Pressure testing fuel system ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJM

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
1982 41' President
I am upgrading my fuel delivery system and want to verify that there are no leaks anywhere. Specifically I am adding a distribution manifold, replacing a fuel priming pump and the aged hoses that are easily accessed.

Any ideas ? I guess I could get a small hand pump and soap up the connections looking for bubbles ? What PSIG ?
I have Ford Lehmans with 3/8" fuel lines.

If you can valve off the engine itself and the fuel tank(s), then I’d pump it up to 10-20 psi and check for leaks. Modern tanks are tested to only a couple PSI, so definitely don’t pressurize it. Re the engine, I have no idea what pressure it could take, so safest to valve it off.

Sometimes it's easier to find small leaks with air pressure. Since the lines and manifold will be new and empty, I'd put a gauge and air fitting on the system and pump it up to 10 pounds or so and see if it holds for a few hours.

A outboard style fuel bulb will make enough pressure to find a leak.

A strip pf paper towel in each fitting and an overnight will show even a tiny leak.

All good advice, just make sure you don't pump the tanks up beyond 3psi and usually 2psi is enough for checking for tank leaks.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom