Price of Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
Can anybody tell me the current price of water in the Bahamas? I am debating whether to spend the money on a watermaker. We will probably be there for 4 to 6 weeks.

how much water you need for a week?

Hugues

Depends. George Town ro water is free if you want to jerry jug it. Great Harbor Marina has free dock water that you can wash with but it's high in TDS. Their RO water is $0.50/gallon. For estimating I'd probably use $0.75/gallon to be on the safe side.

It is always cheaper to buy water (if you can get it) than to make it using a watermaker. The initial cost and the cost of operation of a watermaker amortized over any thing other than full time use probably exceeds even expensive 60 US cent per gallon water.

However there is a great convenience factor that may be worth paying for a watermaker. Many people in the Bahamas and elsewhere in the Caribbean do not frequent marinas and go to the fuel dock or a slip just for water.

I have heard of 5 cent water, 12 cent water and 60 cent water.

There is a problem in some locations getting water. For example there is as drought in parts of the Eastern Caribbean right now. If it continues in the pattern of four years ago the marinas will not have water except for a few hours per week. When that happened those of us with watermakers were bringing jerry cans of water in lieu of wine to our friends boats.

What I like about the Czech Republic: beer is less expensive than bottled water. :blush:

When you have a watermaker, you wonder how you survived without it. Enuff said.

You need some decent water tanks.;)

My drinking water tanks hold 2500 litres and I have an additional 3500 litres for washing if so inclined.
Currently I just use the 2500 litre tanks for everything and get about 6 weeks before needing a refill.
Water here is about 40c/1000 litres, so I am yet to be actually charged.

Thread creep - a tale of two different couples.

A few years ago we a met couple in the Broughtons who were on a Selene 47. Their RO unit was underperforming due to fouled membranes. They were hoping to buy membranes in a nearby community that were very high priced. With a daily use of 100 gallons or so for the two of them the necessary parts were mandatory.

At that time we were buddy boating with some friends of ours who had a KK 42. They no longer ran their RO unit since they only used about 15 gallons per day of water, less water than diesel on most days. They had about a dozen spare (not needed) membranes so sold them to the couple on the S47 for a handsome profit but still cheaper than the town 30 miles away.

This water use disparity resulted in some interesting discussions about onboard water use while we were at the Sullivan Bay docks, which like most places in the Broughtons lacks potable water. As best I recall there was as much as a ten fold difference in water consumption per person per day on the various boats in a happy hour get together. You got it, higher by far for the RO equipped vessels.

Active Captain has a Quick Lists section. There are about 100 Bahamas marinas listed. Find a few in the area you plan to go (go to the Live Map tab and zoom in on the area to find marinas) and check out their water prices.

It varies from $5.00 per day (with slip rental of course) at marinas in Marsh Harbor to $0.40 per gallon at a marina in Georgetown.

A water maker will cost at least $5,000 plus a couple of thousand for installation. So you pay a lot for the convenience.

When we cruised the Bahamas a while back we used 5-10 gallons per day for the two of us and filled our tanks every 2-3 week for free at marinas in Marsh Harbor. It takes some work to keep it down that low. We ran the shower and caught it in a jug until it got warm then we both showered back to back (well, maybe not literally) and used the jug water to wash dishes.

David

Although I will admit that having a water maker is a really nice convenience, the judicious use of onboard water can be easily learned. Like fuel & battery capacity, fresh water on a boat is a management problem. When I went to Catalina Island last April, I had four adults on the boat for 4 days & 150 gallons of water. That works out to 9.73 gals/person/day. (Drinking, showering, etc.) I published this factoid in a "Welcome Aboard" letter to my cruising friends, along with instructions on using the head, emergency procedures, etc. We also had 54 small bottles of drinking water & plenty of beer & cocktail supplies which we didn't manage as well as our water supply. When we returned to San Diego, we still had 60 gallons of water in the tank. (Note: Everyone used the shower but did it in a marine fashion. (Get wet, turn water off, soap down, rinse off. ) This resulted in a lot of laughs but no one was put out!

I will admit that cruising for days & weeks at a time, having a water maker would be a necessity but for most of us, managing the onboard supply, judiciously, can go a long way! :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 182
At that time we were buddy boating with some friends of ours who had a KK 42. They no longer ran their RO unit since they only used about 15 gallons per day of water,.

To each his own; 7.5 gallons per person (or less) per day?
For us it is called "pleasure boating"

At that time we were buddy boating with some friends of ours who had a KK 42. They no longer ran their RO unit since they only used about 15 gallons per day of water,.

Wifey B: Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Sorry for yelling, but you made the point I was about to. We don't use more water because we have a watermaker, we have a watermaker so we can use more water. I'm not for roughing it. I like showers, really long hot showers, really really long when one or both of us distracts us while showering. We do our part to conserve as we do shower together. ;) Restricting water usage just really is not something I want to do and since there's a choice, I don't. It's the same with shampooing and conditioning my hair and changing into clean clothes. These are part of my lifestyle, I don't want to sacrifice.

Wifey B: Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Sorry for yelling, but you made the point I was about to. We don't use more water because we have a watermaker, we have a watermaker so we can use more water. I'm not for roughing it. I like showers, really long hot showers, really really long when one or both of us distracts us while showering. We do our part to conserve as we do shower together. ;) Restricting water usage just really is not something I want to do and since there's a choice, I don't. It's the same with shampooing and conditioning my hair and changing into clean clothes. These are part of my lifestyle, I don't want to sacrifice.

My thoughts exactly. If I wanted to rough it, then a Sea Kayak with tents would work. I'm too old and want my creature features. A hot shower, clean clothes are our requirements when we cruise for 6-7 months at a time. And, I don't recall anyone that we cruised with that needed water turning down my offer to top off their tanks.
Sailors are a bit different breed, yet they liked my ice maker and water maker!
Call me spoiled if you want, I can handle it!

Gee, sorry I mentioned that some are more water frugal than others. But you perfectly supported my post, the more you have the more you use. For those of us that grew up offshore racing, water frugality was learned at a ripe young age. Shower you say, overboard with a bar of soap did it.

My brother's previous vessel, when fully operating, used 1,000 gpd Two big water makers did the trick. Codger's post above points out what a careful couple with guests can do if they choose to. And Codger doesn't appear to have missed too many showers.

I will be the very first to say that if I was cruising full time in far off places a water maker would be mandatory. But those days are behind us and now boat where fresh water is readily available, the US and Canada west coast.

BTW, my friends with the KK42 who only used 15 gpd, had a previous life of world wide sailing and knew their water wants and needs pretty well. They sure had fun when guests were on board though. They -gasp- had to refill their tanks at least every 10 days or so. Another virtue of the KK line, big tanks.

Last edited:
Our KK42 has a 300 gallon water capacity. However, we run a wash in the washing machine each day, 11 gallons, and two showers, a gallon and a half drinking, plus dishwashing. Result we would need to fill the tanks every week. A pain. The watermaker is run every other day for three hours. We have been known not to life the anchor for a month.

Convenience of course, but so are many things.

Wifey B: Ok, typically on the loop we've averaged 6 people aboard. It varied which 6 and sometimes was 7 but typical was 5 females and 1 male.

Now some of my numbers may be way off as not something I've spent time on but here it is.

5 1/2 showers 110 gallons
2 loads of laundry 40 gallons
2 loads of dishes 30 gallons
washing hands and brushing teeth 30 gallons
flushing toilets 30 gallons
we only drink bottled water so not counting that

Wifey B: Ok, typically on the loop we've averaged 6 people aboard. It varied which 6 and sometimes was 7 but typical was 5 females and 1 male.

Now some of my numbers may be way off as not something I've spent time on but here it is.

I suppose you're using a dishwasher. Most use only about 5 gallons per load. I would use considerably more water than that by hand washing. And you sailors, spare me the salt water wash, mist of fresh water rinse.

I stand by my statement to each his own. The OP wanted to know the cost of water. He can then make his informed decision knowing what constitutes pleasure boating for him. If 7.5 gallons (or less) per day is pleasurable, so be it, if not, there are alternatives. There is no correct way.

Some of us have to include consumption from fresh-water toilets in our calculation of water usage.

That is the beauty of The Keys. You can get meals on shore.
You can fuel up every where.
Lots of grocery stores. Crystal clear tropical ocean waters.
Dry Tortuga's for remote anchoring.
Close medical aid.
Emergency services.
AND FREE WATER.
And you don't have to pay $300.00 for the privilege of spending more money in the area.

Is that every day? Two laundry loads and two dishwater loads?

Seems awfully heavy. We don't even do that at home.

Is that every day? Two laundry loads and two dishwater loads?

Seems awfully heavy. We don't even do that at home.

Wifey B: With 7 people on board, that's about the average. The laundry load is so high just with bed and bath linens. Clothes are a small percentage because the clothes we wear take up very little washer space. On the dishwasher if we cook dinner on board, it takes two loads as the cooking utensils and pots and pans and the dishes won't all fit in one load. Some days we have three loads when you count breakfast or lunch and other days only one. If it was just the two of us, the water supply would go much further. We're about to do a 5 day trip to the Bahamas with just three of us and there will be no laundry done and probably no more than 3 or so loads of dishes.:)

Wifey B: Ok, typically on the loop we've averaged 6 people aboard. It varied which 6 and sometimes was 7 but typical was 5 females and 1 male

Geeezzzzz, with that much estrogen onboard, I'm afraid I'd run outta booze. Cuz 5 women can put a serious hurt on the ships store! :dance:

Geeezzzzz, with that much estrogen onboard, I'm afraid I'd run outta booze. Cuz 5 women can put a serious hurt on the ships store! :dance:

Wifey B: No alcohol consumed on boat except rare special occasions for champagne. So running out of booze isn't an issue we encounter. :)

Trip just completed was 5F, 2M. Next trip is 2F, 1M. Our "family" is very heavily weighted toward females.

Last edited:
Some of us have to include consumption from fresh-water toilets in our calculation of water usage.
Yep.
2 fresh water toilets, 2 fresh water showers, washing machine, ice maker, chilled water and 6 weeks plus autonomy without a water maker.

NO, Been in the Bahamas 6 months on and off. Wife and I on 43 Mainship. We use 20 gallons a day. That includes washing boat,clothes, dishes,showers etc. We have traveled from West End trough the Abaco's, Harbour Island, Nassau and the Exumas. Water Cost is .25 to .50 cents per gallon. Making water is not free do to the high cost of electricity. 180 days @ $6 per day= $540.

NO, Been in the Bahamas 6 months on and off. Wife and I on 43 Mainship. We use 20 gallons a day. That includes washing boat,clothes, dishes,showers etc. We have traveled from West End trough the Abaco's, Harbour Island, Nassau and the Exumas. Water Cost is .25 to .50 cents per gallon. Making water is not free do to the high cost of electricity. 180 days @ $6 per day= $540.

I discount the cost of electricity. Mine is a 12 volt system which operates off the batteries for 2 hrs 15 minutes. Then turn on generator for its usual 45 minute run, charges batteries (two chargers) and finishes off the water maker run.

However, using a water maker has a high cost. My unit is now 10 years old. Each year I have to replace at least one part which cost $200 or more, plus filters - $40 per year, and storage chemicals ($25 per year). All in all even with a minimum of four months a year of regular usage we can not justify the water maker on the basis of cost. But then I cannot justify the boat itself on any cost basis.

If you have a watermaker similar to Cruise RO, I think the bigger the less overall costs. And abundant water makes life better. I often supply water to others and don't miss it. I can make about 40+ gallons and hour and tank 450 gallons. I run often enough for short times so I don't have to pickle. I don't have to run a generator for hours making water. I have several pre-filters that are washable so buying other filters is rare. I haven't used dock water since 2011. When I had a 5 gallon an hour system I spent a lot of money in fuel, filters and pumps. It seems the small stuff wears out or fails more rapidly. The only cost on the bigger system in the last 2 years was cleaning the membranes because I let them sit too long. In the past I owned commercial yacht watermakers and consider them to be a money hole.

Back
Top Bottom