Post photos of your boat in big seas here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://youtu.be/yt69DcjgZsA

Paravanes not lowered, block not lowered & secured reducing the center of gravity, skiff is on deck and either not enough weight in the hold or empty, possibly low on fuel and looks under powered. What do you think. Oh and by the way you must watch to the end.

That's always scary, just lucky the weather was good. We had a similar incident once northbound on a tug, just outside Prince Rupert BC. Small troller, a guy and his son on board, sinking. Weather was fine but it was night time, we got close enough to throw a heaving line and pull them to us and got them off the boat. CG came out and got them from us.

That's always scary, just lucky the weather was good. We had a similar incident once northbound on a tug, just outside Prince Rupert BC. Small troller, a guy and his son on board, sinking. Weather was fine but it was night time, we got close enough to throw a heaving line and pull them to us and got them off the boat. CG came out and got them from us.

Nice save on your part ! Even better that the Coast Guard came to you to pick up the survivors. Did you look at post #61 on this thread ? Ugly lucky to have a traveling partner on that trip.

Last edited:
Yes, I have seen that vid many times, very scary! I have been up in those waters and it can get nasty. Top heavy boat, should have been hove to bow into it with that block on deck lashed.

I spent a lot of time in the Bering Sea over the last forty years but the worst seas I was ever in was on the Grand Banks. I was never inspired to bother taking pictures though, I do have a picture of one of the boats I used to run in AK though. Cape Horn 2.jpg

Not a bad video of sloppy weather handling

You guys are crazy !

I tend to stay put or hide when its nasty out. And I plan on keeping it that way.

Nice shots. In my little tiny 20 foot Boston Whaler Revenge I fish Lake Ontario. My worst day so far has been 6 foot waves on a very windy 40 kph day. Nothing compared to you guys on the bigger bodies of water i'm sure. Makes me wonder though how I'm supposed to approach waves like that? If I'm trying to get back home and the wind is coming from that direction I try and take the waves on a 45 degree slant to head on and I still take a beating.

Nice shots. In my little tiny 20 foot Boston Whaler Revenge I fish Lake Ontario. My worst day so far has been 6 foot waves on a very windy 40 kph day. Nothing compared to you guys on the bigger bodies of water i'm sure. Makes me wonder though how I'm supposed to approach waves like that? If I'm trying to get back home and the wind is coming from that direction I try and take the waves on a 45 degree slant to head on and I still take a beating.

Lake Ontario 6 footers are often steep, nasty walls of water. I've had days where 3 - 4 isn't so bad and other days where 3 footers are downright unpleasant in a much larger boat. In a 20 footer, I don't think I'd be out there at all in 6 footers. And nothing you do will make them pleasant, I think. You're pretty much at "keep it from being too dangerous" at that point.

April 2019. Wadden Sea / North Sea. Heading from Cuxhaven to Bremerhaven, Germany in a weather ”window” between storms. 3-4? Foot seas. Not the worst we’ve been in, but nevertheless, pretty uncomfortable. Also, the only rough day for which I have a video handy.

Oops. It says video upload not allowed for me...

Last edited:
Grand Banks

75pics 006.jpg
No pics or video but worked 350km offshore Newfoundland on the Grand Banks for 3 years. 3 times have been in hurricane force winds w/ 18 meter seas.
Pretty darned impressive.

Swells

This is a kind of big wave that hasn't been presented yet.

We were southbound off Cape Caution and encounted these big waves usually called swell.
They kinda gave me the willies though.
Soon after this pic was taken our engine went to idle. After about 10 minutes it came up to normal. And that was a much bigger pucker factor than the big swells. But the swells made me feel like a seagull on 3' seas.

Attachments

• DSCF0475 copy.jpg
    DSCF0475 copy.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 41
View attachment 112314

My son’s 270’ in a hurricane

Damn... That photo took me back. Before I had even read your location I immediately felt it was on LI. Photo is crystal clear in my memory of my brother doing exact lean into hurricane wind - Short Beach - Early 1960's

Last edited:
Not my boat, this is a 158' Steel Trawler, I was there on a 123' boat. I tell skippers when I'm training them, it's not the initial big wave you worry about, you can climb about anything. Its the drop off the back side. If you get cute, wrong angle or too much throttle, the hole left in the ocean will swallow you. The wheelhouse windows on this boat at 35 above water. He suffered no damage...this time. But this is how you blow out windows and peel off radars, dent steel bows...February Bering Sea fishing.

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

Not my boat, this is a 158' Steel Trawler, I was there on a 123' boat. I tell skippers when I'm training them, it's not the initial big wave you worry about, you can climb about anything. Its the drop off the back side. If you get cute, wrong angle or too much throttle, the hole left in the ocean will swallow you. The wheelhouse windows on this boat at 35 above water. He suffered no damage...this time. But this is how you blow out windows and peel off radars, dent steel bows...February Bering Sea fishing.

View attachment 112322

View attachment 112323

Watched a BBC special on freak waves a while back. One Captain described furniture rolling downhill when they were heading down into the trough, before the wall hit them.

View attachment 112322

View attachment 112323

Fantastic photo ! thanks for sharing...:hide:

I don’t have any big seas photos of my boat, because I’m a big sea chicken, plus my wife would kill me if I took her out in anything big.

This is my favorite big sea video. This older couple doing a delivery in a Leopard 39 in the Southern Ocean with mountains of ocean all around them. And they are like, yea! This is fun!

https://youtu.be/hQ-svmgOxqw

That's a very good point. I had a day last year with a fairly short run and a 2 - 3 foot steep chop, us heading straight into it. Not so bad, except for a wave spacing problem. Every set had 2 waves that were spaced just wrong and had me fighting to find the right combination of boat speed and trim. If I didn't have it quite right, the ride (at 16-ish kts on plane) was something along the lines of "splash, splash, splash, BANG". The badly spaced wave pair was just such that we'd come off one and hit the second one while pitched down, as it was just slightly too close. So we would basically faceplant into a wall of water.

I don't have any good videos or pictures of us in anything rough, especially up on plane. Best I've got is this one, I think. Hard to judge wave height in the video, but I recall it being about 1.5 feet quartering around the stbd bow, running about 6.5 kts. https://photos.app.goo.gl/35jRs6vPm8jFQZif8

Last edited:
you can climb about anything. Its the drop off the back side. If you get cute, wrong angle or too much throttle, the hole left in the ocean will swallow you.
While bashing through big ones southbound off the Oregon coast on a 65' boat the reported wave height was 24'. As we climbed a bigger than average wave the mate says "I don't like looking up at those!" When we got to the crest I said "I don't like looking down at that hole!"

Not traveling on a perfect day

I too worked a fishing boat out of Dutch in ‘85 and hit some big seas. Thankfully nothing bad w our current boat. Wife’s balance is not good so we avoid the big stuff

I too worked a fishing boat out of Dutch in ‘85 and hit some big seas. Thankfully nothing bad w our current boat. Wife’s balance is not good so we avoid the big stuff

We will stay at the dock and plan another day or just not go. There has been times when its picked up and got rough but safe just uncomfortable and thats enough for us to say cancel traveling. I think most of us don't go looking for rough water. That being said I still enjoy seeing the videos of the beating lol. These videos are a good reminder pay attention to forecasts or else.:socool:

Back
Top Bottom