Prawn/Crab pot Puller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Burgess

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42’ Trawler
can anyone give there opinions on which Puller would be best suited for my 42’ GB?

There are many inexpensive units like the Scotty that fits their mounts. If you use it regularly and want 100% reliable pulling at good speed without having to “assist” the puller with heavy loads I suggest the Electra-dyne units.

Link: https://shop.electra-dyne.com/ED7500-10-XHD-SS-1020S.htm

There are numerous variations depending on how you want to set it up but these are serious pullers not to be confused with light duty pullers. I have used mine several times a day for 3 months a year for almost 10 years without a hiccup.

Also on the 'light duty' end of the scale are the Ace and Trac pullers. These two are identical, one obviously being a knockoff of the other....not sure which. I just bought a Trac but haven't used it. I have friends, though, that have used both brands and like them. Both pullers can use Scotty downrigger mounts. Mine says rated lift is max 110 lbs. Price is around $500, give or take. I'm anxious to try mine.

Last edited:
Ace pullers are popular here. They are made in Nanaimo.

I have a Brutus, over ten years on it and still going strong. If you don't want the associated davit the electric units that generally fit on a down rigger base are amazingly good. The Electra-dyne is the Cadillac, but requires some additional hardware to mount it.

I pull on 4-6 trips a year, twice a day, 450-500' and two sets each pull, usually 5-9 pulls per trip (multi day). On my smaller boat I really like to clear the rail and not have the puller on deck for most of my activities. My Scotty base swivels, holds my down rigger, pot puller, and a rod holder (heavy duty, halibut weight), so I am happy with changing gear for each activity.

Ace makes the Brutus...

JMO

Last edited:
We had an Electra Dyne on our Seasport and loved it. Up here we longline shrimp pots, ten pots on a string with heavy weights on each end, and the Electra Dyne never even slowed down.
I’m a regional dealer for them, if you decide to go that route and there isn’t a closer dealer just give me a shout.

Here we are limited to three pots, I run two on one line and one on the other. We used to be allowed five, but are consistently over harvesting our allotment so it has been cut back for the last two years to just three. With two lines out, the odds are better that if you make a poor set, you will still get some shrimp.

There is no doubt, if price is no object, Electra-Dyne is the best!

I have a Brutus, over ten years on it and still going strong. If you don't want the associated davit the electric units that generally fit on a down rigger base are amazingly good. The Electra-dyne is the Cadillac, but requires some additional hardware to mount it.

I pull on 4-6 trips a year, twice a day, 450-500' and two sets each pull, usually 5-9 pulls per trip (multi day). On my smaller boat I really like to clear the rail and not have the puller on deck for most of my activities. My Scotty base swivels, holds my down rigger, pot puller, and a rod holder (heavy duty, halibut weight), so I am happy with changing gear for each activity.

Ace makes the Brutus...

JMO

I also have a Brutus. I use it on ASD and on my dinghy. I love it. I also have the option that curls the line right into a laundry basket.

Attachments

• IMG_6007.jpg
    IMG_6007.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6008.jpg
    IMG_6008.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6042.jpg
    IMG_6042.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I used the drum on my Ideal windlass to pull prawn traps. I can see that you guys want the industrial ones, but I found the windlass worked great, fast, didn’t heat up with the light load and had a foot switch so both hands were free. Just an idea for someone.

I used the drum on my Ideal windlass to pull prawn traps. I can see that you guys want the industrial ones, but I found the windlass worked great, fast, didn’t heat up with the light load and had a foot switch so both hands were free. Just an idea for someone.

That's a great solution, especially on heavy pots or strings of them. I have an Ideal with vertical capstan...I'll try it out.

Ace pulls 110' per minute, and the built in davit gets the line off the side of your boat. I damaged the switch on mine, sent it in, and they refurbished it for me (new switch and longer cord) and returned it free of charge! I WAS impressed!

As for using your capstan, I guess it comes down to how often you pull. Also if your anchor chain is on the chainwheel with the capstan on top as mine is.

I sit and stack my lines in a milk crate when I am finished shrimping (end of trip), a milk crate holds 600' and a mushroom anchor perfectly. Currents and extreme angles here require an anchor if you want your pots to stay put and not pull off into deeper water.

When I pull from the trawler, I use the windlass. Release the clutch on the chain wheel and use the drum. Easy on the gear, lots of room on the foredeck for the line, traps, etc.
From the dinghy, last year I made up a proper mounting platform for my Scotty swivel mount, so now I can swap out the Pot puller for the downrigger if I feel like fishing. Both Pot puller and downrigger use the same plug.
Difference between the Scotty and the Ace/Brutus style is the winding wheel axle is vertical instead of horizontal, so much lower, easier for less fit folks to manage. Close to the same price. Close to the same speed, arm keeps the line away from the side of the dinghy.

Last edited:
ACE and Brutus are the same thing.? Mine has an arm that keeps the line off the bright work. I also put rebarr on the bottom and I have 600' of leaded line. I made an extension cord so I can pull on either side of ASD. When I use the dink I just stand up.

No more pulling by hand for this kid, nope never again.

I found the the other option its called TRAC Line Hauler, tracoutdoor.com

Back
Top Bottom