Potential New Build On The Horizon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks John, sounds like a good time. Everything will get easier the more you get used to it and get to a routine. Did you not sail and just motored on this trip? I agree the small electric outboards are great. I can't imagine dealing with gas again for a motor in the 2-4 HP range. Was the new flat fender the same "rope" design to match your others? Do you have the porta potty installed or is that something you will only bring when necessary?

Anyway, I enjoy reading about your experiences, keep them coming. More pics are also welcome any time.

Second Launch

Thanks John, sounds like a good time. Everything will get easier the more you get used to it and get to a routine. Did you not sail and just motored on this trip? I agree the small electric outboards are great. I can't imagine dealing with gas again for a motor in the 2-4 HP range. Was the new flat fender the same "rope" design to match your others? Do you have the porta potty installed or is that something you will only bring when necessary?

Anyway, I enjoy reading about your experiences, keep them coming. More pics are also welcome any time.

Our day out was without sails (still in the bag) but we are getting closer to learning how to actually sail. I asked the rope fender manufacture if they would fabricate us a flat fender but no response, so I ordered them online from Wholesale Marine. The fender worked so well we ordered a few more (yes, overkill), two for both sides of the bow until we figure out how to "back out" of the launch ramp. The porta potty arrived and is small and neat. One button push, like electric heads. Have not taken it out of the box and filled it with water yet. We don't plan to use it until we are out sailing for a few hours at a time. The unit fit will fit nicely under the front deck and be out of the way. It is starting to get a little cramped up forward with the anchor and line but so far there is still some room left.

John

Sounds good john, keep up the good work! I still think there is a small daysailer in my future at some point. I do miss sailing and will figure out where to make it fit in one of these days.

Hi John,

Just happened to come across some good instructional sailing videos on youtube. Sounds like you are planning on getting professional instruction. Either way it wouldn't hurt to give some of these a look. There are a lot of nuances to sailing, but the basics are really not difficult especially for a cat boat. Search for "sailing made easy". I'm sure there are others as well to teach basics as well as more advanced techniques.

Our new "flat Fender" (3 each) arrived and I'm looking forward to developing a quick mount and release system to make the launching process quicker. Trying to protect the wood rub-rail and hull is tricky with this little boat since it sits low to the dock. The tow additional rope covered fenders are stuck at the shipping station in Norway for some reason and working with the manufacture to get them moving. With all fenders installed this will be the most protected boat we ever owned. :) All fun.

My message to a guy who offered to teach me how to sail went unanswered so I'm not sure what to take from this. I don't want to be a pest so I will likely continue the search. Weather has turned cool again so no boating this weekend or next with Mary. Needs to be sunny and above 75 degrees for her to step on board. Today we plan to drive to Mission Bay and check out the boat ramps for future launches, don't want any surprises with the boat in tow.

Not much more going on except the unbelievable rising cost to live in San Diego. We are now the pride of the USA with the highest electrical rates anywhere and our homeowners insurance just tripled. This state is out of control and getting worse. The idea of selling everything, buying a bigger boat and leave for Mexico is starting to sound appealing!

John

Learn to sail

JT
I had posted that I know someone, a licensed instructor who specializes in teaching newbies to sail. I assume it was not me you were referring to, and I had not received any messages from you
ZekeZed

John,

There's not too much to learn about sailing that boat. you don't even have a jib to worry about and you are not new to boating. You also have a motor to get you back if you need it. As a self-taught sailor myself, I think if you read up on some theory and pick a nice day (99% of days in San Diego) you shouldn't be afraid to try. Of course I don't know anything about you personally, but formal instruction should not be a hard requirement. Not that you wouldn't learn, but I wouldn't think it's a necessity.

It looks like there may be at least three sailing schools in SD. I’m sure one of them could offer help and probably do it on your own boat.

Sailing Lessons

JT
I had posted that I know someone, a licensed instructor who specializes in teaching newbies to sail. I assume it was not me you were referring to, and I had not received any messages from you
ZekeZed

Hello and thank you for posting your message. You are correct, my reference to speaking with someone about taking us out for a lesson was not you. We continue to struggle to identify someone and would like to take you up on your offer and request an introduction. Please feel free to email me direct at N4061@yahoo.com with their contact information when you have time. Thanks again.

John

Sailing

John,

There's not too much to learn about sailing that boat. you don't even have a jib to worry about and you are not new to boating. You also have a motor to get you back if you need it. As a self-taught sailor myself, I think if you read up on some theory and pick a nice day (99% of days in San Diego) you shouldn't be afraid to try. Of course, I don't know anything about you personally, but formal instruction should not be a hard requirement. Not that you wouldn't learn, but I wouldn't think it's a necessity.

After watching a few on-line video's, I tend to agree it doesn't look to be that difficult but still looking for someone to assist with the first lesson and assist with installing the sails for the first time. Geoff is willing to walk us through the steps via video but prefer someone be there in person.

I'm aware of the sailing schools in SD which offer full classes and something I don't think we require (at least not yet) so we continue to look for someone experienced and willing to take me out for a day. The after sailing margaritas are on me!

Good news, the second set of fenders from the Netherlands made it to the US and should arrive later this week. Almost done outfitting the boat just in time for spring.

John

Sail Rigged

Well, it took a while but the sail is finally rigged. Last week I trailered the boat up to Dana Point (home of PAE Nordhavn) and met a licensed captain who was willing to help me rig the boat. It was the first time he worked on a Cat Sailboat design but had no problem with figuring things out. Despite a few calls to Geoff at the yard in Maine and three trips to West Marine for missing hardware and lines we had the sail up in under four hours. Our plans to launch the boat and test her on the water had to wait for another day since we started late and I didn't want to fight rush hour traffic going home. Plan is to meet again next Monday and "go sailing".

Despite the boat only having one sail there are still more lines to deal with than I originally planned. While I'm sure I will figure them all out and get comfortable over time, currently this is a little over whelming. I did learn how lazy jacks work and already appreciate their purpose to keep the sails from falling into the water when being lowered of "reefed" (I'm already starting to learn some of the terminology).

The custom tan color cloth boot / cover with white thread is a work of art and protects the sail while lowered or being trailered. Every time I discover something new about this little boat I'm impressed.

Being able to store the boat in the garage is another nice aspect of owning a smaller boat. Our earlier trailered boats where all larger and stored on the side of the driveway.

After sailing next Monday, the plan is to partner up with a buddy at work who has sailing experience and take the boat out the following week. Fun stuff.

John

Well, it took a while but the sail is finally rigged. Last week I trailered the boat up to Dana Point (home of PAE Nordhavn) and met a licensed captain who was willing to help me rig the boat. It was the first time he worked on a Cat Sailboat design but had no problem with figuring things out. Despite a few calls to Geoff at the yard in Maine and three trips to West Marine for missing hardware and lines we had the sail up in under four hours. Our plans to launch the boat and test her on the water had to wait for another day since we started late and I didn't want to fight rush hour traffic going home. Plan is to meet again next Monday and "go sailing".

Despite the boat only having one sail there are still more lines to deal with than I originally planned. While I'm sure I will figure them all out and get comfortable over time, currently this is a little over whelming. I did learn how lazy jacks work and already appreciate their purpose to keep the sails from falling into the water when being lowered of "reefed" (I'm already starting to learn some of the terminology).

The custom tan color cloth boot / cover with white thread is a work of art and protects the sail while lowered or being trailered. Every time I discover something new about this little boat I'm impressed.

Being able to store the boat in the garage is another nice aspect of owning a smaller boat. Our earlier trailered boats where all larger and stored on the side of the driveway.

After sailing next Monday, the plan is to partner up with a buddy at work who has sailing experience and take the boat out the following week. Fun stuff.

John

Great to hear John, good luck and keep the updates and pics coming. Eventually you'll come to find how easy it really is. Good luck and keep pushing forward!

First Sail

Well, it took almost five months but yesterday I finally experienced my first sail on the Sanddpiper. Tony (captain who assisted with installing the sails) met at Dana Point Harbor (home of Nordhavn) around 12:30pm on a sunny day, temperature in the low to mid 60's and a little breeze. After launching the boat, we motored out using the side mounted Torqeedo which is amazing. Once around the jetty we were met with 3' swells spaced apart at 18 seconds with a slight breeze. After raising the sail, we turned off the motor and were sailing. First impressions were "these 3 footers are nothing for this little boat" and "amazing feeling". Since the wind was light, we headed back inside to the long channel separated with the ocean jetty on one side and the land on the other. We tacked north (fun stuff) to the basin where the surrounding cliffs created some strong winds and had us leaning and speeding more than I felt comfortable. We circled the basin a few times before heading back and jibing most of the way. I realized tacking is easier than jibing and prefer taking. We headed back outside and sailed about 1/2 mile before turning home to the launch ramp.

I guess you can say I'm hooked. This sailing thing is fun and while I still have a lot to learn I'm up to the challenge. A few observations on the boat include its stability and toughness to handle the stresses caused by the wind and large sail. She tracks perfectly with the centerboard lowered and large rudder. Steering with a tiller is fun and connects me to the boat and the water more than I previously experienced. Moving with the wind (at least the first time) provided a softer ride than I expected. Likely it was due to the relative slower speed, LOA/Beam ratio and water conditions but something felt different and possibly a little safer than a powerboat. Still need to figure this out over time.

Overall, it was a great day on the water and new experience which was the primary objective with this new adventure. Thanks to those who have answered my questions and provided encouragement the past year.

John T.

Good to hear John. I've also found sailboats more stable and comfortable in rough weather than power boats. You do feel more connected to the wind and water especially with a tiller. Not only is tacking easier than gybing, but the ride is a lot differnt upwind than downwind. Sailboats are more stable upwind and the feel is much different. With more practice you'll learn how to control the gybe so the large boom doesn't travel quickly and violently from one side to the other.. You can also tack downwind in strong winds instead of gybing. You can kind of sail in a circle do move the boom from one side to the other on a tack and then head back down wind. Anyway, glad to hear about your initial success. Much more stuff to learn and fun to be had, enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom