Pondering a DeFever 66

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
Please indulge me for a moment:

Does anyone in TF-world know anything about this DeFever 66 for sale in FL? Seems like a well thought out boat, good live-aboard and with 3200 gallons of diesel, 450 gallons of water, a water maker, stabilizers, thrusters, etc - a potential passage-maker.

66' DeFever for Sale | Motor Yachts, Trawlers | Lapis Lazuli | Curtis Stokes Yacht brokers

IIRC it's bounced around a few brokers and is no longer on YW. Curious is something is terribly wrong with it or if boats in this age/size/price range are just really slow to sell.

Also, is it bad I'm looking up flights to Jacksonville? I'm not seriously considering this boat, am I?

Must. Step. Away. From. Computer!

Attachments

• trawler-for-sale66defever-lapis-lazuli.jpg
    trawler-for-sale66defever-lapis-lazuli.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 294
That’s going to use a lot of OrPine. :)

My first question is whether the teak decks are glued or screwed? ...As beautiful as teak is, to me, when I see teak, I think of death by a thousand razors, or leaks by a thousand holes. Screwed decks are expensive and worse with water leaks, soft spots and other problems that can develop over years. As I recall, the life of a teak deck is estimated around 20-30 years. Nothing is cheap or free--it's just incremental costs of ownership -- pay me now or later, as they say.

In the 90s, I owned a Hatteras built in the 60s--great boat, had meticulous care by the previous owner--but things were constantly aging out and requiring a lot of maintenance. This DeFever is GORGEOUS, but I always have to look beneath the brightwork.

Last edited:
KevinCT - oh I agree. Our current trawler has teak decks which we plan to replace this winter.

I would assume this boat needs the same and more.

I’ve had my eye on that boat for a while. Not sure why, except she’s a beauty. The teak decks would give me pause, but there’s a lot to like about the boat.

Count me in as another volunteer crew for delivery if you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Sunchaser knows his De Fevers,and a lot more. You could PM him unless he sees the thread.

I am not far from this boat if anyone wants some current pictures....... If it’s the one I think it is.

Have at it.
You're a long time dead

Engines put me off a bit given fuel prices here
I did like some of the single screwed, half the fuel burn models available on YW
More on it here
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Defever-Motoryacht-3137902/Jacksonville/FL/United-States

Thanks Simi60, for some reason I couldn't find her on YW. Looks like this YW listing has some more up to date (albeit amateurish) photos. I'm pretty sure the video is from 2015 (based on what's posted in YouTube) so it's a pre-Irma overview.

Realistically the timing isn't right for me to even consider a purchase but she's such a pretty boat with a great layout and at what appears to be a reasonable asking price (condition dependent).

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the boat,but would be willing to go preview it for you. Wouldn't be the first Defever I previewed for a forum member... I don't work for free, it would cost you lunch!

My first question is whether the teak decks are glued or screwed? ...As beautiful as teak is, to me, when I see teak, I think of death by a thousand razors, or leaks by a thousand holes. Screwed decks are expensive and worse with water leaks, soft spots and other problems that can develop over years. As I recall, the life of a teak deck is estimated around 20-30 years. Nothing is cheap or free--it's just incremental costs of ownership -- pay me now or later, as they say.

In the 90s, I owned a Hatteras built in the 60s--great boat, had meticulous care by the previous owner--but things were constantly aging out and requiring a lot of maintenance. This DeFever is GORGEOUS, but I always have to look beneath the brightwork.

I believe by 1987 they were all glued down, vs screws. Even Marine Trader 1988's had teak decks as an option - then glued down over non-skid if purchased.

Don't have any info about this particular boat, however ours is 1972 steel flush deck model that was the base design for later versions using FRP like the one listed. They are great sea boats esp with stabilizers for roll damping, and great to live-aboard having same level salon, galley and pilot house. There is similar one for sale in WA that appears in great shape for comparison. Ours has gone from Japan to Vietnam, through the southsea islands and back to PNW on her own bottom, they are rugged boats. You can't go wrong assuming she is in as good condition as claimed.

Way too much boat for me to ever consider (I think), but what a beautiful rig.

You're asking the wrong crowd if you want to be talked down from the ledge!

I checked the video again and discovered a major shortcoming- only two rod holders.

Don't have any info about this particular boat, however ours is 1972 steel flush deck model that was the base design for later versions using FRP like the one listed. They are great sea boats esp with stabilizers for roll damping, and great to live-aboard having same level salon, galley and pilot house. There is similar one for sale in WA that appears in great shape for comparison. Ours has gone from Japan to Vietnam, through the southsea islands and back to PNW on her own bottom, they are rugged boats. You can't go wrong assuming she is in as good condition as claimed.

Mike50, thank you for the firsthand perspective. It's great to hear that brands other than Nordhavns can and do cross oceans! Something that seems obvious but without a corporate marketing engine behind it it's often unnoticed.

Curious about the one in WA. There was a 60 for sale a few slips down (represented and recently sold by the broker who sold us our current trawler, no less). Is that the one you mean or is there another 66 for sale in WA as well?

I'm finding these to be a bit of a unicorn boat. Great for cocktails on the upper deck, dinners on the cockpit with a comfortable live aboard layout but also a contender for some serious far off adventures.

And they don't have 7 digits in the price tag!

Last edited:
I remember being with a group of boaters last may and we were talking about how we each came to the decision to buy our current boat.

One guy was telling me that they looked at dozens of boats, but as soon as his wife set foot on this one boat, well, that was it. Love at first sight....she knew that this was the one...... "Honey....This is it......Buy this one!!!....." So he went ahead and bought it.

Cant remember who that was.............oh wait. Steve, wasn't that you??

I remember being with a group of boaters last may and we were talking about how we each came to the decision to buy our current boat.

One guy was telling me that they looked at dozens of boats, but as soon as his wife set foot on this one boat, well, that was it. Love at first sight....she knew that this was the one...... "Honey....This is it......Buy this one!!!....." So he went ahead and bought it.

Cant remember who that was.............oh wait. Steve, wasn't that you??

Guilty!!! :blush:

We love our BW40 and plan to use her far and wide but would you be surprised if I told you my wife has already started talking about what she wants in the next boat?

You know how it starts...

"It would be nice to have stabilizers."
"A water make sure would be handy."
"Dick and Jane's live-aboard is pretty amazing"
"We need another stateroom the next time your parents come along!"
"If only we had more seating on the boat deck"
"Wouldn't it be nice to have a cockpit big enough for a table?"

I just add in "and if was seaworthy and sea kindly and we could could go far and wide..."

I'm a lucky guy!

Steven

PS - This also means I need to work extra hard to put the right options in front of her the next time she falls in love ;)

PSS - My joke with her is that I'm going to make my fortune by writing a book titled "How to get your spouse to think it was their idea to buy the boat of your dreams" . :)

Last edited:
I owned a Defever and loved everything about it (51’). Only thing that I didnt like was the mild steel fuel tanks. These things are just a ticking time bomb before they start leaking. I sold the defever and bought a 1991 66’ Cheoy Lee LRC. 3000 gallons of fuel and all tanks are Fiberglass����
Super well built boat!! If your looking at 66’, be sure to check the Cheoy Lee��

Thanks Taras. I do like Cheoy Lee LRCs. However, they seem to be an elusive brand with very few available. There was one here in the PNW that needed a major refit and recently (sadly) ran aground.

I have nothing but time to find the "next" boat so the next one will happen when it happens.

Last edited:
Here is the boat I was referring to in BC.
Length:68'
Engine/Fuel Type:
Twin / diesel
Located In:
Vancouver, BC
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
27424-3031358

Current Price:
Can$ 450,000 Tax Paid (US$ 344,925)

I don't know anything about the boat,but would be willing to go preview it for you. Wouldn't be the first Defever I previewed for a forum member... I don't work for free, it would cost you lunch!

I will strongly endorse Jack (Steve?)’s knowledge of boats. He was kind enough to check out a Defever in Florida for us while we were in Italy and it’s the boat we have today. It was such a help having knowledgeable, experienced eyes on a prospect we were interested in. And don’t let his “fee” scare you off; he eats like a bird.

Only thing that I didnt like was the mild steel fuel tanks. These things are just a ticking time bomb before they start leaking.

Doesn’t this depend on how they’re maintained and whether they were installed so that water can’t remain in contact with the steel? From what I read, there are thousands in service that were installed four decades ago and longer.

Here is the boat I was referring to in BC.
Length:68'
Engine/Fuel Type:
Twin / diesel
Located In:
Vancouver, BC
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
27424-3031358

Current Price:
Can$ 450,000 Tax Paid (US$ 344,925)

Thanks Mike. I've seen this one on and off of YW for a while now. Vancouver is a day trip for me so maybe I can talk my wife into a combo trip.

Trying to figure out the tankage. Assuming it can't actually be 750 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of water -listed as 2 (750) diesel and 5 (100) water.

Still, 1500 gallons of diesel in a 68' boat seems light. I wonder of some tanks may have been decommissioned?

That does seem light on fuel. Ours holds 4,500 in 5 main and 2 day tanks, and 800 water in two 400 gal tanks.

Doesn’t this depend on how they’re maintained and whether they were installed so that water can’t remain in contact with the steel? From what I read, there are thousands in service that were installed four decades ago and longer.

Angus you are correct. Art insisted on builders following plans to minimize corrosion. First, tanks installed so any external water could not be trapped between tank and hull. Second, do not engineer in deck leaks. Third, construct tanks to have minimal flat bottom spaces thus allowing tanks to be drained completely.

An owner can do a lot of self analysis to minimize steel corrosion starting with external inspection, buy the safest fuels, turn the fuel over and keep the tanks topped up during the winter season.

But yes, everything about a boat is a ticking time bomb. A 3 plus decade old boat in its entirety is a risk on a variety of fronts. Especially if lightly used (low hours per year) and a multitude of dock sitting owners.

On a side note, the vessel in question has wonderful engines. The Cat 3306 and it’s cousin the 3406 are near the top of the list for best diesels ever made. These engines have been the back bone for dirt movers, generators and over the road haulers for a very long time.

Last edited:
I don’t know the boat. First it’s more than 30 years old so financing is an issue. This knocks out 80% of the potential buyers. Above 60’ puts you in a whole different world of reacurring expenses, the slip fees, insurance, taxes, etc are very close to what a loan Payment would be. We haven’t even gotten into maintenance and operating cost. By the time you find some one who can handle all these expenses you have found some one who can probably afford a much newer boat that is financable. Starts to get very hard to sell a 1980’s big boat. This boat is looking for a very rare buyer. What is probably hurting the sale of this boat is the lack of a Queen sized guest room. So we need a buyer who has 3 teenagers, lots of money but is cheap so he won’t buy a newer boat, but not so cheap that he won’t buy a boat and wants to cruise to faraway places.

Last edited:
. I don’t know the boat. First it’s more than 30 years old so financing is an issue. This knocks out 80% of the potential buyers. Above 60’ puts you in a whole different world of reacurring expenses, the slip fees, insurance, taxes, etc are very close to what a loan Payment would be. We haven’t even gotten into maintenance and operating cost. By the time you find some one who can handle all these expenses you have found some one who can probably afford a much newer boat that is financable. Starts to get very hard to sell a 1980’s big boat. This boat is looking for a very rare buyer. What is probably hurting the sale of this boat is the lack of a Queen sized guest room. .

So many assumptions, here's some more.
Maybe it'll be bought for cash.
Maybe the boat will actually get used, no slip fees needed
Maybe it'll get cruised in lands where labour costs make it more like a 30 fter to maintain.
Maybe the owner thinks if guests don't like the bed they get they can stay on that other "free" boat. (We don't have a queen size guest cabin, no complaints from guests yet)

So we need a buyer who has 3 teenagers, .

No you don't.
I'd happily buy a boat that size for just the two of us.
lots of money but is cheap so he won’t buy a newer boat, but not so cheap that he won’t buy a boat and wants to cruise to faraway places
I'd prefer frugal.
Its because of our frugality that we could semi retire 30 and fully 20 years before most instead of remaining chained to a desk paying for new boats , marina fees, designer clothes and the latest "look at me" thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom