Port of Brunswick closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Oklahoma was never repaired. Salvageable items were removed for use on sister ships. The ship was made watertight, and after the war, towed back to the mainland by 2 Foss tugs for scrapping. It sank 500 miles into the tow. A story I read by one of the tug captains told of the difficulties and eventual sinking at night. When they realized it was taking on water they turned around. The steel tow cables were fed from a large drum and about 1/2 mile or more long. The captains realizing the battleship could sink and take the tugs with it, has the clamps holding the cable ends to the drum released. Not much later the Oklahoma took it's plunge. Until the cable reeled off the drum, one engineer said the water force on the prop from pulling the tug backwards caused the massive diesel to stop and then run backwards.

:eek:

Took the boat out today to do some sightseeing. I have to say that the VB10000 is just not as overwhelming as I anticipated. It might be because it’s difficult to be more impressive than a 700 foot long ship on its side.

Yes, it’s tall. About five times taller than any structure on the island. But out in the middle of the Sound it just doesn’t look like a 25 story building floating on water. Then again, I grew up in New York where 250’ tall buildings are tiny.

What I will say is that they have so many vessels and so much equipment out there that the only place you can go now is the actual shipping channel. There just isn’t much room to maneuver on the Jekyll Island side, so we did not attempt a 360.

Finally, it occurred to me today that I can’t wait for this thing to be gone. What was quite a sight for a while has turned into a real eyesore. I look forward to getting our natural view back.

Attachments

• IMG_4656.jpg
    IMG_4656.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 58
Is that a "big dipper" fun park railway installed to amuse the staff between shifts?

One thing we noticed yesterday is that the pelicans have made themselves quite comfortable. There is a net with a boom and a cable around the entire site and there is a pelican on every single foot of that cable. Thousands of them. Also, the bulbous bow is entirely covered with pelican poop.

Unfortunately, once all this stuff is removed, someday, the pelicans will have to move and our marina is less than a mile away. As if we don't have enough of these things already...

Attached photo is from the Unified Command site.

Attachments

• 1000w_q95.jpg
    1000w_q95.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 52
One thing we noticed yesterday is that the pelicans have made themselves quite comfortable. There is a net with a boom and a cable around the entire site and there is a pelican on every single foot of that cable. Thousands of them. Also, the bulbous bow is entirely covered with pelican poop.

Unfortunately, once all this stuff is removed, someday, the pelicans will have to move and our marina is less than a mile away. As if we don't have enough of these things already...

Attached photo is from the Unified Command site.

And pelicans definitely know how to poop. We had them in a marina we kept a previous boat in and it was amazing how much one could poop. I tried a gull sweep and they learned how to just step over it as it went around. Then we had a large windy day and the gull sweep tilted over and still kept spinning around. The problem was that it cut a perfect 180 in the top of a $2000 bimini. So after I replaced the bimini I bought the spyder things and put a bunch of them on top of the bimini and the sundeck top. They didn’t like the spyder things so they went to the neighbors boat. They work great. No affiliation.

So after I replaced the bimini I bought the spyder things and put a bunch of them on top of the bimini and the sundeck top. They didn’t like the spyder things so they went to the neighbors boat. They work great. No affiliation.

On my last sailboat I had cormorants that bent expensive equipment out of the way on the mast top and set up shop there, bombing me with partially digested crustations. I went up there and put the stainless spider stuff up. Wasn't the prettiest thing but it did stump them.

Cormorants can eat a fish and poop out the skeleton whole. Nasty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom