Probably a boaters worst nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So most owners here have diesel powered boats. Geicos numbers probably include more gas than our mix. Lower risk with diesel. Even they come up with nearly half as electrical. 48%. Mostly DC(? Owner”improvements”). Sobering.

And don't forget, the average boater is likely much worse about maintenance and operating precautions (both for gas fuel systems and electrical) than most of the people on this site.

And not I have even less patience with the owners' whining, now that we know two people were burned. Did they express anything regarding the injuries in his "episode?" Hope they have lots of liability insurance. Wonder who was doing the work?

And not I have even less patience with the owners' whining, now that we know two people were burned. Did they express anything regarding the injuries in his "episode?" Hope they have lots of liability insurance. Wonder who was doing the work?

Did they know?

Did they know?

I don't know what they knew, but they'd been talking to people there and they didn't mention not knowing or wondering or anything. Just how it wasn't their fault.

Now direct fault would appear to rest with a contractor, but that doesn't relieve the owner of responsibility and they didn't know the cause at that time. In fact, we still don't know. It's still just supposition at this point.

What they did knot was that there was a fire started on their boat and it did destroy another boat and it likely was damaging the environment and yet they turned it into a youtube "episode" (their words, not mine) of how it wasn't their fault, rather than a public statement of regret and concern. All about them, the stars of the show.

B&B:

Yeah, they were pretty tone-deaf. Came across to me like step 1 in a go-fund-me effort like one of the other well known YouTubers did when his boat sank. On that score a swing and a miss in my opinion.

B&B:

Yeah, they were pretty tone-deaf. Came across to me like step 1 in a go-fund-me effort like one of the other well known YouTubers did when his boat sank. On that score a swing and a miss in my opinion.

A lot of tone deafness around. It's like business owners who shut down and go on tv about how tragic it is while doing nothing for their former employees and driving their Mercedes home to their million dollar home to check on their millions of investments.

"Any sense of what percentage of previously constructed grp is fire retardant?"

IN the USA and much of Euroland ALL GRP military and pilot boats will be FR.

Commercial boats that carry over 6 pax are inspected , but I understand the pax capacity may have been raised .

Many recreational boat assemblers purchase hulls and just finish them, so it would only be a matter of requesting the hull lay up folks to switch to FR.

FR self extinguishes , BUT the fumes from it being burned are really bad.

A number of FR chemicals used to treat polymers are now banned by the EU. And even the US has targeted some as well.

The list includes flame retardant chemicals such as PentaBDE, OctaBDE, DecaBDE, HBCD, and TBBPA. Other substances on the list include bisphenol A, DEHP, SCCPs, PFOA, PFOS, perchloroethylene, trichloro- ethylene, and triclosan. PentaBDE, OctaBDE and hexabromobiphe- nyl are banned in the EU.

The usage of these shifts the issue from the boat owner to the fire fighter and other folk as well. The aviation industry has likely figured this out the hard way too...

I agree with Band B. The owners clearly conveyed a very selfish message. "we had to wake early to make a international call". "we are annoyed that this messed up our plans to spread more do-goods into the Caribbean". "why is the USCG picking on us?", and on and on. YES, the owners did not CAUSE the fire. Fires start when someone is using acetone for cleaning and caught the open tin with a power cord, and spills it out. Presto, international incident. But, the owners are paying for services, and without the owners present to supervise, they up the risk game.
I suppose the flavor of their Ytubes will adjust due to the tremendous amount of inbound litigation maneuvers. If the audience can't learn how to do "glazing" properly, maybe they will learn how to deal with lawyers...

Also please note all that we don't know the glazing was the cause of the fire. It's just something that was being done. But could be something directly related or indirectly.

I agree with Band B. The owners clearly conveyed a very selfish message. "we had to wake early to make a international call". "we are annoyed that this messed up our plans to spread more do-goods into the Caribbean". "why is the USCG picking on us?", and on and on. YES, the owners did not CAUSE the fire. Fires start when someone is using acetone for cleaning and caught the open tin with a power cord, and spills it out. Presto, international incident. But, the owners are paying for services, and without the owners present to supervise, they up the risk game.
I suppose the flavor of their Ytubes will adjust due to the tremendous amount of inbound litigation maneuvers. If the audience can't learn how to do "glazing" properly, maybe they will learn how to deal with lawyers...

I know glazing to be the installation of window glass. Is there another meaning? Glazing as I know it doesn't seem to be a particularly hazardous process, at least with respect to fire.

I know glazing to be the installation of window glass. Is there another meaning? Glazing as I know it doesn't seem to be a particularly hazardous process, at least with respect to fire.

I understood the "reglazing" to be a refinishing, so to speak, of the gelcoat. Perhaps something that would be done to renew the shine and/or cover spidering. I have no idea what exactly was being done to the boat, but really think of "reglazing" as something I would not want done in a slip near my boat. More a yard type activity in my mind.

I had just watched gone with the wynns episode when they needed replaced//reglazed windows on their Leopard 43.

When I posted the link I was wondering about the term, too. “Re-glazing” is not known to me, but I don’t know “it all”. When I googled it, I got sent to sites that described gel coat repair or correction. I found the info for the link via a YouTube channel that provides “boating news of the week”.

The cause will remain unknown for a good while. All we know is it's "not their fault.'

I guess we wait on pins and needles for episode #31.

The cause will remain unknown for a good while. All we know is it's "not their fault.'

I guess we wait on pins and needles for episode #31.

Would you admit fault on a social media channel?

Would you admit fault on a social media channel?

Well, I wouldn't go on a social media channel but if I did it would go like this:

We just learned of our boat in Florida catching fire and burning completely and we immediately cancelled a meeting we had schedule and we're flying there tonight. Another boat then caught fire and our thoughts are with them. We've been contacted by local authorities and contacted our insurer. We haven't been told of any injuries and sure hope there were none. We don't know what happened and may not for some time, but right now our focus is on getting there and doing whatever we need to.

Doesn't have to admit or deny fault, just express sadness over it. The reality is the legal responsibility is clear, not even a question. Now, they might have recourse against someone else.

You can say you're sorry something happened without taking legal responsibility if you wish. But whining about being persecuted by everyone and not being your fault just doesn't pass. Calling out your insurer isn't going to help you either. You need them on your side.

Rhetorical question: Were the people doing the work from a legitimate insured company or a couple of uninsured dock rats? Sometimes, cheap ain't cheap.

Boat fires are the emergency I dread most. Had a close call with ER smoke two years ago. I posted a thread here.

An ER smoke alarm and ER Cameras helped me quickly identify and address the problem. Without them, it could have been much worse.

Which smoke alarm brand? I like the networked detector idea.

Rhetorical question: Were the people doing the work from a legitimate insured company or a couple of uninsured dock rats? Sometimes, cheap ain't cheap.

The two voices that were at the epicenter, I have not heard. USCG will certainly be looking at the use of volatile chemicals. And the use of cigarettes, vaping, etc.

Better but still some issues. She still says "not our fault" but they do admit their responsibility. Seem to have at least heard some of the criticism. I still question them sitting in Australia and not coming to Fort Lauderdale? Are they in fear of something or what? All these things about not being able to find out the owner of the boat and not being able to find out about injuries, I just have difficulty buying. Also, they commented that the injured were released so nothing serious. Well, one of them suffered significant burns to his legs. That's not deadly, but it's definitely something I consider serious.

I see Boat US got the job.

Is it really the insurance agent they're contacting or the claims people, I wonder?

They seemed so naive about the potential of liability on damage to other boats and the salvage process and damage to the environment. I would be shocked but then I've seen hundreds of people here question the need for insurance and seemingly unaware of the potential exposure in a situation like this. So that should serve as a reminder and warning to all. I will add that this is a small claim compared to what it could be. They tossed out the numbers of closing the canal, which didn't have to be done. What if the boat beside them had been a $20 million boat instead of a 45' Leopard? What if this had been anywhere that doesn't have fire boats like the Fort Lauderdale area does, that couldn't have responded as quickly with the fire department, the CG, the salvage companies, a yard right across the water and everything else available to them? Even a maritime attorney right there. I just think of all the places the boat could have been and they definitely are fortunate in that regard.

Still soliciting positive feedback and attacking negative but not surprising. Still a broadcast episode more than just people talking. If it was my show, then I'd also try to make myself look good. I never understood those with autobiographies that you thought less of after reading their version.

All in all, better, but my greatest criticism is that they're still sitting in their living room in Australia. The one thing I do applaud is that to this point they have said "we don't know the cause" and they've said nothing to throw the workers under the bus in spite of saying it's not their fault. I was surprised at their mention of arson, even if only to say no signs of it. Why did the thought even cross their minds, or were they simply quoting the fire marshals?

Are those of us criticizing them being too picky or harsh? Well, it's their television show so I think subject to that. It's not just two people having a loss. It's a scripted show, very carefully scripted and you see it on both of these episodes. They are professionals in that regard. That is ultimately what we're critiquing, just as we do any other reality show. That is part of broadcasting a show.

Better but still some issues. She still says "not our fault" but they do admit their responsibility. Seem to have at least heard some of the criticism. I still question them sitting in Australia and not coming to Fort Lauderdale?..

I don't think they can get out of Australia, and if they did, getting back in is all but impossible according to discussions on CF.

Some jurisdictions in Australia are locked up tight. They have, or have had, lock down measures where one cannot moved more than a couple of miles from your home. Travel is limited to getting to work(if allowed), to get food, some exercise, or going for health care. Travel among the various states is/has been blocked.

The various Australian governments are opening and closing movement as outbreaks occur but the one constant has been the difficulty and expense of returning to Australia.

Some Australian states are not excepting ANY, zero, nada, zilch, arrivals from overseas.

https://usa.embassy.gov.au/news/covid19-stay-informed#Returning to Australia

If they managed to get out of Australia, and then got back in, they will have to pay thousands of dollars to go into a quarantine hotel for 10-14 days. They are putting people into quarantine even though they have been at sea for weeks with no symptoms.

Later,
Dan

Well, I wouldn't go on a social media channel but if I did it would go like this:

We just learned of our boat in Florida catching fire and burning completely and we immediately cancelled a meeting we had schedule and we're flying there tonight. Another boat then caught fire and our thoughts are with them. We've been contacted by local authorities and contacted our insurer. We haven't been told of any injuries and sure hope there were none. We don't know what happened and may not for some time, but right now our focus is on getting there and doing whatever we need to.

Doesn't have to admit or deny fault, just express sadness over it. The reality is the legal responsibility is clear, not even a question. Now, they might have recourse against someone else.

You can say you're sorry something happened without taking legal responsibility if you wish. But whining about being persecuted by everyone and not being your fault just doesn't pass. Calling out your insurer isn't going to help you either. You need them on your side.

I don't understand why more people don't use this kind of basic common sense. Perhaps it's an issue of character and not everyone having it.

TBH, years ago I grabbed a 6-pack of smoke detectors at Walmart and they have served me well in every stateroom, inverter cabinet, engine room and passageway I could find to mount them. Cheap insurance for a few 9V batteries per year.

If I was to do it again, I'd favor the networked alarms.

This is what I used.

First Alert SA511CN2-3ST Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarm with Voice Location, Battery Operated

I’m not a lawyer so to me fault and responsibility mean two different things. I understand courts, admiralty law may in effect use those words as a equivalency. We don’t know if they personally did some revision or action before they left that was the direct or indirect cause of the fire but from what they say they personally were in Australia and don’t report such an action. They admit responsibility and even in the prior episode didn’t deny responsibility. Rather to my understanding they use “fault” in the non legal common usage meaning.Perhaps a lawyer may educate us as to the legal meaning of fault and responsibility.
I’ve left my boat from weeks and sometimes months in a foreign country. Work has been done in my absence so only supervised by my yacht management company. In that setting I have only the reputation of the yacht management company and selected vendors to assure me the workers are acting responsibly and safely. I’m told what I’m told by those two entities and what I see on shared videos and pictures.
Hence, understand how they could feel not being at fault but being responsible. Wonder if some here are being too harsh. Don’t subscribe to any channels. Don’t like that ecosystem at all. But that’s another issue. Wonder if other posters here who have had occasion to leave their boat in another country have a similar view of how this couple could feel the way they do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom