private dockage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigs

Veteran Member
I was wondering if there's a resource with listings of reputable people offering short term dockage all along the ICW up to Florida.

I'm planning in a few years come October to take my boat from my home port in southern Quebec, Canada and riding out the ICW then hopping to the Bahamas.

BUT I cannot fully commit to it full time so I was thinking traveling 2 to 3 weeks at a time but I'll need to fly back home for work, then fly back maybe a week or two latter to continue the voyage. I would need to do this several times during the winter season leaving the boat in florida or Bahamas.

I have been talking to lots of boaters telling me that it is not that easy to leave the boat in marinas for extended periods of time because of the cost, security etc.

thanks for any suggestions.

Greetings,
Mr. T. Perhaps we've always been lucky but we've never had any problems with leaving our vessel at any marinas on a short term (1-4wks.) basis. Yes, cost does enter into it but not security IMO.

Most marinas will give a better rate for weekly or monthly stays. Overnight is the most expensive. We have left one of our previous boats for a month due to weather and had no issues.

Three years ago we had to leave our boat in a city-owned marina on the Columbia for a bit over 2 months due to weather then a trip to Europe then more bad weather. I kept in touch with the marina during this time and the office gal kept reminding me how fast the charges were mounting up.

When we were going to pick the boat up I spoke with the marina manager and he and I came to terms at $10/day including power for their 70' long end tie. The office gal was really torqued when she found out about the deal he had cut me. Too bad, so sad. The power of a smile and willingness to negotiate goes a long way in marinas that are not full up.

I'm thinking joining the American great loop cruisers association and tap in there info on marinas, routes etc... just wondering if it's worth ... any thoughts?

Trident newspaper in Ft Lauderdale usually has listings for private docks in that area. Almost all are no live aboard. I agree that marinas are a better choice for a number of reasons.

You can also try some of the apps such as Dockwa, Snag A Slip, etc.

We keft our 46’ trawler in Eureka, CA for a month back in 2002. It was $127 for the month, smoking deal. When we got to LA the slip was about $700 a month on a yearly contract.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom