Prep Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
How long does it take to prep your boat to take out, away from the dock? Do you have a check-list?

This is for you liveaboard folks too. KJ

Depends on what kind of "going out" we're doing. If it's just an overnight trip to an anchorage in the San Juan Islands it takes us about half an hour from arriving at the boat to leaving the slip. The boat is always stocked with food--refrigerated, canned, and dry-- as well as clothes and whatnot.

And yes, we have a short checklist for both getting the boat ready to go and setting it up for us to leave it at the end of a trip. Sort of a pre-flight/post-flight thing.

If we're going out on a longer cruise--- several days to two or three weeks--- then it takes longer because we have stuff to stow, the groundpower cord to disconnect and stow on board, and so on. So it usually takes about an hour from first arrival to backing out.

And if we have guests accompanying us it can take even longer because they have to stow their stuff in their stateroom, we might need to explain some things to them, and so on.

Last edited:
Took twenty minutes Saturday. Inspect the bilge, systems check, oil check, open sea cocks, fire engine, turn on electronics, unplug shore power, raise door(enclosed berth), throw lines and go.

Not counting the possibility of loading the boat up with lots of supplies or waiting for crew/guests to arrive ... about 15 minutes.

Turn on the electrical circuits, turn on radar, gps, autopilot, radio; check fluid levels, charge fuel, hoist bow burgee and stern ensign, disconnect electrical line to dock, start engine, and cast off lines.

Builders' photo follows. When docked and off the boat, only the shore circuit, inverter charger, and fridge circuit are left on.

img_140972_0_0e0213846d0a41dae7a46187e5a4be45.jpg

Last edited:
We have a 15 minute rule- anytime we get the urge to go, we have to able to slip lines and be underway in 15 min or less. Helps us to keep the gear adrift to a minimum.

5 minutes....and that includes lines, hose, shore power.

This is my 3rd, often used liveaboard.

My rule is it doesn't stay aboard unless it has a pemanent home that is secure for normal underway operations.

Obviously when the boat is undergoing some sort of repairs the rule is slackened..

My boat is ready to go with just a few mechanical checks. Food, ice, and drinks are another story, it depends on where we are going and how long we will be gone.

It's never a race, if it's going to take longer, we just leave home earlier.

Never timed it. As Ron says, it's not a race.:blush:

Can be a race if you want to make a bridge/lock or beat weather (or escape the ABYC standards police :D) ..then again a liveaboard or actively cruising is usually a different story...:thumb:

I have a complete checklist specific to my boat. I find I really do need to be disciplined about checking it off though I know it by heart, plus, I enter things on there like fluid levels and what if anything was added, notes on how dirty the strainers are, etc both for record keeping and follow up. Being live-aboards / cruisers, many of the items are done the night before especially if we have an early start scheduled.

I've never really timed the whole process end-to end, there are some variables, such as if we are towing the Whaler or have it up top (also a factor when at anchor), or if we have the Sea Stairs mounted vs the ladder, are we on dock water, and of course if anchored how hard the anchor is to bring up and how muddy it and the chain are, etc etc.

We treat our boat almost (but not quite) like car.

Last Sunday afternoon we went out for a cocktail cruise. Arrived at boat with a pitcher of cocktails and snacks. I made a quick check of the bilge, checked the oil and noticed a bit of water in the Racor. Took about 5 minutes to find a container and drain it.

Then fired up the engine, let it idle 2-3 minutes until air heater went off, cast off the lines and pulled out of the slip. Maybe 10 minutes tops.

Pulling back in the slip is even shorter. Tie the lines (3 minutes) shut down the engine. Hook up shorepower and check panel for AC (2 minutes). Grab the remnants of the snacks and cocktails (none ;-) and walk off the boat.

David

Last edited:
I could probably do it in less than 15 minutes, but I like to let the engine warm up for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on outside air temperature) before getting under way.

Sadly as I get older a check list has become a necessity (can't remember why). As a charter boat, there are lots of things to be done in the 30 minutes before departure. Customer briefing, system checks, paper work, power cord, dock lines, etc are what come to mind. It's the little things that don't come to mind that are the problem. :facepalm:

Ted

The Eagle is our home, if required less than 15 minutes as I try to keep the Eagle ready at all times. However, to go out more like a 2 to 4 hours. First have to wash the bird poop off the boat, roll up/take down canvas, take down/stow misc interior items, check things out, start the engine/electronics, double check, greet/infform guests of the rules, and throw off the lines. Then once back at the dock about 1 to 2 hours to put things back. Now if we take the run about/dink less than a minute which we use on a daily bases.

I could probably do it in less than 15 minutes, but I like to let the engine warm up for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on outside air temperature) before getting under way.
Ted

I always "warm up" my engine underway so I move off at no wake speed as soon as it is started. No idling without a load for me, it's bad for the engine.

First off, no checklist, although we have discussed putting one together (more for the return/leaving the boat than going out). If everything is loaded and weather is nice, it doesn't take more than ten minutes or so to put up the flag, open the seacocks, check oil, unhook power, and head out. If it is really cold, we may plug in the block heater for about an hour so that we have heat the moment we leave the dock. If we need to load a bunch of provisions and have friends along, then however long it takes to run to the store again to get the things we forgot (i.e., we have a case of beer, but did someone remember to bring a just in case . . . ) ;)

Last edited:
We do have a checklist and it takes 15 - 30 minutes depending on things like whether we need to fill up the water tanks and if we are taking the dinghy. We usually drive from the fly bridge and the list helps make sure we have everything we need up there. We also have a "leaving anchorage" list with slightly different things on it like turning on the windlass breaker and wash down pump.

We usually drive from the fly bridge and the list helps make sure we have everything we need up there.

That is a good point. Since we only drive from the pilot house, everything is already there the moment we step on the boat. When we take out the sailboat, it takes longer to get ready becuase we need to bring out the horn, flares, binoc, chartplotter, handheld vhf, etc.

Those that have checklists (Pineapple Girl, O C Diver, caltexflac, etc), would you be willing to share them? I know they are probably specific to your boat, but as an engineer, I love checklists... I just haven't created my own for departure/arrival/leaving yet.

I always "warm up" my engine underway so I move off at no wake speed as soon as it is started. No idling without a load for me, it's bad for the engine.
Agree that long periods of idling isn't good. 5 to 10 minutes of idle followed by hours of cruising in a day has no effect. Can't think of a commercial fisherman or charter boat captain that doesn't let there engine warm up before they leave the dock.

Ted

Those that have checklists (Pineapple Girl, O C Diver, caltexflac, etc), would you be willing to share them? I know they are probably specific to your boat, but as an engineer, I love checklists... I just haven't created my own for departure/arrival/leaving yet.

Matt, if you PM me an e-mail address I will send you one. It is on a spreadsheet.

"By myself, 5 to 10 minutes. With my wife and daughter, 45 minutes to 6 months. " :lol:

My routine doesn't change much except from winter to summer. In winter and summer the first thing I do is fire up the diesels. If it's hot enough to need A/C or cold enough to need heat the next thing I do is fire up the genset. After it's warmed up a couple of minutes I switch power over then unhook the shore power cables.

After the engines have warmed up (15 minutes in winter, 10 minutes in summer) I undo the dock lines and we're heading out.

That usually takes only about 20 minutes, most of which is waiting for the engines to warm up a bit.

In summer I usually will also hose down and scrub the boat if its dusty. That's about 15 minutes and is done while the engines are warming up.

Ours are laid out similar to the checklists we use in the plane. It's important not to load them up with too many items. Otherwise it will discourage you to use them.

Ours are on one sheet of paper, heavily laminated. One side has our pre-departure checklist, the other has our post-arrival list. The lists are laid out in categories like the plane's. Only the most important things are on them, things that are important to the safety or proper operation of the boat. So items pertaining to the motors and drivelines, propane, electricity (AC and DC), seacocks, lines, and a few items very specific to our boat.

We keep the laminated sheet in the window beside the helm with one of those suction cup clips.

We treat our boat almost (but not quite) like car.

Last Sunday afternoon we went out for a cocktail cruise. Arrived at boat with a pitcher of cocktails and snacks. I made a quick check of the bilge, checked the oil and noticed a bit of water in the Racor. Took about 5 minutes to find a container and drain it.

Then fired up the engine, let it idle 2-3 minutes until air heater went off, cast off the lines and pulled out of the slip. Maybe 10 minutes tops.

Pulling back in the slip is even shorter. Tie the lines (3 minutes) shut down the engine. Hook up shorepower and check panel for AC (2 minutes). Grab the remnants of the snacks and cocktails (none ;-) and walk off the boat.
Takes me longer. Besides turning off electrics and plugging into shore, I take down the flags and give the Coot a freshwater shower.

I said it's not a race but I never answered the OP's question.

I haven't timed it, but we usually leave in the early morning around dawn, as near as possible to slack tide. We allow about 1/2 hour from the time we get to the boat to the time we are underway. I check the mechanicals while my wife puts the food and any extra clothing away. If it's a longer trip we will probably do a lot of preparation a day or two ahead of time.

It doesn't really matter if we take longer than planned, nobody is timing us or waiting for us.

I think most of you are not telling the truth! You take the boat out dirty, bird poop and all. How gross! :eek: You may as well run dirty with your fender down! Not cool! :socool:

There have been previous discussions that 2 to 3 hours is spent maintaining/preping the boat for 1 hour away from the dock. In my cases it's a couple of hundred hour for each hour. :D

Most commercial/charter warm the engine up and check/double check before they leave the dock. :thumb:

Reading the last few posts I must clarify. I'm just talking about how long it takes to go through the checklist. We usually get to the boat Friday night but don't leave our slip until Saturday morning, so we've lots if time for boat washing, etc. we rarely jump on the boat and leave in 30 mins though we can if we "need" to for some reason.

How long does it take to prep your boat to take out, away from the dock? Do you have a check-list?

5-10 minutes. Shades up, drapes open, engine started, external check for exhaust water, engine gages checked, electronics on and checked, horn checked, thruster checked, power & TV cord removed. Strbd stern line untied, strbd spring line untied, strbd bow line untied, port bow line, port spring, port stern and step on the swim step, close & lock the transom door and back out. I do this all myself with the exception of the fenders, shades & drapes, which my wife does. Note: I work around my boat counter clockwise as a habit which is why I don't want guests helping with getting underway or docking. (You ought to see some of the knots that have been tied to cleats, not to mention lines that haven't been untied! They mean well but are a PITA.) Also notice that I didn't mention checking the fluids as I'm on the boat 5 times a week and those things are checked very often. I do not have a check list but am being pressured (my wife) to make one. :confused:

When I was flying, I always used a check list during pre-flight but only GUMP checked the plane before landing. (Prop planes.)

I think most of you are not telling the truth! You take the boat out dirty, bird poop and all. How gross! :eek: You may as well run dirty with your fender down! Not cool! :socool:

There have been previous discussions that 2 to 3 hours is spent maintaining/preping the boat for 1 hour away from the dock. In my cases it's a couple of hundred hour for each hour. :D

Most commercial/charter warm the engine up and check/double check before they leave the dock. :thumb:
As I posted above, we usually leave around dawn so washing the boat beforehand (in the dark) is not practical. We just keep it relatively clean at the dock regardless of cruising plans.

Agree that long periods of idling isn't good. 5 to 10 minutes of idle followed by hours of cruising in a day has no effect. Can't think of a commercial fisherman or charter boat captain that doesn't let there engine warm up before they leave the dock.
Ted

Maybe not. I'm not on a dock so it seems silly to warm the engine with no load when I have 10 minutes of no wake zone to go through. If I were on a dock, I would be even less inclined to idle MY engine and disturb my dockmates with the fumes. But then my old engine doesn't really warm up without a load anyway.

Back
Top Bottom