Old 03-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Emelyn
Vessel Model: North Pacific 36
Portable Night Vision Options

Hi all,

We are looking for inexpensive night vision options but not ready to invest in a permanent installation on our boat. We will save that for our "forever boat" some time in the future.

Our present situation is that we occasionally do some night cruising near our home in the Pacific Northwest. This may involve leaving for a weekend getaway on a Friday evening after work and cruising a few hours past sunset into the pitch dark, then anchoring in a dark anchorage. On moonless nights it can be very hard to see and we are most concerned with the risk of hitting a log or other floating object. (There is a lot of that in the Pacific Northwest). Secondary issue would be having a look around in the anchorage once we arrive.

We are potentially looking for a handheld IR device, which would be relatively inexpensive and we could use for other purposes and/or take with us if we move on to a different boat. Looking for any experience or feedback in that regard:

- I understand IR / thermal imaging technology is the way to go, as opposed to image intensification which still relies on light and is less effective
- We are looking at one called the FLIR Ocean Scout. Anybody with experience using this or anything similar? Is it practical for picking up small floating objects?
https://ca.binnacle.com/p11323/FLIR-...duct_info.html
- Any other suggestions or experience?
- Binoc vs monocular?
- Image stabilization - is it available?
- Can it be mounted and connected to a display or tablet/phone?
- Some people told me that there is a lot of tech available in hunting/outdoor merchandise. Not sure what would be most appropriate or if I'm better sticking to something marketed for marine use like the FLIR Ocean Scout. Again, any experience or suggestions by others would be helpful.

Thanks very much
rherten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I have a $50 infrared ptz camera on wifi that works well inside at night. Does not like looking through windshield.
Maybe try a wired one to monitor.

At night I am on flybridge. The windshield is not clear enough from inside to see logs. IMO.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have a Syonix (sp?). It hooks up via Bluetooth to our IPad so you get a larger image. It isn’t IR though. Works pretty well.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Look up FLir and have a look through their offerings. They used to offer handheld and monocular operation.
I have no idea if they still offer those or the cost but look them up.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Look at night vision attachments for cell phones too.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #6
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by rherten View Post
Hi all,

We are looking for inexpensive night vision options but not ready to invest in a permanent installation on our boat. We will save that for our "forever boat" some time in the future.

Our present situation is that we occasionally do some night cruising near our home in the Pacific Northwest. This may involve leaving for a weekend getaway on a Friday evening after work and cruising a few hours past sunset into the pitch dark, then anchoring in a dark anchorage. On moonless nights it can be very hard to see and we are most concerned with the risk of hitting a log or other floating object. (There is a lot of that in the Pacific Northwest). Secondary issue would be having a look around in the anchorage once we arrive.

We are potentially looking for a handheld IR device, which would be relatively inexpensive and we could use for other purposes and/or take with us if we move on to a different boat. Looking for any experience or feedback in that regard:

- I understand IR / thermal imaging technology is the way to go, as opposed to image intensification which still relies on light and is less effective

….

Thanks very much
More complicated than that. II can work better if window glass is in the way. I have used combo II and FLIR in same instrument. Might still be mil availability, not sure.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Jade Panama'
Vessel Model: 2001 Rayburn Custom 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have a Syonix (sp?). It hooks up via Bluetooth to our IPad so you get a larger image. It isn’t IR though. Works pretty well.
We also purchased a Sionxy low light camera. As Comodave stated, its not IR, but still for the price point has been pretty effective.

We had similar reasons... PNW based, leaving on Fri even and arriving in dark. Did it in Roche Harbor one night and dodging all the anchored boats and pots was ...well... tense.

I added this to a mount, and remote view on an ipad. Now, when it works, its been great. Doesnt need much light to give good view. However, we have problems where it disconnects a LOT from the ipad and have to reboot the device and app to get it going again. This makes it where i dont use it as much as i would like. Will likely bite the bullet and get a full FLIR in the next year or so.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
JP, check this thread out re your SiOnyx connection issues:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...x-62579-2.html
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:14 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: SHENZHEN
some general advice and suggestions based on research.

IR/thermal imaging technology: Yes, IR/thermal imaging technology is the way to go for night vision devices as it can detect heat signatures and doesn't rely on ambient light.

FLIR Ocean Scout: The FLIR Ocean Scout is a popular and reliable handheld thermal imaging camera designed specifically for marine use. It can detect small floating objects and provide clear images in total darkness.

Other suggestions: Some other popular handheld thermal imaging cameras for marine use include the Raymarine T200 and the Seek Thermal Reveal PRO. Both of these devices are also designed for outdoor use and can be used for a variety of purposes.

Binoc vs monocular: The choice between binoculars or a monocular depends on personal preference and intended use. Binoculars provide a wider field of view, while a monocular is more compact and easier to carry.

Image stabilization: Some thermal imaging cameras have built-in image stabilization, which can help reduce motion blur and provide clearer images.

Mounting and connectivity: Some thermal imaging cameras can be mounted and connected to a display
11111energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #10
Guru

City: Boston Area
Will a log be visible to IR if it is the same temperature as the water ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:54 AM   #11
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11111energy View Post
some general advice and suggestions based on research.

IR/thermal imaging technology: Yes, IR/thermal imaging technology is the way to go for night vision devices as it can detect heat signatures and doesn't rely on ambient light.

FLIR Ocean Scout: The FLIR Ocean Scout is a popular and reliable handheld thermal imaging camera designed specifically for marine use. It can detect small floating objects and provide clear images in total darkness.

Other suggestions: Some other popular handheld thermal imaging cameras for marine use include the Raymarine T200 and the Seek Thermal Reveal PRO. Both of these devices are also designed for outdoor use and can be used for a variety of purposes.

Binoc vs monocular: The choice between binoculars or a monocular depends on personal preference and intended use. Binoculars provide a wider field of view, while a monocular is more compact and easier to carry.

Image stabilization: Some thermal imaging cameras have built-in image stabilization, which can help reduce motion blur and provide clearer images.

Mounting and connectivity: Some thermal imaging cameras can be mounted and connected to a display
I know nothing about this topic but it raises a question. Why would you want thermal imaging? How would that help you see things in the water that are the same temperature?
Old 03-15-2023, 12:32 AM   #12

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
On a boat delivery in the short days of November one year, we had use of an Ex military night vision unit. It could be handheld like binoculars or strapped to your head and worn. It had a single objective lens and two eyepieces: monocular in, binocular to you.

IT WAS AAAMAZING.

I still am struck by how well it worked. To some degree, better than daylight but no magnification of size. I think it intensified the existing light. I’m not sure what light it was intensifying because it looked pitch black! If there was light ahead, like car headlights or street lamps on shore, these disrupted your view horribly because it intensifies them too.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:02 AM   #13

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Pendana
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
In my experience the flir didn't really pick up objects in the water. We didn't test with logs but the flir was pretty useless at picking up large commercial crab floats that were temperature acclimated so I imagine logs wouldn't be a significant signature in the thermal.

Also, with night vision people worry about ambient light being necessary to work. We are not talking about a ton of ambient light here. In normal analog image intensification night vision systems even ambient starlight produces enough IR to aid the tube. I dont have any experience with ccd based sionyx type systems, but normal night vision is pretty astonishing as to its effectiveness.
bkcorwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:51 AM   #14
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I fail to see why FLIR is recommended if it won't pick out objects in the water, like logs, lobster pots, navigational bouys, etc. Wouldn't those be the main reasons for night vision? I've never used any and am probably missing something, so please educate me.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:15 PM   #15
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I fail to see why FLIR is recommended if it won't pick out objects in the water, like logs, lobster pots, navigational bouys, etc. Wouldn't those be the main reasons for night vision? I've never used any and am probably missing something, so please educate me.
Its possible to make a case for either one, or neither.

I bought a handheld Sionyx over the winter. With the boat yet to be delivered I can't speak to on the water experience, only stepping into a suburban backyard. Such conditions are ideal with ambient light from homes, and in those conditions it works great.

There are use cases beyond floating debris and crab pots. Buoy markers that have been moved and yet to be updated on your MFD charts, for example.

In theory, the IR versions read temperature differences. Since things like buoys will tend to be still warm from the day's sunlight into midnight they are said to be useful at the end of the day than before dawn. I can't vouch for that. Heavy mist / fog / rain will cool everything, so said to be less useful in those conditions.

LL versions of course need light, so rain / fog / mist hurts performance too. But, one can get an "illuminator" which is an infrared floodlight that paints light ahead that can be read. They have the added advantage of being readable through glass, which IR cannot do. You can mount one inside the pilothouse facing ahead.

In any case, none are perfect. Sometimes helpful, sometimes not. If not, you are no worse off than someone who doesn't have the equipment. If in good conditions, you are ahead of the game. Conditions such as entering a harbor / marina at night some ambient light is likely to be present.

Just don't expect perfection in all conditions.

Edit: For man overboard situations I'd expect the IR versions to be best.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
In my earlier link within Post #8 I provided a fairly detailed write up on using a SiOnyx Camera for a season on the boat if anyone is interested. These cameras are very good, but like all things have + and -.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #17
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
In my earlier link within Post #8 I provided a fairly detailed write up on using a SiOnyx Camera for a season on the boat if anyone is interested. These cameras are very good, but like all things have + and -.
In fact, it was your comments that persuaded me.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:51 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I tested state of the art military night vision, stabilization and FLIR many years ago. At the time they were all rookies in the field....all have been improved greatly, but the physics haven't changed, just the tech.

I gave a lecture to SR USCG officers on Law Enforcement at sea and how these technologies can help.

My bottom line was that when computers get beyond the Atari/Pong stage, tech companies will be able to combine the benefits of all 3, because each alone has some serious limitations.

True they all individually can be a huge improvement over human eyes, but depending on one over another to improve detection of certain hazards just isn't going to happen.

So till a combo of those techs is affordable to boaters, pick what your highest and most frequent need is and use the tech best suited to detect it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
FLIR works great for seeing MOBs and boats. I wouldn’t think it would work as well for logs and crab pots.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:16 PM   #20
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I tested state of the art military night vision, stabilization and FLIR many years ago. At the time they were all rookies in the field....all have been improved greatly, but the physics haven't changed, just the tech.

I gave a lecture to SR USCG officers on Law Enforcement at sea and how these technologies can help.

My bottom line was that when computers get beyond the Atari/Pong stage, tech companies will be able to combine the benefits of all 3, because each alone has some serious limitations.

True they all individually can be a huge improvement over human eyes, but depending on one over another to improve detection of certain hazards just isn't going to happen.

So till a combo of those techs is affordable to boaters, pick what your highest and most frequent need is and use the tech best suited to detect it.

In 2006 I found myself in the USMC night vision lab at Quantico. Brand new. Dial a brightness level controllers. I tested an unmounted FLIR device in zero light. I could see clearly cardboard boxes on a table. Not sure what the temperature differential was but no doubt sub 1 degree.
Another data point on FLIR. At a trade show, looked at peoples footsteps dissipating on carpet after 5 seconds or so. This data is now a decade and a half old.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote