Old 11-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Port-side lower helm

Hey all - looking at a 42' Uniflite with lower helm and optional slider ... I'm a bit new to the "bigger boat" world and curious if there are issues to a port-side lower helm. Seems like it could be a docking inconvenience/disadvantage since almost all of the lower helms I see are starboard. The boat is a good fit for us otherwise, but would be our first big boat, and don't want to make a misstep if I can avoid it. Appreciate the feedback.

John

JohnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #2

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Whether the helm is port, midships or starboard is utterly immaterial. What difference could there possibly be? Every slip has one boat that ties starboard side and one that's port side tied. There are certainly owners who prefer to tie on the same side as the helm, and may express some preference when selecting a slip in the marina, but the slips are equally divided so neither side has an advantage. After becoming comfortable with the boat it doesn't matter anyway.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
I have a Prt side helm. No big deal. You simply learn to operate from the other side. And for the docking you will have to learn to do both side dockings regularily. The only time you will be docking the same way is in your own slip. NO big deal.

The only real question is the objection that if you and another boat are on conflicting courses and you are in the give way position then the port side helm is a bit of a liability as you may not see the other vessel quite as easily.

However, I have had my port side helm for a lot of years and as far as I can tell if you pay attention it really is not a problem.

Not only Uniflites are this way but some older Tollycrafts and fishing boats which is the basis for mine.

Almost forgot I have also known more than just a few with Uniflites and they never had problems as far as I know.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Port v. Starboard isn't the issue. Either work equally well IF the other features of the boat are aligned to favor the same side. I.e.:

My boat has starboard helm--cabin door is on the right. The bridge helm is centered, of course, but one can only descend on the starboard side. The gates in my rail are on the right. My shore power inlet? Right. Pump out...you guessed it. Fuel, water...yup, right.

Not to say I can only dock to starboard, back-in to left is satisfactory, but once one arrives, your access and services need to face the dock, and that's the side on which you want the helm.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Lynden
Vessel Name: Joint Venture
Vessel Model: 1978 GlasPly 2800 mid cabin
My boat originally had a center helm on the bridge and a starboard helm in the cabin. In 16 years of ownership I used the lower helm once. Decided it was useless for me, couldn't see the water very well and a year later removed it during a cabin remodel. Never have wished it was back, run from the upper helm now or we stay in harbor if weather too bad. I like the ability to see the water and what is in front of me too much.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Thanks for the great feedback everybody - really appreciate it!
JohnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Only reason to be an advantage or disadvantage is IF a single, prop walk may favor docking one side or the other. If it backs to port I can see where port side door could be a plus.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote