Old 02-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: California
Power Cats vs Trawlers for Passage Making

How would you compare the blue water capabilities and suitability of a trawler vs a power cat of similar living space?

Open-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Well, I know that you cannot get a CE rating on a sailing catamaran less than 40' long. Don't know if that holds for power cats. So there is one (or maybe less) point in favor of monohulls.

A second point is that we (or at least some of us) understand the characteristics of mono hull blue water trawlers: ballasted so the point of vanishing stability is 90 degrees or more, downfload prevention, heavy scantlings particularly windows that can stand up to a wall of blue water over the bow, simple robust sytems with redundancy for critical items.

I don't have the same understanding with catamaran power trawlers. Beebe never wrote about them. My gut is that they have never made serious blue water passages, but I am sure the group will correct me.

What is a serious blue water passage. In my mind it is anything longer than reasonable weather forecasts can cover, 5+ days.

David

DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Well, I know that you cannot get a CE rating on a sailing catamaran less than 40' long. Don't know if that holds for power cats. So there is one (or maybe less) point in favor of monohulls.

A second point is that we (or at least some of us) understand the characteristics of mono hull blue water trawlers: ballasted so the point of vanishing stability is 90 degrees or more, downfload prevention, heavy scantlings particularly windows that can stand up to a wall of blue water over the bow, simple robust sytems with redundancy for critical items.

I don't have the same understanding with catamaran power trawlers. Beebe never wrote about them. My gut is that they have never made serious blue water passages, but I am sure the group will correct me.

What is a serious blue water passage. In my mind it is anything longer than reasonable weather forecasts can cover, 5+ days.

David
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
They are very, very stable, up to a point. After that you need to find the escape hatch in the bottom and you'll be sitting on it until the orange chopper arrives which may take a while at 30W.

As far as build quality, just like mono hulls some are better built than others. Some sail cats have traversed the oceans for years.

Like David said, to be suitable it would end up being a pretty good size and I suspect more expensive than a comparable monohull.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Perhaps a power catamaran could be designed for passage making, just to this point, I'm not aware of any being so. We are seeing some builders moving up to larger power catamarans, in the 70'+ range, but they're still not designed for those purposes. I don't see it happening anytime soon as the effort required for the potential payback just does make it viable.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I'd talk to this guy. Interesting fellow and very cool boat; we were rafted to them at Vero Beach moorings (not the one that broke in my other post), and once again here in NC when they were anchored off the channel in Beaufort.

https://bigdumboat.com/faq.html

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I have about 800 nms on a friends 2014 Horizon Power Cat 52, over half of which in the Gulf off Florida's West Coast between Cedar Key and Dry Tortugas. We've avoided seas more than about 3-4 feet or so. The ride is fine, a bit jerky for my tastes. My friend tells me he avoids beam-seas like the plague, but it could be that it's a super nice boat and not everything is nailed down. Boat carried 700g of diesel, and burns about 35gph at 18-kts; or under 7 gph at 9-kts. Small rudders mean she'd really rather be going fast, and she handles chop pretty well at 18-kts, though a seriously wet ride (as you'd expect). I really like sedan layouts where the main living space flows into the aft deck - a powercat is superb for that. An extremely nice layout for warm weather cruising.

Malcolm Tennant (sp?), either NZ or OZ, apparently designed the penultimate bluewater power cats. If you're interested, you may want to take a look. One of his designs - Domino - is for sale (YW link below). Frankly, I think cats make more sense at 60-feet and over. Don't know why I say that, but the lines seem to blend nicely, and I suppose the bridge deck gets higher.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...no-20-3495698/
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #9

City: Houston, TX
Malcolm Tennant for one designed quite a few passage maker power cats, look up Domino. Most of the ones designed for ocean crossing have been designed outside the US though.
JCM-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Guru

Notice the shape of the underside of the (relatively narrow) bridge deck. Designed to break up the water under it and avoid the slamming cats are known for under the right (wrong) conditions.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
We've avoided seas more than about 3-4 feet or so.
That's fair weather. We've all seen more on the Chesapeake, Long Island Sound or Great Lakes....
Old 02-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As i have determined, the sail driven versions are, in many cases, making ocean transits. It seems that a similar, near-identical vessel with slightly larger engins, inboard instead of sail drive would be as, and probably more capable. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I love that Domino boat....man if I were at my retirement boat phase(I am close), I would be all over that boat. That makes so much sense as it relates to speed and efficiency. I was on a blog with the owners of that thing and that boat can make serious passage at alarming speeds with alarming range at those speeds. In the cover page of that listing they talked about "ditching hurricanes". That boat is fast enough to do exactly that. Amazing watercraft!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I have about 800 nms on a friends 2014 Horizon Power Cat 52, over half of which in the Gulf off Florida's West Coast between Cedar Key and Dry Tortugas. We've avoided seas more than about 3-4 feet or so. The ride is fine, a bit jerky for my tastes. My friend tells me he avoids beam-seas like the plague, but it could be that it's a super nice boat and not everything is nailed down. Boat carried 700g of diesel, and burns about 35gph at 18-kts; or under 7 gph at 9-kts. Small rudders mean she'd really rather be going fast, and she handles chop pretty well at 18-kts, though a seriously wet ride (as you'd expect). I really like sedan layouts where the main living space flows into the aft deck - a powercat is superb for that. An extremely nice layout for warm weather cruising.

Malcolm Tennant (sp?), either NZ or OZ, apparently designed the penultimate bluewater power cats. If you're interested, you may want to take a look. One of his designs - Domino - is for sale (YW link below). Frankly, I think cats make more sense at 60-feet and over. Don't know why I say that, but the lines seem to blend nicely, and I suppose the bridge deck gets higher.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...no-20-3495698/
There you go!!
Old 02-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
That Domino boat has 2000nm range at 20 knots....4000 at 10....obviously likely much farther going even slower. There is no "hump" as it relates to going those speeds. IOW, the performance curve is linear through the speed ranges...so you could likely expect 3000 miles at 15 knots. My only knock on the boat is it has only one head...
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
That Domino boat has 2000nm range at 20 knots....4000 at 10....obviously likely much farther going even slower. There is no "hump" as it relates to going those speeds. IOW, the performance curve is linear through the speed ranges...so you could likely expect 3000 miles at 15 knots. My only knock on the boat is it has only one head...
Domino has been for sale for a long time. I'm guessing the single head has a lot to do with it. 60-foot cat with one head? Adding a head might be the only time a remodel of a boat might make a profit.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I haven't been on a catamaran under about 80 feet that I personally found suitable as a full time liveaboard. Not that by any means I've seen all of them. Ann hasn't ever seen one suitable of any length from her point of view, which means ultimately, that's my point of view too. And we liked Dyad and another friend's Crowther overall.

There's a lot to like about cats, but for us, making one a home isn't one of them.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #18
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Notice the shape of the underside of the (relatively narrow) bridge deck. Designed to break up the water under it and avoid the slamming cats are known for under the right (wrong) conditions.

Slamming is not an issue on cats with decent bridge deck clearance.
Some designers and owners will argue that if the "wave cracker" was not there then there would be nothing to slap.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #19
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
One downside of cats is illustrated by Domino: engine access is poor. Down in a narrow and deep hull. Same is usually true of sail cats.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
The irony is almost everybody that has a strong negative opinion about cats have not spent much time on them.. especially offshore. They live really well.. if designed and sailed correctly are very safe and speedy. Engine access is usually better that most twin trawlers.. and they don't need to be stabilized.. either underway or on the hook.
Most of the bad was designed out of cats 20+ years ago

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote