel hit the rocks, rolled him on his side and pushed him over to the mud flats. If he'd come from the south across the mud flats at high tide I'd expect to see how bow burried in the rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Swin wreck.jpg   Swin wreck chart.jpg  
Old 07-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Any idea what type boat?
Old 07-21-2022, 06:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Looking at the photo from Portage...

I see a breakwater right alongside the red channel markers, and Mr. Rhodes pointed out the breakwater is under water during high tide. Yep, that's a bad grounding waiting to happen.

My goodness, I feel sorry for the skipper. There but for the grace of God go I.

Reminds me of the time we were on the Tennessee River at dusk, tired and cold, and saw the Watts Bar marina but didn't see the entrance or any channel markers for the entrance. I jumped on the radio and requested local knowledge. Fortunately, someone was monitoring, and directed us almost a mile downriver.

Leaving the next morning, the light of day (and my polarized sunglasses) revealed all of the just barely submerged rocks surrounding the place.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Old 07-21-2022, 09:37 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Looking at the photo from Portage...

I see a breakwater right alongside the red channel markers, and Mr. Rhodes pointed out the breakwater is under water during high tide. Yep, that's a bad grounding waiting to happen.

My goodness, I feel sorry for the skipper. There but for the grace of God go I.

Reminds me of the time we were on the Tennessee River at dusk, tired and cold, and saw the Watts Bar marina but didn't see the entrance or any channel markers for the entrance. I jumped on the radio and requested local knowledge. Fortunately, someone was monitoring, and directed us almost a mile downriver.

Leaving the next morning, the light of day (and my polarized sunglasses) revealed all of the just barely submerged rocks surrounding the place.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
And the ebb runs across the channel north to south. Easy to get set onto the rocks if not paying attention. There are range markers to assist keeping in the channel but you have to use them.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Trawler Forum mobile app
Old 07-21-2022, 10:58 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
There but for the grace of God go I.

It's not that hard; only requires that you have basic skills and pay attention.

I've run it in boats from 22' to 43', sail and power. The only challenge I ever encountered was the azzhole coming the other way "taking his half in the middle."
Old 07-22-2022, 12:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I transit this cut on a regular basis. I don’t find it particularly challenging and yet I see boats ending up on the break water rather frequently.

On the one hand, the breakwater is below the surface during a significant portion of the tide cycle. You see nothing but miles of murky water in almost all directions and there is a red can off to south that could fool you into thinking it’s marking the entrance when it’s in fact far south of the entrance. One look at a chart would tell you how dangerously shallow the area is. However, I can certainly see how some one who is not paying attention could get confused and wander into the breakwater. I just don’t see it happening to some one who is paying attention.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I transit this cut on a regular basis. I don’t find it particularly challenging and yet I see boats ending up on the break water rather frequently.

On the one hand, the breakwater is below the surface during a significant portion of the tide cycle. You see nothing but miles of murky water in almost all directions and there is a red can off to south that could fool you into thinking it’s marking the entrance when it’s in fact far south of the entrance. One look at a chart would tell you how dangerously shallow the area is. However, I can certainly see how some one who is not paying attention could get confused and wander into the breakwater. I just don’t see it happening to some one who is paying attention.
With respect to the old salts and certainly not aimed at tiltrider1. Learn to use ranges. The easiest thing there is for accurate positioning in a place like this as long as you can see them. There is a range for that portion of the channel. More accurate that GPS + plotter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1658500063170.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	130513Click image for larger version

Name:	1658500140746.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	130514Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220722-073802_OpenCPN.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	130515Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220722-073537_OpenCPN.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	130516

Old 07-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #17
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
A bit more info. This happened around 2100 on Saturday night. We came through on Sunday morning. The vessel was approaching from the south and was unfamiliar with the area. They were no where near the channel but were trying to cut the corner and get into it. As has been previously noted the channel is clearly marked on the charts but from the helm at high tide it looks deceptively wide open especially at dusk on a very high tide. Fortunately no one was injured. Boat is a total loss.

Portage_Bay,
There is no range going Northbound, only south.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #18
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
A bit more info. This happened around 2100 on Saturday night. We came through on Sunday morning. The vessel was approaching from the south and was unfamiliar with the area. They were no where near the channel but were trying to cut the corner and get into it. As has been previously noted the channel is clearly marked on the charts but from the helm at high tide it looks deceptively wide open especially at dusk on a very high tide. Fortunately no one was injured. Boat is a total loss.

Portage_Bay,
One lesson I learned, and fortunately I was paying attention, is to be careful with the autopilot.

I carefully entered a course on my newly installed Furuno, and set the way points to go well clear of rocks guarding a reasonably narrow channel I was going to go through. (And I know this channel reasonable well).

The autopilot initiated the turn well before - unreasonably early but any standard except more open water - the way point and wanted to cut the corner taking me over the rocks so I took manual control over.

I went onto the menu settings and changed the setting to make sure the turn initiation occurs much closer to my way point. I recommend others review their settings just in case.

I wonder if that is what happened to them ?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post

Portage_Bay,
That was a high tide at that time. Unfortunate for him. On a lower tide he'd have probably just gotten stuck on the mud flats and freed himself on the next tide.

Yes the range markers are across from the Swinomish Channel entrance on Dugualla Bay and easier to use when transiting westerly towards the markers. However thay are very usable when transiting away from the markers in an easterly direction by looking over your stern. I've been running that channel long before I had GPS when using the range was the only way to be sure I was in the channel at high tide. Often on a boat without a fly bridge so I ran with the wheel house door open to check my position frequently.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #20
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
That was a high tide at that time. Unfortunate for him. On a lower tide he'd have probably just gotten stuck on the mud flats and freed himself on the next tide.

Yes the range markers are across from the Swinomish Channel entrance on Dugualla Bay and easier to use when transiting westerly towards the markers. However thay are very usable when transiting away from the markers in an easterly direction by looking over your stern. I've been running that channel long before I had GPS when using the range was the only way to be sure I was in the channel at high tide. Often on a boat without a fly bridge so I ran with the wheel house door open to check my position frequently.

Bit tougher to do on our new boat so I have a set of landmarks that I use when heading northbound. We are moored in LaConner so this is an every time thing for us.

As for relying on the chart plotter, I don’t trust it in the channel and rely on the depth sounder and range markers.

Also be careful as the latest LNM notes the the Green 13 marker has been relocate farther North. Doesn’t seem like a very good idea to me.