The Price of Boats in Florida...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
... and if you want a higher price for your boat, move it out of Florida. ;-)

and if you want a higher price for your boat, move it out of Florida. ;-)

About 100% higher for a wooden boat , about 50% higher for std GRP.

and if you want a higher price for your boat, move it out of Florida. ;-)

About 100% higher for a wooden boat , about 50% higher for std GRP.

Get real. So a $300k boat in NC is selling for $175k in FL. Wow. :banghead:

Tucker you need to move or get the listings and send them up here for me to sell. Easy pickings.

Get real. So a $300k boat in NC is selling for $175k in FL. Wow. :banghead:

You be the judge.

www.floridamariner.com/

Glad you said that. Not really I do have other things to do today.

Went to your site. The first two feature boats were a 1999 Carver and a 1972 Hatteras 38 DC.

Went to Yacht World. You may have hear of them. Searched Carver 1999-2000, 45' Diesels. The least expensive one was in Pickwick TN @ $160k. The most expensive one was in NYC @ $340, second most expensive were in CA (no surprise there) and one in Amelia Island FL @ $260 and the remainder of the 15 that came up were less than your sites $188 boat and they were all over the US. Some were 2000's and not 1999.

Revised the search to the Hatteras 1972-1973 38 DC. Highest price on the list was your sites @ $100k. Lowest was in Southport NC at $40k with several @ the mid $50s in FL and the rest of the country. There were six or so that the price was different but they were Sport Fish and not DC (Double Cabin).

As in all broad statements that paint anything with the same brush. Bogas come to mind.

So much for that exercise. :banghead:

I'm sure that someplace like in Kissimmee FL a boat with no engines and a hole where the one engine fell out, sold for half of what that same boat sold for someplace else but get real.

There is no question that FL boats go cheap as many will have some problems. BUT not ALL!

The most common of course is a poor engine that was not taken out of service properly , but except for the real north where boats are hauled and yard serviced annually , it is a common problem anywhere. Esp if owner maintained.

This is why at times you see fairly new boats with "new engines" the owner was too lazy or ignorant to bother with taking care of them.

The other big FL problem is crap fuel in the tanks that are clogged with growth.

The dockside "fuel polishers" usually work well enough to sell the boat but are not a long term fix.

A hole cut in the tank and a good manual clean out is required , the parts are OTS to do this.

While tastes vary , I see some amazing bargains The $9000 trailer tug was one ($40,000 in yachtbrokerworld) and there have been many in the 35 ft range that sell for about $20K.

Sure, some need the teak deck overlay paint job removed , or the PH windows sealed , but so do most of the same brand , wherever kept.

At times the find is a boat with most of the work required on every old boat already finished , as it wont sell for that much more than the project boat.

Craigs list WANTED is a good resource.

Last edited:
There is no question that FL boats go cheap as many will have some problems. BUT not ALL!

The most common of course is a poor engine that was not taken out of service properly , but except for the real north where boats are hauled and yard serviced annually , it is a common problem anywhere. Esp if owner maintained.

This is why at times you see fairly new boats with "new engines" the owner was too lazy or ignorant to bother with taking care of them.

The other big FL problem is crap fuel in the tanks that are clogged with growth.

The dockside "fuel polishers" usually work well enough to sell the boat but are not a long term fix.

A hole cut in the tank and a good manual clean out is required , the parts are OTS to do this.

While tastes vary , I see some amazing bargains The $9000 trailer tug was one ($40,000 in yachtbrokerworld) and there have been many in the 35 ft range that sell for about $20K.

Sure, some need the teak deck overlay paint job removed , or the PH windows sealed , but so do most of the same brand , wherever kept.

At times the find is a boat with most of the work required on every old boat already finished , as it wont sell for that much more than the project boat.

Craigs list WANTED is a good resource.

But the point is Fred those same things are true all over the country as well. Go to any yard, ant where and there are at least a 1/2 dozen boats that haven't seen their owner in a couple of years and can be bought for way under the going rate. But who really wants them.

Right next to Gonzo's boat in the yard he is in there are at least seven or eight all lined up in the grass in a row. The funny part, or at least to both of us when we found out, was that they all pay their storage on time. I wouldn't get in one with out a respirator on that's how bad they are. One just changed hands as the owner died and left the boat to his daughter. She didn't want the boat so tried to sell it and was feed a BS story as to how much it was worth. After paying storage on it for a while she gave it away on one of those junk lists. The person that got it thought he was getting a real deal and a fixer upper. When he came to NC to see the boat he almost had a stroke. Now there's one that can be had cheap. Cheaper than a FL boat right here in NC.

Besides which what do you do with a boat that is $25k cheaper in FL that won't make it to Boston or anyplace other than the slip it is in? Even if it get someplace under it's own power the cost to bring a trawler up from FL can be a bit hefty.

The deals are where you find them. I really don't think they are in any one place. Fl has more boats due to the amount of coast line so it will have more boats for sell at anyone time, I'll give it that. Due to the age of the population it probably has more boats that go for sale due to the death of the owner than anyplace else as well. Some time that means a good reduction due to the fact that the new owner (wife or kids) don't want the damn thing.

But that being said I'm not buying the 100% or 50% cheaper numbers for the same quality of boat. Just isn't happening.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas Fred.

So I'm sticking with what I have said.

Back
Top Bottom