Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

City: Bay Shore NY
Vessel Name: Alexa Grace
Vessel Model: Rosborough Pocket Trawler
Potties

Has any one had good experience with any products for use in waste holding tanks. I'm not fond of the stuff sold in West marine. Any good reports?
Jim
jprohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Search info published by Peggie Hall, here and in other fora (cruisersforum.com sister site, etc.). It's a well-thrashed topic.

-Chris
Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Try these folks.

Roto Molded Water and Waste Tanks
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
What kind of "products"? Paper, treatment, deodorizer...etc...????????
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

sorry..should have been more specific...deodorizers.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Guru

Odor problems are not always from whats in the tank. What is the condition and age of the hoses? Do you have a good filter on vent? If you have Oder problems you are probably flushing with salt water could you switch to fresh water(much less smelly). I and many have used KO products(oxygenating substances) they help. Bio active products are also available and may be a better way to go(takes longer to get results). If it is your hoses won't matter what you put in the tank.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprohan View Post
sorry..should have been more specific...deodorizers.
To know what to use...you have to be pretty specific about your system and how you use it.

If you "hold' for a short time or long, salt or fresh water flush...etc...etc...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
FF
Guru

The best odor control is a full sized vent , which is also required with todays high volume shore pump-outs.
\
Many of the huge charter tubs will have a pressurized air source bubble thru the waste 24/7 like in a fish tank.

This stops aroma complaints from vessels moored alongside.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. j. By far the easiest and best way to control odors is to prevent them from developing. As has been mentioned, a GOOD air supply (not necessarily forced air/oxygen) and an active colony of aerobic (air loving) bacteria in the tank will eliminate all holding tank odors. I'm not sure what WM product(s) you're referring to but I suspect they might be formaldehyde based with some sort of masking "perfume". Most definitely and absolutely the worst thing you could possibly use for holding tank treatment. The formaldehyde, or whatever chemical used, kills all the good bacteria which is what you don't want for a healthy sewage system. Just keep those little animalcules (A van Leeuwenhoek) happy and healthy and you will be too.
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mr. ey' raises a valid point as well. Check the hoses.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Yeah, Peggie's solution is sort of akin to yoghurt for the holding tank.

-Chris
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #11

replaced all hoses last year and am putting a vent filter on this year. Biggest complaint is odors from the vent circulating around the outside of the boat after flushing (I always use fresh water). The vent filter should help; I am asking about the best product to control odors in the tank. ps...this is a great forum...lots of experienced and knowlegable folks out there.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #12

City: Baltimore
For right or wrong. i have done this for over 10 years in my RV. I add about a gallon of water and 1-2 cups of bleach. New to pump out toilets in boats but its worked so far this spring.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Odorlos works for me. RV stores will have it or amazon.

If you don't follow the directions it's not going to work. No bleach or other chemicals just the Odorlos.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 42c. Ewww....Guess what I'm eating as I read your post...Just ewww! (Unfortunate and apt comparison).
Mr. ese. Don't doubt your RV technique works. I think the difference may be RV holding tanks are probably emptied MUCH more frequently than boat tanks. I, for one, have to travel upwards of 2 hours to get a pump out.
Mr. jp. I'd hold off on the vent filter for a bit until you can establish your tank "colony". I've read (somewhere?) they can be problematic-the filters not the "colonies". I will stand to be corrected on that hearsay.
Mr ese. RE: post 15. Yes, I guess you could say we were in a bit of a pump-out vacuum or lack thereof.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #15

City: Baltimore
2hours!?! that sucks. or doesn't suck, i guess would be more accurate.

If i untie and walk the boat down the dock. i can pump without actually starting my engine. Mine has been pumped every other weekend so far this spring likely more often when it gets hot.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #16

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
I was just rereading my autographed copy of Peggy Hall's book last night on this. Bottom line on the chemicals, she recommends (2) Raritan products, KO for odor and CP for cleaning and Odorlos if you go the enzyme route to control odor.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I second Ron and David. Raritan KO and Odorlos.
Did you guys know that Peggie Hall developed the Raritan toilet chemicals and then sold them to Raritan?

Everyone who has a marine toilet should read Peggie's book.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I second Ron and David. Raritan KO and Odorlos.
Did you guys know that Peggie Hall developed the Raritan toilet chemicals and then sold them to Raritan?

Everyone who has a marine toilet should read Peggie's book.
I agree and that is where I got the idea to use Odorlos. I've been using it for many years.

I will add this - If you are flushing with raw water, you are sucking marine plants and animal into your head with the flush water. They dry out and die in the rim of the head and the next flush will bring them and their odor into the head (and boat). If the odor is inside the boat when you flush after not using the head for a few days, this is probably the reason. Installing a filter screen between the thru hull and the the head will help somewhat but the real cure is a fresh water flush head.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Noflex Digestor has worked well for me. Cleaned up a nasty holding tank when purchased from the PO.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I agree and that is where I got the idea to use Odorlos. I've been using it for many years.

I will add this - If you are flushing with raw water, you are sucking marine plants and animal into your head with the flush water. They dry out and die in the rim of the head and the next flush will bring them and their odor into the head (and boat). If the odor is inside the boat when you flush after not using the head for a few days, this is probably the reason. Installing a filter screen between the thru hull and the the head will help somewhat but the real cure is a fresh water flush head.
Until last August, I kept my boat in fresh water. Never had a smell problem on the first flush. Now I'm in brackish water and noticed the difference right away.

My solution is to spray Febreeze Air Freshener into the bowl before the first flush, then do a short flush. It freshens the head and avoids the smell at the same time.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote