Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #1

City: Charlotte
Where can I lease a Camano?

Interested in buying a Camano, but I'd like to lease one with a captain first. Anybody know where I can do that? Thanks!
Never too late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
A long way from home but the San Juan Islands is great cruising this time of year. See Anacortes Yacht Charters- Power Yachts-power yachts for charter in the San Juan Islands

I chartered a Camano from them years ago for a week and really enjoyed the area.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

Thanks, David!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Give me a call. I'd be happy to show you my boat and take you out. Not sure about the leasing part though! Im in Boston and may be selling in September.

Jason 617.817.1136

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ods-38317.html

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Thanks for getting back to me, Jason. You're a little further away than I was looking to travel, but I appreciate the offer. Took the liberty to look up some of your previous posts and found some impressive pictures of your boat. I'd be interested in knowing about how much time you spend on maintaining your boat versus actually using it. Also, why are you thinking of selling it?

Best,
Russ
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
As a one time charterer of a Camano but also an owner of similar sized trawlers, let me give you my thoughts on the boat and some of the mods that Jason did to his boat:

The dinette table is in the way and limits access to the couches. Russ cut his back so he could have a co-pilot and captains chairs below. That made the dinette more usable. But in your climate (assuming that you will keep the boat in NC and use it there) you will probably drive from the fly bridge 98% of the time and having a permanent lower helm chair is not really necessary.

The one we chartered had a foldup lower helm chair that would work in the rare instance it is too messy or cold to drive from the top.

In this case I would remove the dinette table and use a fold up teak or similar table for dining. 90% of your time will be spent lounging on those sofas, not dining and that table is just in the way.

Also not sure I would do a full enclosure for the fly bridge in your climate either.

The engine is a Volvo TAMD41A (I think) which is a solid marine engine. The only complaint I have heard is the cost of parts, but that criticism can be made of Yanmar as well.

That engine will cruise the boat fast at 13-14 kts, but most cruise it slow at about 7 kts where fuel consumption is about 2 gph.

The Camano is a very nice boat for its size.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks, David. I'm pretty much sold on the boat. Finding one I want at a reasonable price is another story.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We owned a 2002 Camano from 2004 to 2008 It is a very well built boat and comfortable for coastal cruising, we cruised the Gulf Coast from Houston to Sanibel Island. We added a Kohler 4 KW generator aft of the main Volvo engine. We carried a 9' Watertender dinghy on the swim platform, a 2 hp honda OB on a mount.
We sold it only because we wanted a larger boat and with wide walk around side decks. A guy from Sweden bought the Camano and shipped it there.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Russ, maintaining these boats are a breeze (as long as you buy a boat that was also taken care of by the previous owner). Mine was. Even an untrained eye can tell when someone takes care of his boat. You don't have to be able to eat off the bilge floor but you get my point. Lol.

No exterior wood is a big plus. Just wax the boat at least once a year and always wash it down after using it. The exterior maintenance is a cake walk.

The engine maintenance is also pretty easy. Other than changing the oil and filters every 100 hours then there isn't much to do. Lol. I'll do a visual check before and after every time I use the boat. If anything seems out of the ordinary then Ill investigate further. I have not had any issues yet. I've done over 100 hours since last July (2017).

When I first bought the boat the previous owner had done some maintenance items after I had the survey. Like new water pump assembly and impellor. Coolant flush and new reservoir. And some other minor things. The TAMD41pa is great! She's a trooper. Does everything I want of her. The best part is that I have total faith in the motor/tranny. Having that peace of mind in your boat is key. I wouldn't even think twice about taking my boat from Boston to Florida tmmrow.....

I'm thinking of selling her because I'm gonna be a full time liveaboard this fall. I've been looking at some trawlers in the 36'-40ish' range and think that I could benefit from a tad more space since it'll be my actual home. Lol.

I still have some planned trips this month and in early August too. I'm not gonna list her yet.......SOON THOUGH. Feel free to call me anytime. I'll answer any questions you have.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: NorWyn
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Agree with all the positive comments here.

We are pushing in on two hundred hours without a major glitch to date including a 7 day run up to Princess Louisa Inlet and back (google it if interested) two runs across Georgia Strait and in seas up to 5-6 feet with both two and three adults on board. The 5-6 footers with a 15-20 knot breeze and a ton of debris in the water(logs and dead heads) was intense but doable though not by preference��.

We have been out in relatively calm (though not totall) weather in the last couple of days in the Vancouver / English bay / Indian arm area with seven folks on board for day trips and are very impressed with how she handled it....if you know the area it is reasonably protected water but with some fair tidal currents under the bridges in the narrows....no issue!

Our boat is pretty stock and we have not done the kind of modifications others have. It suits us really well as is.

I believe you can Charter them here in the pacific north west (both in Washington and bc) though I have not looked into it since we purchased....you will likely find them (again) on google.

Lastly, a good survey and engine inspection by a good diesel mechanic as a subject in the purchase offer is money well spent.

Good luck, with your search!

Chris
NorWyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

Thanks again, Jason. Your comments have been very helpful --- and encouraging.

Russ