Possible to change a T/H transducer in the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A tilted element transducer has the element inside mounted at an angle appropriate to the hull angle or close anyway. They dont require a fairing block.

many times people install regular transducers (not tilted ones) even on a slight vee...say up to say 10 degrees...they work just the same with just a tiny error unless you are doing more than 20 degree rolls.

The angled beam of the fishfinder is enough to overlap the vee of the hull and a fishfinder reports whtever enters the beam first so even on a pretty good angle they still work fine....not the best but fine.

I have 2 inside T'ducers. One , a Garmin, came with an angled mounting pipe. You just twist it until the right angle arrives, epoxy it to the inside of the hull, insert the T'ducer.
The other, Humminbird, came as a transom mount. For $2.00 I bought a chunk of ABS sewer pipe big enough to hold the T'ducer, cut it to th eright angle and epoxied it to th ehull. Works great. That one goes to my fish finder and shows everything I need down to 600 ft.. Also gives me temp, as the hull inside is the same temp as the water outside.

Unless your through hull style transducer is a "tilted angle" transducer, it should be mounted on an angle cut fairing block to cancel out your hull angle. If your transducer comes with a fitted fairing block, it needs to be sliced horizontally in half, band saw works good, at the angle of your hull. The outer half (with the transducer pocket) is placed between the outer hull and the transducer. The inner half is mounted on the inside of the hull over the transducer stem with sealer and bolted down (see picture). Most of the installation can be done DIY, but cutting of the supplied fairing block is best left to someone familiar with hull angles and band saws. . . It's a one shot deal !! :eek:

Attachments

• airmar1.jpg
    airmar1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 171
  • transducer2.jpg
    transducer2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
While normally fairing blocks are used...they don't have to be if you chech the angle of the ducer beam and the bottom of your hull...if enough overlap is available, the ducer works fine.

It can also be mounted in the hull the same way or some liquid containment product that can make the mount more vertical can be used instead.

The big one looks like an Airmar transducer, with a water speed paddle wheel. There should be a number on a tag on the cable somewhere, usually close to the td. It could be a 600 or possibly a 1000 watt, or a tilted element unit. Unless it is on a fairly flat (horizontal) surface I would guess it is a tilted element unit, lack of an inside fairing block anyway.

I found the paper work on one of the transducers. It's a airman b44. I'm hoping it will work with my 740. I see it should be rebuilt yearly an it doesn't look like it will be to hard if I can get the parts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom