Pot Keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I found the answer to my own question. The ABYC has a standard that states that “Means shall be provided on stove top cooking surfaces to prevent cookware from sliding off the stove when inclined to 30 degrees from the horizontal in any direction” The Kenyon cooktop we are getting is ABYC compliant.

Last edited:
I think I found the answer to my own question. The ABYC has a standard that states that “Means shall be provided on stove top cooking surfaces to prevent cookware from sliding off the stove when inclined to 30 degrees from the horizontal in any direction” The Kenyon cooktop we are getting is ABYC compliant.

Ah ha, contain the spill. I think I am compliant

Your link does show the stove top https://furrion.com/collections/rang...ie-cast-grates
if you slide the little red bar to show various views. Beautiful stove. Old Dan's post does show what you need. https://www.google.com/search?q=pot+...0T9XJxlIcPvuqM which are 2 "stove rails" thru-bolted securely into that raised lip on each side of your stove top (have rails fabricated if exact length/height not available), plus 3 sets of "pot holders" or arms that screw/clamp onto the stove rails, come standard in 2 lengths. For the front single burner, you might need extra long pot holders or have them fabricated too. Been cooking on boats for 20+ years. :)

On Fintry, I installed an aluminum ell on either side of the stove -- the ell goes under the granite. You can see a piece of aluminum 1/4" pipe going across the front. It has a threaded rod inside with an acorn nut on each end.

My vision was to use woodworkers clamps -- see McMaster.com part number 5090A21 -- clamped to the ell that would extend across the stovetop -- one or two would hold things in place. We never actually used them -- she's so stable that pots don't move around unless things are so rough that no one wants to eat anyway.

With countertops that aren't stone, you could just screw the ell to the counter.

DSC_5455.JPG

H:\2020 Sale\June 27 pix\DSC_5455.JPG

Jim

I have a plan. My biggest issue/concern is the single center burner. I ordered a set of arms that will work for the two rear burners. Longer arms for the front burner are not made or available. Once I see how the arms are made I will work on a longer set for the single burner - I will likely have to fabricate some or get another shorter set and modify. I will update with pictures when I get it done. Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Congrats on the new ride! We just bought a 44 a few months ago and love it.

Attachments

• 46F1AC75-F563-4EA1-9D00-6C6BEB179344.jpg
    46F1AC75-F563-4EA1-9D00-6C6BEB179344.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I thought that I would provide a quick update. I installed pot keepers yesterday. I ordered the holders online. I made rails from angles that I found at a local salvage yard - a 3 ft. piece of 1" alum angle was $3. The rails purchased online are about $80 each and the way they mounted wouldn't work where I had to put them because they had through bolts. I made 2 rails 17 inches long from the angle, polished them, drilled 2 holes in each, and mounted them adjacent to the stove using 1/4" threaded inserts and sidewalk bolts. I will probably replace the sidewalk bolts with thumbscrews, but I use the sidewalk bolts to cap the holes when the rails are removed. The rails can be removed to open up the counter space when they are not needed - something the Admiral wanted. When the rails are removed I insert a sidewalk bolt in each anchor - they have a larger flatish head and don't obstruct the counter too much.

Attachments

• 20220201_162043[1].jpg
    20220201_162043[1].jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220201_162641[1].jpg
    20220201_162641[1].jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220201_163020[1].jpg
    20220201_163020[1].jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220201_162258[1].jpg
    20220201_162258[1].jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 23
We are the recent new owners of a 44' DeFever. We have had her for about a month and are enjoying her. There were a few things that popped up in the survey that we need to take care of, some just basic good sense and some mandated by the insurance company. But in general nothing too major. One of the seemingly lesser items is the need for pot keepers on the stovetop - this is one that the insurance company is mandating. The stove is a propane unit made by Furrion similar to the one in this link. https://furrion.com/collections/ranges/products/copy-of-17-rv-3-burner-gas-oven-range-with-die-cast-grates.
We have 3 burners with one centered in front and 2 in the rear. In searching for potholders I seem to be having trouble finding something that will accommodate the center burner. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in this area. Thanks in advance.

My suggestion is to contact the manufacturer of the stove and ask them if pot holders are available for that model stove.

We did check with Furrion, the stove manufacturer and they, unfortunately, did not/do not make pot keepers. So, we had to do an after-market solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

I can't comment on the insurance issue because most things insurance makes no sense to me. The stovetop issue I do have a suggestion for, after years of cooking offshore not much works better or is cheaper than screen door springs stretched across the rails to hold a pan in place, assuming you have rails. Rails can be easily added by by bending stanless rod to fit, threading and double nutted to the stove. Good sized shackles dropped down through the oven grates holds baking pans in place pretty well in the oven.

Last edited:

The problem with most railings around the stove is that they serve to give the coffee pot a good spin as it heads towards the deck. The kind that actually grip the pot will work (like those shown by jrplatts) if used and tightened to the pot. My induction stove top meets ABYC compliance without fiddles. I just use a silicon mat under the pot. We often cook when underway. It doesn't help any to stop.

As you can see from the picture, 30 degrees is a heck of a tip. The pot might still be on the stove, but everything else, including the crew, will likely be on the floor.

I hope the author of the article on induction stove use on a boat has figured out all of the misconceptions presented. It reminds me of when microwaves first came into use and people were all in a tizzy about what happens when you put a pot in the microwave. A metal pot. I think most people have that one figured out by now.

Attachments

• 30 degrees.jpg
    30 degrees.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom