Probably a boaters worst nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You did great Steve but let’s say you live in the states. You left the boat in the Bahamas or Caribbean to be home for Xmas or work. Now how can you run the scenario your diligence accomplished? Just not realistic imho. Not even realistic in your home country unless in very local home waters.

IF I were to leave my boat anywhere while I was hundreds or thousands of miles away then I would first look into local options in case of emergency.

I keep my boat in the Gulf Islands and live on the mainland. I am alerted if the power is unplugged and contact marina staff. I would get alerts if the bilge pump operates. But that is not the same as you suggest and I suppose if I lived on the east coast then I would have to adapt. I cannot relate to leaving my boat like that, never had a reason to consider it.

Usually need to engage a yacht management company and then dependent upon them to have knowledge of competence and availability of local vendors. They are more likely to respond quickly to the yacht management company than you given you are a single contract with low probability of return business. We have engaged a yacht management company every time we’ve left the boat in another country. Have vetted them closely as well as the contract. Once done they are able to act as our agent. Even so the resources maybe very limited depending upon where you are.

Usually need to engage a yacht management company and then dependent upon them to have knowledge of competence and availability of local vendors. They are more likely to respond quickly to the yacht management company than you given you are a single contract with low probability of return business. We have engaged a yacht management company every time we’ve left the boat in another country. Have vetted them closely as well as the contract. Once done they are able to act as our agent. Even so the resources maybe very limited depending upon where you are.
:thumb:
And that is how you take care of your boat when you cannot be there personally.

The 1%ers leave their captain and/or mate aboard at a minimum. Often full crew if she’s being chartered in their absence or sometimes if it’s a corporate boat with several using it. It’s us cruisers both power and sail being neither fish nor fowl that’s stuck with the expense of yacht management. Sometimes your insurance wants you to have management and obligate specifics of what they want to keep your policy active and at the same cost. Even with remote monitoring a yacht management arrangement is usually a good idea and worth the money.

Or, pull it and store on the hard if gone for more than a week or two?

Or, pull it and store on the hard if gone for more than a week or two?

Assuming the boat in question went up in flames due to a worker's fault, it could just as easily occur on the hard. In the US, Canada and Europe considerable boat work occurs during the winter months when vessels are land stored.

Then there are the huge conflagrations that have occurred with smaller vessels during rack storage. As previously stated, hire good "covered" help and carry good insurance.

Even when the boats on the hard you usually still need yacht management if you’re in a different country. In the tropics UV is the enemy. So you have sun covers. Virtually all yards require they be removed if the winds reach a certain limit or definitely if a storm comes through. In the north you’re under a cover or shrink wrap unless you have deep pockets for inside storage. And there’s the birds, bugs, batteries, theft, and other mishaps. Sure the requirements and number of visits are much less on the hard so so is the expense. But the need is still there abet to a lesser degree.

Back
Top Bottom