Portable power station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwboater

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
I recently bought an "east coast" boat and had it shipped to the PNW. It has electric stove plus AC/heat pumps...but no inverter. Our boating season usually begins in the spring and runs to early fall, so many weeks and months cruising and living on board. All of our boats have had inverters, used mostly for making coffee and reheating leftovers for lunch. I recently got a quote for installing an inverter, all to ABYC standards, and it came to $4,800...just to reheat coffee!

Then I learned about portable power stations; basically, a lithium battery in a case with built-in inverter and an assortment of charging inputs and outputs (AC/12VDC/solar). They are available is a range of sizes between 1000-3000 watt output with 1500-3000 Wh capacities. Cost is between $1200-$3000. The one I'm looking at delivers 1000 watts with 2400Wh capacity.

https://www.bluetti.com/collections/1000-2000w/products/blutti-1500wh-portable-power-station

This new technology seems like a great solution for getting occasional AC power without running the genny. Not only do we get pure sine 120VAC power but we also get added battery capacity! Since we visit marinas in-between anchoring, we should have no trouble recharging the power station from our shore power hookup. Plus, the power station would get some charge when we run the generator to charge up the house batteries. Is anyone using one of these units on their boat or RV? What am I missing?

Seems pricey for just an inverter install but I did mine myself.
Rather than spend all that for a cup of coffee, why not time your battery charge with cooking time. We run the genny for a half to full hour in the morning and at dinner so we can use the microwave. Our stove is propane.

My plan too. Boat has a household fridge supposedly runs 1 amp @120VAC. Equates to 10 amps @12V DC from the inverter plus losses, so 11-12 amps. Figure 50% duty cycle (hopefully it's better than that,) 144 AH per day out of the batteries just for the fridge. I've added 230 usable AH in the house bank (4 GC2's down to 50% SOC) and 400 watts of solar, and a 2000W/80A inverter charger. That means I'll have to run the genset for a while, but not all the time like the PO must have. Also no engine input to the water heater. So I'll probably run the genny for an hour at breakfast and dinner for the microwave and hot water. Hopefully that stays ahead of demand. Boat also had an electric stove that didn't appear to work correctly (knobs didn't always turn on the burners) so I'm swapping that for propane. Installing the inverter has become quite a project. I can see why a certified marine electrician might charge $3800 to install a $1000 unit.

I recently bought an "east coast" boat and had it shipped to the PNW. It has electric stove plus AC/heat pumps...but no inverter. Our boating season usually begins in the spring and runs to early fall, so many weeks and months cruising and living on board. All of our boats have had inverters, used mostly for making coffee and reheating leftovers for lunch. I recently got a quote for installing an inverter, all to ABYC standards, and it came to $4,800...just to reheat coffee!

Then I learned about portable power stations; basically, a lithium battery in a case with built-in inverter and an assortment of charging inputs and outputs (AC/12VDC/solar). They are available is a range of sizes between 1000-3000 watt output with 1500-3000 Wh capacities. Cost is between $1200-$3000. The one I'm looking at delivers 1000 watts with 2400Wh capacity.

https://www.bluetti.com/collections/1000-2000w/products/blutti-1500wh-portable-power-station

This new technology seems like a great solution for getting occasional AC power without running the genny. Not only do we get pure sine 120VAC power but we also get added battery capacity! Since we visit marinas in-between anchoring, we should have no trouble recharging the power station from our shore power hookup. Plus, the power station would get some charge when we run the generator to charge up the house batteries. Is anyone using one of these units on their boat or RV? What am I missing?

Why not just add to your house bank and have a good inverter, that's all you are really doing.

Richard,
You purchased an AT34?
Move the gen start battery to fwd of gen, in the ER.
Add a 3rd 4D battery, in the tank room (2 port, 2 stbd)
That will give you a total of 600amps or usable/dependable 300amps for the house usage.
Add in a 2KW inverter in the overhead of the tank room. Add on a couple of solar panels to the pilot house roof. Solar, switchable to the microwave or galley 120vt outlets. Presto, you will live happily ever after.
That's what I did.
I also put in a 30amp in the galley to assist in doing the "30 amp dance"
Assuming you have the standard NL generator, the output is rated real close to 50amps.

Last edited:
Richard,
You purchased an AT34?
Move the gen start battery to fwd of gen, in the ER.
Add a 3rd 4D battery, in the tank room (2 port, 2 stbd)
That will give you a total of 600amps or usable/dependable 300amps
Add in a 2KW inverter in the overhead of the tank room. Add on a couple of solar panels to the pilot house roof. Solar, switchable to the microwave or galley 120vt outlets. Presto, you will live happily ever after.
That's what I did.

No disrespect intended, but that is exactly what I want to avoid...to add battery capacity, a new inverter/charger, plus solar panels, controller and monitoring, would gobble up a lot of cash and labor to get it up and running. These portable power stations can do it all and with zero modifications to the boat’s AC/DC systems.

No disrespect intended, but that is exactly what I want to avoid...to add battery capacity, a new inverter/charger, plus solar panels, controller and monitoring, would gobble up a lot of cash and labor to get it up and running. These portable power stations can do it all and with zero modifications to the boat’s AC/DC systems.

Well go ahead and get one and report back to everyone. I like them for emergency engine starting, but for the way we cruise, makes no sense. A robust inverter system did. But that's us.

As someone else said, if you are $$ adverse why not just run the generator? You can do a lot more with it than battery pack, and you already own it. Charge batteries, heat water, turn on the heat, put a load on the thing; you gotta use 'em or lose 'em.

Not sure what kind of inverter the portable unit has, but there are now 2 kinds - one old technology transformer type and one newer technology transistor switching type (not sure that is the proper term). They can both provide pure sine wave. The transformer types are heavier. I had one of the transistor types that was about 1/2 the cost of a decent transformer type and it lasted about a 1 1/2 years with relatively light use. Transformer type is going on 4 years now. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the largest Magnum pure sine wave transformer type that I think I would ever need.

Do it all for how long? Just looked at one 1500w @$1500 that runs at 1000w and takes 10 hours to recharge. here is a review, is this what you are looking at?

Hi Nwboater,

Better check the power required to operate an electric coffee maker. A cursory search shows ~1kw (ignoring inefficiencies) needed. So you're proposing to add a $1200 (min) power supply to make coffee? Seems REAL pricey to me.

Like somebody already said-fire up the generator. If you're on the hook, you'll probably need to charge your house batteries anyway. If you desire 110VAC off-grid without running your generator, add an inverter. WAY better solution to this (IMHO) non-problem.

I think the simple answer to your question "...anybody using one of these things?" is NO.

Regards,

Pete

They make a lot of sense. I just bought a small one for my son to use camping. Neat packages at reasonable prices these days.

Make sure you have an appropriate energy budget and understanding of what can and can't be done. Also check charge rates. Some of the ones I looked at had puny chargers and long recharge times.

My concern is that they're essentially throwaway consumer items. I'm sure my son's unit will be discarded in a few years.

If I had a boat like yours I'd swing for a permanently installed inverter.

Just remember, portable Lithium batteries were the cause of the dive boat fire in California. You don't want to leave these batteries unattended on a charger.

It would be easy enough to check the specs to see if one of these could be used.

But assuming it could, then should you? That depends on you, but where I see these as being the ideal thing is a situation like this:

1) You go out camping with buddies every weekend, and each time you take a different person's vehicle/boat. You want to always have your own little power station along. Perfect! Super portable, and you can easily charge it up during the week at your land home, then it will take you through the next weekend with plenty of power for your "devices."

2) You are on a temporary trip. Maybe delivering a boat, or something like that.

3) You are in a mad rush and need to grab something now that you know will work, and be completely independent of a (presumably dodgy) electrical system. Maybe it's a boat you just bought and this will salvage a long-planned weekend trip, then later you will have time to re-work the system.

Of course if you just want one, then that's valid too.

Thing is, these are usually quite expensive for what you get (amp-hours wise). What they are, is cute, quick, and simple.

They are so tempting. It's funny because a friend and I were just saying to each other. "Oh those Jackery power stations are so cute; are we sure we don't have any use for one?" Our answers were both no, so at least for now, no cute Jackery power station.

The simplest way to make coffee is with a SS 8 cup espresso pot (makes 4 std sized cups) .

There fast and the sound calls when finished.

If your range is not yet propane a Sea Swing stove with a gas burner is quick and can be used for many other chores.

$4800 for an inverter install seems like a lot.

Our inverter/charger (2000PSW/70A) cost in the neighborhood of $700 (IIRC) and the installation was mostly labor... with a few bits and pieces of DC and AC cabling, fuses, etc. thrown in. I don't have an exact figure in front of me just now, but I'd guess maybe $1600...

-Chris

:) I am not offended at all.
Have fun and keep us informed.
You might consider buying 2?
Dan.

The simplest way to make coffee is with a SS 8 cup espresso pot (makes 4 std sized cups) .

If your range is not yet propane a Sea Swing stove with a gas burner is quick and can be used for many other chores.

Brand name please?

Just remember, portable Lithium batteries were the cause of the dive boat fire in California. You don't want to leave these batteries unattended on a charger.

Oh, come on. There was no such conclusion in any of the reports. That's speculation, and/or your opinion.

I think he portable power pack is an interesting idea, but agree you need to check the specs carefully, and also reviews. How many times could you crew coffee before it needs a recharge? And how long will it take to re-charge. Also, I would confirm that it's an LFP (LiFePO4) battery inside, and not NMC or LFC. Although there was no finding that batteries caused the Conception fire, I do think large, non-LFP batteries pose a danger on a boat.

You mean this kind? I use a Technivorm at home and a press pot on the boat, but am always looking to up my game.

25076.jpg

Do you have a generator? If you do, use it. We are an "all electric" boat, so I don't feel guilty firing up the genny for coffee.

How many days out on the hook or mooring buoy before you tie up to a marina?

You mean this kind? I use a Technivorm at home and a press pot on the boat, but am always looking to up my game.

25076.jpg

I gave one of these as a Christmas gift to a friend. Had to test it, of course. Excellent espresso.

Already got a traditional Breville at home, but one of these will replace my current French press at the boat. $30 to $60 depending on size.

$4800 for an inverter install seems like a lot.

Yeah.... it could just have been a wrong-headed or extreme profit-seeking quote, but my mind also wandered to the possibility that the overall DC distribution system needs some upgrades and they were included? e.g. OCP, wiring size, other supporting players.

OP if you wanted to share the quote (or paraphrase it) that would be interesting. OTOH, if you are going in the direction of a portable power pack maybe you don't want to pursue it. (But my thinking is that if there are some issues with the DC system you might want to tackle them even if you don't install a big inverter -- for safety -- and then after that the inverter wouldn't be a huge expense anyway....?

I have two of them, just haven't thought of using them on the boat. Not sure why. They seem the most fiddly of my coffee prep methods. Still...

I'd agree with others that this seems expensive for what you get. All the units seem to put a heavy price on convenience and packaging everything together. The component pieces are now dirt cheap and connecting them together very easy. I'm building my own but on an over the top scale to allow for electric galley, dive compressors etc.

If you do go ahead with a ready to use model research reviews as they are notorious for over promising performance and storage capacities

Good luck.

Okay, I can appreciate the skepticism many of you have with this technology. But I've given it a lot of thought and have come to think of it in boat terms--as a dedicated "inverter battery bank". If I go ahead with this, my plan is to add a 120VAC duplex outlet in the galley, labeled "inverter power" and plug it into the power station. It will run the toaster, coffee maker, 600 watt microwave, and charge the laptop and mobile devices. Keep in mind, the built-in LifePo4 lithium battery can deliver 2400Wh of usable power (equal to 2x4D AGM @ 50%) before needing a charge, which can be achieved overnight from shore power or during generator runs. Just guessing, but I think we could go 2-3 weeks before recharging. (An added bonus for those of us who RV in the off-season or experience power outages, is the portability -- take it off the boat and use it at home or take it on the road. All this for for a mere 1.5 boat unit$! Have I won anyone over?

I gave one of these as a Christmas gift to a friend. Had to test it, of course. Excellent espresso.

Already got a traditional Breville at home, but one of these will replace my current French press at the boat. $30 to $60 depending on size.
Sorry for my comment but this has nothing to see with an expresso.
I had one when I was student a looong time ago and still got one aboard but it is in no way making an expresso.

L

Okay, I can appreciate the skepticism many of you have with this technology. But I've given it a lot of thought and have come to think of it in boat terms--as a dedicated "inverter battery bank". If I go ahead with this, my plan is to add a 120VAC duplex outlet in the galley, labeled "inverter power" and plug it into the power station. It will run the toaster, coffee maker, 600 watt microwave, and charge the laptop and mobile devices. Keep in mind, the built-in LifePo4 lithium battery can deliver 2400Wh of usable power (equal to 2x4D AGM @ 50%) before needing a charge, which can be achieved overnight from shore power or during generator runs. Just guessing, but I think we could go 2-3 weeks before recharging. (An added bonus for those of us who RV in the off-season or experience power outages, is the portability -- take it off the boat and use it at home or take it on the road. All this for for a mere 1.5 boat unit$! Have I won anyone over?

Like I said, go for it and report back as to the reality. We, including you, are indulging in speculation at this point. It just seems complicated to me, my goal was always to have as much of a no brainer, just like a land home boat as possible. Admittedly, we have different cruising styles, so that needs taking into account too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom