Port Townsend Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
Hey locals, what's the state of the PT canal? Seems pretty narrow on the charts, is there room enough if going north & encounter oncoming traffic?

Depends on the size of the traffic, but two 50' vessels passing is possible unless both want center of channel. Also be aware of velocity of current during tide changes.

Keith

What on earth is the Port Townsend canal????

yes its totally doable, plenty of room. watch the rock jetty on the South entrance at high tide.. Current can be very strong. Plenty of width also.
HOLLYWOOD

Oh yea I remember that. Nothing new about that. I went through there in the late 60's w a girlfriend on her dad's 36' varnish queen Chris Craft. We were going to Mystery Bay. Dave made it sound like something new. Think my 10'6" wide Willy could slip through? We go through the Pender Is gap quite often. I looked on my Navamatics chart on my i-pad ... qutie handy.

I have gone through there with my sailboat that has a 7' draft. Not a problem at all. Just watch tide and current. I choose to go through at near high tide, but then my boat is slow and deep. It is a great way to go if you are coming from the Port Ludlow or Hood Canal area.

Thanks guys, I will decide to go that route depending on tide & conditions, thanks.

When we were there in 2014, we didn't hesitate to use it. I can't say what it is now, but then we saw 12' depth all the way and 75' or so channel width. Currents are about 3 knots at peak so I can see that impacting the slowest boats. It's only about 1 nm from end to end so easy to know what kind of traffic you're about to see.

We went through a month or so ago in our 65'. No problem. Just apply the usual seamanship and cautions.

yep, no worries. Anyone know if the Ajax Café is still around?

During larger tidal exchanges the current in the cut can exceed 4 knots. But there's plenty of room for two large recreational vessels to pass.

During larger tidal exchanges the current in the cut can exceed 4 knots. But there's plenty of room for two large recreational vessels to pass.

Topic for a Video? Another that I would like is a transit of the Swinomish channel. I have always been nervous to try it in my sailboat. Not sure of the charted depths are fact or fantasy.

On more than one occasion a tug and barge has gone through.. I run a 70' boat @ 19kts through ( if no other traffic is around) safely. Current can be up to 6kts is tide and wind conspire against you.
HOLLYWOOD

On more than one occasion a tug and barge has gone through.. I run a 70' boat @ 19kts through ( if no other traffic is around) safely. Current can be up to 6kts is tide and wind conspire against you.
HOLLYWOOD
Whoa, Hollywood, I hope you are still talking about Portage Canal and not Swinomish? If you went by La Conner at 19kts in a 70 footer, they're still talkin' about it.:nonono::blush:

Whoa, Hollywood, I hope you are still talking about Portage Canal and not Swinomish? If you went by La Conner at 19kts in a 70 footer, they're still talkin' about it.:nonono::blush:

My guess is he's talking about Port Townsend Canal but then who knows for sure. We reference other posts but often are unclear as to which one.

Last edited:
We've been through the PT Canal many times in boats up to 65'. Weather and tidal conditions should be carefully considered. Especially if you are trying to avoid bad weather SB around Marrowstone Point and Admiralty Inlet.

We use to board sail in Oak Bay just SE of the PT Canal on strong SE winds. We were there because we could count on 5' short period waves from the SE when there was more than 25 knots from the SE for more than a few hours. Oak Bay is a great funnel on a SE wind and those waves really pile up at the entrance to the Canal.

When there was an flood tide and a SE wind it was possible for us to fly off 8' very steep breaking waves just off the SE entrance to the canal.

If the "normal" winter SE gale is strong and preventing your safe SB rounding of Marrowstone Point - then it might be a challenge exiting the canal and proceeding SE in Oak Bay. There would be little or no possibility of turning around to retreat NW back up the canal if you decide not to continue SE thru Oak Bay.

Probably a rare event but one to consider. We used to board sail there in big waves two or three times a winter - for many years.

We sailboaters need to be careful because I have a 61' 6" airdraft and the bridge to Marrowstone Island, across the canal, is 58'.

Last edited:
Topic for a Video? Another that I would like is a transit of the Swinomish channel. I have always been nervous to try it in my sailboat. Not sure of the charted depths are fact or fantasy.

I was going to post earlier that the PT Canal looked like short version of the Swinomish Channel. We took the SC on our maiden voyage when we took possession of Phoenix Hunter. The PO told me he used the channel all the time as the current and seas are more benign than in Deception pass and Rosario. The channel is well marked, well surveyed and I think they keep it well dredged. Just pay attention to your plotter, depth sounder and the channel markers and don't cut the corners to the entrance or exit. It's a nice trip.

http://www.portofskagit.com/la-conner-marina/navigating-the-swinomish-channel/

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Has anybody gone thru False Narrows, between Gabriola and Mudge? From reading, it seems like kelp might be a big problem. I have been tempted, but have not tried it, yet!

Yes the P.T canal. isn't that what this thread is about?
HW

Attachments

• Portage.jpg
    Portage.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 115
In Puget Sound where I have had almost all my experience, I am so used to the idea that "inbound" is always South, or towards the main channels of Puget Sound. So even going North towards PT, I still consider it outbound so leave green to starboard. Sounds like the skipper was thinking that he was going "inbound" to PT, so RRR as you mention.

dhays; said:
Sounds like the skipper was thinking that he was going "inbound" to PT, so RRR as you mention.
Yup. Didn't use all his tools. "Flood" is another one lots of people forget. Many places on our coast WA and BC are confusing as to what inbound or returning is. Just riding the BC Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay can fool you if your not watching. Active Pass can be at odds with logic.

And for the really adventurous, who's taken their vessel (not dinghy) through "The Gut"?

Screenshot 2016-03-13 11.09.09.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom