Prawns/Dungies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larmex99

Vessel Name
Nomad
Vessel Make
Brix 42
I know how closely held everyone keeps their prawn/crab trapping locations so I am not asking for locations. I am leaving shortly on a trip from Sidney BC to Prince William Sound and would appreciate it if any of you could let me know which areas of the inside passage are known for being prime prawn fishing areas. I am pretty experienced at it but am hoping to avoid wasting my time on areas that are barren. I would be happy to reciprocate with prime PWS locations if you are heading to my area. Thanks in advance.

Here's a reliable one for prawns (and crab too): Hoonah Sound, to the NW off Peril Strait, some 50nm north of Sitka. And there's a very nice anchorage (except in strong S wind) there at Half Tide Neck.

We've also done quite well on prawns in Tlevak Strait, south of Hydaburg.

Neka Bay, off Port Frederick, south of Hoonah, is very good for dungies - especially early in the summer before the commercial folks have taken too many. You can see a zillion pot floats there, and still be able to find a spot for a pot or two and pick up some nice ones. I set a single pot there once, and in the morning had 11 dungies, 9 of which were keepers. Lovely anchorage too.

Another favorite anchorage that used to have good crabbing near the NW head of the inlet is Blunden Harbour, on the BC mainland north of Port Hardy. Haven't been there in a few years though.

Anyone have more to share?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom